Speculation: Expansion draft planning from your team?

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
I imagine we'll bribe Seattle to take Jones or Benson.

Why would we bribe Seattle to take what would probably be their best options naturally? (Jones exposed if we do 7-3-1, Benson exposed if we do 4-4)

If I were the Oilers I'd leave Pulj in the FEL for another year and package him with a lower to middle pick to have Seattle take him at the draft

Reactions: thadd

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
If Washington doesn't protect Ovechkin then Seattle takes him and runs, if that can't resign him they just trade him as a rental to a contender near the TDL and pick up a 1st++

So in your head OV signs a one year contract . Seattle can take a player with no contract if they want but OV will never play for another team . Seattle gets to negotiate with him . OV rejects all offers and a few weeks later signs in Washington for less money .

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Tavares
Kapanen
Johnsson/Kerfoot (suspect 1 is traded)
Engvall
UFA: Hyman - signs after the draft

Rielly
Muzzin
Dermott

Campbell
UFA: Andersen - signs after the draft

Exempt: Mikheyev, Sandin, Liljegren
Exposed: Holl, Bracco

Complicating factor may be a trade for a D and a goalie fulfilling the minimum games requirement

Reactions: Merrrlin

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
They should trade Merkley then. He has a very high ceiling but will never get past the 3rd pair in SJ with both Burns and Karlsson there. IMO he needs 1 year (maybe half) in the AHL then he is NHL ready

I'm not saying Wilson won't trade Burns to one of his stated 3 teams he can be traded to, I just don't see Wilson exposing Burns unless he wants to go open a new franchise in Seattle. (So, DW wont use the expansion to add a 4th team to Burns 3 team NTC.

By the time Merkley is ready for regular NHL time, Burns may be in Dallas (where he owns a home)

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Sens protect

D. Batherson
B. Tkachuk
L. Brown
C. White
C. Brown
R. Balcers
C. Tierney

T. Chabot
C. Wolanin
E. Brannstrom

M. Hogberg

That's if Ryan agrees to lift his clause which he probably would for his last year, and then the Sens try to trade a 1st round pick with Chlapik to Seattle so they pick Zaitsev
Bobby Ryan’s NMC doesn’t protect him from the expansion draft or from trades. It only stops the team sending him to the minors.

This was widely reported during the Vegas expansion draft.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Oilers currently don't even have enough players worth protecting (GIVE US YOUR DEPTH PLZ!!!)
7-3-1

McDavid, Draisaitl, Kassian, AA, TBD, TBD, We might use a protection slot on Puljujaarvi
Klefbom, Nurse, TBD
Koskinen

Not needing protection:
RNH (UFA 2021)
Larsson (UFA 2021)
Kris Russel (UFA 2021)
Bear (2nd Year)
Jones (2nd Year)
Yamamoto (2nd year)

I mean, I guess the Oilers will be required to expose Neal and Khaira on forward
There's a very good chance we won't even have anyone to expose on Defense with 40 games NHL experience.

Mcdavid, Draisatl, RNH, Yamamoto, Puljujarvi, AA, Benson

Klefbom, Bear, Nurse

RFA goalie

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Mcdavid, Draisatl, RNH, Yamamoto, Puljujarvi, AA, Benson

Klefbom, Bear, Nurse

RFA goalie
Puljujarvi, Benson and AA may not be worth protection. Athanasiou's QO will be over 3M and he does not seem good enough to be a top 6 player.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I think it will be really hard to gauge what the Jets could do until training camp of next season. The D-Core will likely look very, very different which in turn will likely change one or two of the guys on the forwards list that would need protecting. I don't think Poolman or Niku will be on the final list. As well I would expect Lowry to be protected over the Copp/Harkings/Appleton grouping as well.

Lowry and Poolman are UFA

Reactions: AngryMoose

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
As of now, I think the Penguins will protect...

Forwards: Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, Rust, ... (the next three are hard to determine and will likely vary depending on the Pens fan you ask) , Zucker, McCann, and Tanev
Defense: Letang, Dumoulin, Pettersson (Marino is exempt)
Goalie: Murray or Jarry (don't know yet)

About the size of it. Some Pens fans want us to bring in a LD to push Pettersson down, but I can't see it for many reasons and the fact it massively complicates this is one of them.

As stands, we'd be exposing Blueger, Hornqvist, Simon and ZAR up front - any of whom might make a push to be protected, I think Blueger is the most likely - JJ and Riikola as dmen (eh, Riikola might interest them) and DeSmith.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Bobby Ryan’s NMC doesn’t protect him from the expansion draft or from trades. It only stops the team sending him to the minors.

This was widely reported during the Vegas expansion draft.

Yes it does, players with NMC can't be expose without their consent.

Players with NTC can be expose tho.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Seattle should just forget all the side deals and draft the best available player from each team. Shuffle and sort after submitting their 30 player list.
Umm okay then

That means that instead of the Seattle team getting a good player from Edmonton, we will trade those exposed players to teams that can protect them.

That's why Vegas did the side deals. Teams were threatening that.

And btw, I think the Oilers are pretty hooped at expansion. We will make a side deal and it will be a very nice one for Seattle. And maybe they can do us a solid and taken a contract of ours, such as Neal, whch would make it a very rich deal for Seattle such as the Columbus, Anaheim, and Florida deals were for Vegas

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Umm okay then

That means that instead of the Seattle team getting a good player from Edmonton, we will trade those exposed players to teams that can protect them.

That's why Vegas did the side deals. Teams were threatening that.

And btw, I think the Oilers are pretty hooped at expansion. We will make a side deal and it will be a very nice one for Seattle. And maybe they can do us a solid and taken a contract of ours, such as Neal, whch would make it a very rich deal for Seattle such as the Columbus, Anaheim, and Florida deals were for Vegas
Side deals are made so that the good players are left alone and lesser players are picked instead. It actually helps the new team to pick the good players first and them build from there.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
price will be traded

With a NMC? Consider this... put yourself in his shoes. You negotiate the NMC and then open that up cause you want out after year 2/3 of 8. The team taking him on can decide to void the NMC and then Price looses it.

It's possible this happens but more probable it does not... not in the short term anyways. Habs would be dumb to trade him, retain salary for up to 6 years, and get a Roy type return cause GM's circle around like vultures looking to take advantage. Habs fans need to give their head a shake

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad