GDT: Expansion Draft IV: It's Happening

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
All this worry about trading the 2nd is misplaced. The Flyers (as it seems every other team in the league did) seem to love Bellemare and didn't want to lose him. Somehow we've managed to fluke the 2nd overall pick, lose our worst skater to FA and our second worst to Vegas.

Life is good.

FIRE HEXTALK! :sarcasm:

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
The only way I see it is if Hextall and Co aren't sold on Patrick. If they like someone like Glass over Patrick anyway, then I can see them doing that.

Hex (and the Flyers) have done a very good job drafting. So if they truely think Patrick isn't worth it, but grabbing two extra 1sts is (it would be like us getting the 6th overall and 15th for free) then I guess go for it.

I would just keep it, but I wouldn't die a thousands deaths if he did that trade.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
The only way I see it is if Hextall and Co aren't sold on Patrick. If they like someone like Glass over Patrick anyway, then I can see them doing that.

Hex (and the Flyers) have done a very good job drafting. So if they truely think Patrick isn't worth it, but grabbing two extra 1sts is (it would be like us getting the 6th overall and 15th for free) then I guess go for it.

I would just keep it, but I wouldn't die a thousands deaths if he did that trade.

Agreed.

Love the Jerry and Uncle Pecos avatar. :yo:

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011

Hextall is tough to read but he seems to have concerns about Patrick's health. I could see him trading #2 for #6+#13+#15. If we could end up with glass and pettersen that would be quite a haul. Again, depends on what he thinks of Patrick. If he thinks Patrick is better then draft Patrick. But if he has a higher opinion of glass then snagging pettersen as a bonus would be pretty sweet. Pettersen could end up being best player in the draft.

Last edited:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I am picturing the following having occurred yesterday:

A knock sounds at the door of Ron Hextall's office. He raises his head from his laptop. "Come in."

"Good afternoon, Ron," says Dave Hakstol, with an uncharacteristic grin on his face. "You did it."

"No, Dave, we did it," Hextall replies.

"That was brilliant the way you set us up for this expansion draft, pumping up Bellemare with the contract and the A. And running this dead-air system. How on earth, though, did you know about pick 13?"

"Shhh, we won't speak of that. Not even in private. Here, have a drink to celebrate."

Hextall passes a tumbler of amber liquid across his desk.

"The negative info you planted about Mrazek seems to be doing its job."

"Indeed. I will give it another few days to fester and then offer a 6th round pick, which the Red Wings will be pleased to accept."

"Excellent, Ron. And I want to be sure I can run the system I want now that pretty much all of our dead weight is gone."

"Of course, Dave. Just like we agreed."

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Hextall is tough to read but he seems to have concerns about Patrick's health. I could see him trading #2 for #6+#13+#15. If we could end up with glass and pettersen that would be quite a haul. Again, depends on what he thinks of Patrick. If he thinks Patrick is better draft Patrick. But if he has a higher opinion of glass then snagging pettersen as a bonus would be pretty sweet. Pettersen could end up being best player in the draft.

He might have concerns, but where on earth do you see that he "seems" to have them?

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
He might have concerns, but where on earth do you see that he "seems" to have them?

He was asked if concerns about Patrick health had been put to bed. He said the team doctor's have a better handle of his issues. He was uncomfortable saying yes- the health concerns were put to bed. That is my interpretation of his body language.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I am picturing the following having occurred yesterday:

A knock sounds at the door of Ron Hextall's office. He raises his head from his laptop. "Come in."

"Good afternoon, Ron," says Dave Hakstol, with an uncharacteristic grin on his face. "You did it."

"No, Dave, we did it," Hextall replies.

"That was brilliant the way you set us up for this expansion draft, pumping up Bellemare with the contract and the A. And running this dead-air system. How on earth, though, did you know about pick 13?"

"Shhh, we won't speak of that. Not even in private. Here, have a drink to celebrate."

Hextall passes a tumbler of amber liquid across his desk.

"The negative info you planted about Mrazek seems to be doing its job."

"Indeed. I will give it another few days to fester and then offer a 6th round pick, which the Red Wings will be pleased to accept."

"Excellent, Ron. And I want to be sure I can run the system I want now that pretty much all of our dead weight is gone."

"Of course, Dave. Just like we agreed."

This sounds like a conversation between James Bond and M in M's office. Well done sir :laugh:

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
He was asked if concerns about Patrick health had been put to bed. He said the team doctor's have a better handle of his issues. He was uncomfortable saying yes- the health concerns were put to bed. That is my interpretation of his body language.

I took it as he was now fine but will never give anything away

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013

Unfortunately your first sentence in your previous post sums it up. Hextall is hard to read, honestly I think he's impossible to read. Nobody has broken any info from the Flyers since he took over.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016

I watched the interview the interpretation I got was he is more clear on what the injuries were and how they were treated and he wasn't tipping his hand if it was good or bad.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Apart from a few names, the D they drafted is old and bad, and they are also up to 13 with only a few that can be sent down.

How do they go about traiding those players? The only players that have value are the one Vegas needs in the future.

This team will be left with 7 or 8 old, slow, bottom pair Dman.

Trades were arranged in advance.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I love how the rumors last night were there would be a flurry of activity once the trade freeze was lifted at 8 am today. Fast forward to 8 am today and the story is there will probably be more trades tomorrow and nothing major today. :shakehead

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Somebody posed a scenario that does make sense, but a lot of moving parts.

Vegas trades 6+15 to Dallas for 3.

Then trades 3+13 to NJD for 1.

Vegas takes Patrick.

Flyers keep #2, obviously take Hischier

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Could also be #6 + Methot for #3.

But it makes sense. To guarantee Patrick you need the #1 overall. NJ aren't going to tell you in advance who they will take.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Could also be #6 + Methot for #3.

But it makes sense. To guarantee Patrick you need the #1 overall. NJ aren't going to tell you in advance who they will take.

Exactly, which is why this talk about the #2 is all over the place.
1) Vegas has to be aiming towards someone
2) Vegas has to wait to find out who's there at #2
3) If you want a specific guy, you have to put yourself in a position to get him regardless.

Icedog2735

Aug 19, 2006
Stratford, CT
Interesting to see that of the 14 defensemen currently in the Vegas organization, 2 are currently FAs and 10 have contracts that are up after the 17-18 season. Definitely a deliberate move amongst the trading for draft picks. This will be a team that is committed to building through the draft.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
price they had to pay not to lose Manson or Vantanen I suppose.

Yeah, I think so, but I personally would have moved Vatanen beforehand. The chatter was that teams weren't scared off by his injury and there was a ton of interest. To me, Theodore isn't so far off that it would hurt their core to have him instead of Vatanen, considering the other pieces they already have back there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad