GDT: Expansion Draft IV: It's Happening

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Vegas might not have the strongest possible NHL roster but they really cleaned up in their trades and they are likely looking at a top 5 pick in a deep 2018 Draft. I think they will be a contender quicker than the previous expansion teams..which is ultimately the goal.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Vegas might not have the strongest possible NHL roster but they really cleaned up in their trades and they are likely looking at a top 5 pick in a deep 2018 Draft. I think they will be a contender quicker than the previous expansion teams..which is ultimately the goal.

Agree however from what I read, there were a lot better players unprotected/the protection rules were much more strict so it was easier to build a competitive team. But I was a small child in the last expansion its only going off reading articles

flybynite77

Mar 1, 2003
Visit site
Agree however from what I read, there were a lot better players unprotected/the protection rules were much more strict so it was easier to build a competitive team. But I was a small child in the last expansion its only going off reading articles

I'm 39 and don't remember the late 70s expansion with WHA, but the 90s/early 00s expansions were much less favorable to the expansion teams.

The rules did change, but in most all drafts teams could protect 14 skaters(which then was changed to 5d/9f. Some were 2 goalies protected, others just 1.

And a lot of the drafts had two expansion teams so that further diluted quality for each team.

1G, 5D, 9F is a big difference from last nights 1G, 3D, 7F. Now the 2 years or less experience did protect younger players, but pretty sure most GMs would say give me the extra 4 skaters

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The quality of rosters don't look all that different from now & then (late 90's/early 2000 expansions) but with no salary cap & less potential players in demand the teams back then didn't really have power to facilitate what LV did for picks & prospects. There were a few trades back then but since most of the players exposed were lower lineup guys the expansion teams were mostly pulling mid round picks in return to not take players. Most teams just let it ride with whatever selection the expansion teams made.

Inclduding this one, this is the players the Flyers lost in that timeframe:

2017 - F Pierre-Edouard Bellemare
2000 - D Artem Anismov & F Martin Streit
1999 - F Jody Hull
1998 - F Craig Darby

The Flyers made a deal in 1998 sending Dominic Roussell & Jeff Staples to Nashville to avoid selecting Paul Coffey. Nashville sent a 7th round pick back to the Flyers. The other drafts in that timefram the Flyers just let it ride.

Last edited:

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Two thoughts that I have on the expansion draft and all the trades that have occurred in the last week.

1) Vegas obviously gives no ***** about fielding the best possible roster, or even a mildly competent roster, this upcoming season. With the picks available (even when considering how the list would have looked if not for side deals), they could have picked a somewhat respectable team. The team they have is absolute trash and it's probably the worst looking roster I've ever seen in my lifetime as an NHL fan. By doing this they're essentially starting their franchise history by tanking for a pick in the 2018 draft. I really don't respect this approach in general, however I think it's also pretty shameless for a team to start it's franchises history in such a way. Although, admittedly, it's probably the smartest thing they could do for themselves when it comes to long-term success and the long-term viability of the franchise.

2) I think the Flyers are looking to be in better shape next season just by the sheer virtue of how leveled out the playing field has become. Although Vegas has a pretty awful roster, a lot of team lost noteable player (Neal, Gusev, Fleury, Schmidt, Theodore, Pickard, Miller, TVR, etc.) and the trades that have been made since then have made some pretty good teams a lot worse. Rangers are looking a hell of a lot worse now that they're down Stepan, Raanta, and Girardi (albeit that the latter is addition through subtraction, but they still have to replace his ice-time). Chicago looks awfully worse being down TVR, Hossa, Hjmarlsson, and Panarin with the only players of ntoe coming back being Saad and whoever the other guy was in the trade. Tampa lost Gusev and Drouin (they got Sergachev back, but he'll be a rookie and Gusev would have been one too). Islanders, although they didn't get worse roster-wise, lost roster players and lost a lot of important assets. Washington lost Schmidt and signed Oshie to a ****ing awful contract. I think we're looking better for next season just because the competition is worse or at least more evened out and we, conversely, only got stronger and didn't lose anyone or anything of real note.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Why Hextall protected Stolarz.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/vegas-gm-mcphee-talks-methot-trade-prospects-ongoing-talks/

McPhee explained that he and the rest of his staff were also hoping to focus on acquiring more goalies via expansion, but weren’t able to.

“Interestingly enough, when we went through the draft, we were looking for those young goalies that maybe we could claim and still get through waivers and have develop in the American league but they weren’t there. Most of those players were exempt,†he said. “We thought we’d be able to get five goalies, two at the NHL level and three working their way up in the minors, but that wasn’t there to do. So we loaded up on defencemen and we ad to move some of them.â€Â

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Why Hextall protected Stolarz.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/vegas-gm-mcphee-talks-methot-trade-prospects-ongoing-talks/

McPhee explained that he and the rest of his staff were also hoping to focus on acquiring more goalies via expansion, but weren’t able to.

“Interestingly enough, when we went through the draft, we were looking for those young goalies that maybe we could claim and still get through waivers and have develop in the American league but they weren’t there. Most of those players were exempt,†he said. “We thought we’d be able to get five goalies, two at the NHL level and three working their way up in the minors, but that wasn’t there to do. So we loaded up on defencemen and we had to move some of them.â€Â

I wonder why McPhee didn't take Linus Ullmark from Buffalo then?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad