Speculation: Expansion Draft Discussion

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
At this point, it's hard to see why we wouldn't dangle Duchene in front of Francis. His contract isn't team friendly, but most teams, if they go 7-3, will protect their top 3 centers, so that stands to be a position the Kraken will be scrambling to fill. For them, he'd be penciled in as their #1C or #2C unless they work some mind blowing deal elsewhere. For us, Duchene isn't our #1C. He's more like a 5th to 7th option at C at this point. He's been in and out of the doghouse (like Fiala and Turris went through) with this coaching staff a bit. I find it very disappointing, but he really seems like the square peg in a land of round holes here.

originalpredfan

Oct 27, 2013
Honestly, I don't care who we protect in the expansion draft as long as we don't protect Arvidson, Duchene, Ellis, and Johannsen. I would consider it a win for us if one of these four was taken and we could retain our up and comers. Of course if we could get value in a trade for either Ellis or Arvy it would be frosting on the cake. I doubt Joey or Duchene would be attractive to anyone considering their contracts.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Duchene and Joey are immovable. I'm hopeful someone could bite on Ellis, but we'd have to take some salary back.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
At this point I'd expose both Joey and Duchene and then get what you can for Ellis whether that's before or after the draft.

Arvy I would move as well if you can get something decent but that contract isn't bad enough you just chunk it.

Reactions: weeze

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Wouldn't mind swapping Arvy for a similar type of player in return looking for a spark in his career. Would have to be a player more fitting in Hynes' system. I firmly believe Arvy's still 20-goal scorer in this league, just not maybe in this team that after Arvy's gone has one 20-goal scorer.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Hey outside fan here, just curious how Johansen has looked this year and last?

His production has slowed down a lot and was wondering if you think he needs a change of scenery/it's a coaching issue. Or if his game looks like it's gonna get worse and worse over the next few years

Thanks in advance !

Last edited:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I think you have to leave Duchene and Joey exposed and hope against hope Seattle takes one.

With Fabbro kindof slipping down the ranks this season and Carrier on the rise, perhaps we could grease the wheels some and offer them Fabbro if they take Duchene? It hitches us to Ellis unless we can find a UFA dman and then trade Ellis or get a younger up and coming dman as part of an Ellis trade.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Hey outside fan here, just curious how Johansen has looked this year and last?

His production has slowed down a lot and was wondering if you think he needs a change of scenery/it's a coaching issue. Or if his game looks like it's gonna get worse and worse over the next few years

Thanks in advance !
I don't think it's a coaching issue. A change of scenery... well, maybe it would bump his production a little, but he already gets pretty prime opportunity here with PP1 usage and the best linemates. His game isn't so much "getting worse" as it has just settled into "what it is". He can be an effective physical presence... when he's on. He can make some nice plays... when he's on. But it's more a matter of consistency with him. I would like him just fine as a big-body 2C who gets paid around $5M. I don't think he will get significantly worse... or significantly better... over the next few years.

Since we don't have a bona fide #1C, and since we don't really have any cap issues (now or projected), I'm content keeping him. I wouldn't go out of my way to move him. He's a useful player for us, despite the overpayment. But I also wouldn't protect him in the Expansion Draft. If Seattle did decide they could stomach his overpayment, just like we can, then I think we could use that $8M more productively. I would not expect Seattle to be interested, mind you. But I would be entirely willing to take that risk.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
With Fabbro kindof slipping down the ranks this season and Carrier on the rise, perhaps we could grease the wheels some and offer them Fabbro if they take Duchene? It hitches us to Ellis unless we can find a UFA dman and then trade Ellis or get a younger up and coming dman as part of an Ellis trade.
Yikes, no, I would not remotely entertain that idea. I am not even one bit down on Fabbro, he may have had a rough game or two after coming back from injury, but that is no reason to move him. I would stay focused on moving Ellis. Fabbro and Carrier are our #1/2 RDs right now, and for all the young PMDs in the system, they are mostly LD. I would hold onto Fabbro. He is just 22, and a key asset for us moving forward.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Fabbro needs to be playing unless he is injured even if it's only on the 3rd pair. Unless he is injured that is completely a coaching choice and a bad one.

This. Tolvanen was one of the few forwards that didn't look absolutely impotent in game 2, and with how bad Ellis and Ekholm looked last game, not to mention how much better overall he is over Gudbranson and Benning, there's really no explanation.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
This. Tolvanen was one of the few forwards that didn't look absolutely impotent in game 2, and with how bad Ellis and Ekholm looked last game, not to mention how much better overall he is over Gudbranson and Benning, there's really no explanation.
He's definitely better than both so play one or the other with Fabbro. This decision isn't even silly, it's down right moronic.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Carrier is showing that he should definitely get a protection slot. Trade or expose Ellis seems like the easiest choice for me but who knows about Poile. The mystery of what's up with Fabbro makes it tricky too.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Carrier is showing that he should definitely get a protection slot. Trade or expose Ellis seems like the easiest choice for me but who knows about Poile. The mystery of what's up with Fabbro makes it tricky too.

If we go the 8-1 route we could protect Ellis/Ekholm/Josi/Fabbro/Carrier and 3 forwards (Forsberg, Arvidsson, Duchene/Johansen?)

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
If we go the 8-1 route we could protect Ellis/Ekholm/Josi/Fabbro/Carrier and 3 forwards (Forsberg, Arvidsson, Duchene/Johansen?)

I'd go Forsberg, Kunin, someone else but yeah that thought had crossed my mind. I'd still be willing to put Johansen/Duchene out their to see if Seattle bites. A couple more games like they have been playing and we pull out the series and the choices get a lot tougher.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: