Speculation: Expansion draft planning from your team?

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
7-3-1 for Colorado and:

MacKinnon
Rantanen
Landeskog
Kadri
Burakovsky

2 of the following:
Compher/Nuke/Jost/Donskoi/new player

Makar
Girard
Graves

Grubauer or Francouz

Forward core would be more than likely Compher and Nuke right now. Despite the last few games I can't see Jost sticking around unless he REALLY keeps this going. I want Donskoi to be top 7 forwards on the team, but he hasn't been so far.

Gru and Frankie it could go either way at this point. As amazing as Frankie is playing now, Gru was playing just as amazing last season & the playoffs.

With the emergence of Graves and the potential rise of Byram/Timmins I think EJ is out of the picture. Zadorov may be left unprotected, but I honestly think he'll be safe.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
CBJ

Bjorkstrand
Atkinson
Bemstrom
Foligno
Anderson
Jenner
PLD

Werenski
Jones
Gavrikov

Elvis?

Leaves guys like Savard, Murray, and Korpisalo open.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
NYI:

Forwards: Barzal, Beauvillier, JGP, Cizikas, Lee, Nelson, Eberle
Defense: Pulock, Pelech, Mayfield or possibly Toews instead
Goal: Varlamov

Exposed:
Forwards: Bailey, Komarov, Dal Colle, Johnston, Clutterbuck, Ho-Sang
Defense: Leddy, Boychuk, Aho, Hickey
Goal: Skarek

based on this list the best options available for Seattle are either Leddy, Bailey or Aho

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
MTL

Danault
Gally (signed)
Domi (signed)
KK
Tatar (signed)
Armia
Lekhonen

Weber
Petry (signed)
Chariot

Price

Most likely to go Mete.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Ovechkin (Expires in 2021 so if Caps has a lot of player to protect they might resign him after the Expansion draft)
Kuznetsov
Backström
Vrana
Wilson
Eller
Oshie/Hagelin/Panik/Hathaway/New player

Carlson
Orlov
Kempny/Dillon/Siegenthaler/New player

Samsonov

I don't think the Caps have the biggest issues looking at their current rooster. Kempny have struggled after his injury (After a really good start coming back). Dillon might be protected if he is resigned or Siegenthaler. None of them are devastating losses. Protecting Samsonov is an easy choice. As forwards go Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, Backström (NMC), Wilson, Vrana and Eller will be protected.

Oshie is really good and if he is just as good next season he should get protected, but if he starts slowing down he will probably be exposed as he has 4 more years after next season and will be 38 when his contract ends. He's almost from Seattle so he might have some extra chance to get chosen. Hagelin/Panik/Hathaway are depth players that they will choose to protect one of if they don't protect Oshie.

I wonder if they do a wink wink nudge nudge with Ovi and wait to sign him until after the ED so they can protect someone else, though they may not be willing to take that risk and they'll just re-sign him during next season like they did with Backstrom.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
The interesting thing about the flyers is Lindblom. He is thankfully doing excellent, better than ever expected with treatments right now. There was a chance we would have been picked before this year. The way he started this year we would have had to protect him as he was prob going to be a 25-30 goal guy. Now I believe he will be exempt. I think JVR or Ghost will be the odd man out.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
I think it was to expose Little to Seattle for a 1st and a Jets prospect, but Little might be finished. So I imagine today it'd be this:

F:
Wheeler
Scheifele
Laine
Connor
Ehlers
Roslovic
Copp/Harkins/Appleton

D:
Morrissey
Pionk
Poolman/Niku

G:
Hellebuyck

I would expect that Seattle would take one of Copp, Harkins or Appleton unless the Jets make a trade.

I think it will be really hard to gauge what the Jets could do until training camp of next season. The D-Core will likely look very, very different which in turn will likely change one or two of the guys on the forwards list that would need protecting. I don't think Poolman or Niku will be on the final list. As well I would expect Lowry to be protected over the Copp/Harkings/Appleton grouping as well.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think it will be really hard to gauge what the Jets could do until training camp of next season. The D-Core will likely look very, very different which in turn will likely change one or two of the guys on the forwards list that would need protecting. I don't think Poolman or Niku will be on the final list. As well I would expect Lowry to be protected over the Copp/Harkings/Appleton grouping as well.

I don't know how I forgot Lowry... but I think the Jets will have to make a trade in order to keep some of the guys.

Reactions: AngryMoose

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Judging by how Poile handled the trade deadline, he doesn't seem to have any plans to retool the current core of the team so with that in mind, they will probably go 4/4/1 again.

Forsberg, Johansen, Duchene, Arvidsson
Josi, Ekholm, Ellis, Fabbro
Saros

Lots of players would be up for grabs including Turris, Sissons, Jarnkrok, Smith (if he re-signs), and Grimaldi. I think Sissons would unfortunately be the one that goes.

I honestly think the Preds go 7-3-1 and trade Ekholm. He will be older than 30 and Davies will be moving up. At LHD the Preds will have Josi, Ekholm, Davies, at RHD Ellis and Fabbro and RHD D pu-pu du jour.

Davies will not be exposed but Tolvanen will. He's played a couple of years in the AHL.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
MTL

Danault
Gally (signed)
Domi (signed)
KK
Tatar (signed)
Armia
Lekhonen

Weber
Petry (signed)
Chariot

Price

Most likely to go Mete.
Rather wait till after the draft to resign Gally,Domi,Petry and Tatar. Gives us 4 free spots.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Canucks are a tough one as we have so many UFA/RFA this off season. So a lot is dependent on who resigns. Hard to even wager a guess. I personally hope that whatever happens these guys are exposed (and one goes):
Myers
Eriksson
Beagle
Roussell

Ledge And Dairy

Man Seattle has a real chance of killing it, soo many teams leaving top end UFA's exposed may create their own enemy.
If Seattle manages to get even 1 or 2 of the top UFA's to jump ship it could cause a ripple effect of other pending UFA's jumping ship.
Car:Hamilton
Bos:Rask
Ari:Stepan
Tor:Anderson
Stl:Swartz
Van:Edler?
Phi:Niskanen?
Wsh:Ovi
Edm:RNH
Min:Brodin
NYI:Cizikas
Njd: Palmeri/Gusev
Col:Landy
Mtl:Gally/Petry

There was a very good chance Hamilton won the Norris this year. He's also a UFA the same summer as the expansion. If he is resigned by Carolina before the draft he will 100% be protected and Skjei will be exposed. If not resigned they will do it after and get a free defense to save

Ledge And Dairy

Calgary:

Forwards: (assuming Lucic waves his nmc as rumoured)
Gaudreau, Lindholm, Tkachuk, Monahan, Mangiapane, Backlund, Dube/Bennett.

Defence:
Andersson
Hanifin
Valimaki

Goalie: (depends on who is the starter after next season, but lets assume Rittich)
Rittich

Notable Exposed players:

Giordano (I think with his age and the fact he will only have 1 year on his contract at that point they should risk losing him over one of their core young dmen.

Bennett/Dube i think this one comes down to who shows more growth by seasons end next year.

Kylington: good young dman but feel he doesnt have the potential of the other 3.

This list is dependent on the Flames making 0 offseason/deadline moves next season which i think wont happen, but overall not a ton to lose as of now.

Valimaki is exempt if he doesn't play this year which looks likely. With the exception of off season trades and acquisitions this list looks pretty accurate

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Devils should make a trade between now and then for a defenseman worth protecting, as now they only really have Severson, Butcher & Subban. If Subban is still on the team at that point, he'll be 32 with one more year left at $9MM, so they're probably better just leaving him unprotected.

At forward, they need to choose 7 to protect from:
Nico
Bratt
Palmieri (possibly pending UFA)
Zacha
Wood
Anderson
Kuokkanen
McLeod
Merkley

Palmieri, Wood or Zacha could all be dealt at some point next season as they continue to rebuild, which could open up a spot to protect another forward. Figure the Devils will lose a young forward along the lines of McLeod, Merkley or Kuokkanen.

Blackwood gets protected in goal.

Don't forget, that Gusev will be eligible for the draft. Of course, he's UFA in 2021, but if Devils resign him, they will have to protect him to keep him.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
San Jose should 100% offer to expose Burns in exchange for a 1st (might not be Seattle's 1st though as other teams might offer a 1st to keep certain players)
That wouldn't be horrible, but I don't see Wilson doing that. Had similar thought on sharks boards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad