Speculation: Expansion Draft Discussion

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Weber was my favorite Pred and after the initial shock I was elated by that trade. Overall the Preds are my favorite team so support whatever makes the team better.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Anyone who thinks Poile leaves Kunin unprotected after what he gave up to get him is delusional. Not gonna happen. Take it to the bank

I was just saying that I, personally, would not protect Kunin over Arvidsson if it came down to it. I wasn't commenting on whether Poile will decide to do so.

I will note that Poile has felt fine abandoning other trade acquisitions when he wanted to (Hartman, Turris, Granlund (who went to FA before signing with us last summer)).

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I was just saying that I, personally, would not protect Kunin over Arvidsson if it came down to it. I wasn't commenting on whether Poile will decide to do so.

I will note that Poile has felt fine abandoning other trade acquisitions when he wanted to (Hartman, Turris, Granlund (who went to FA before signing with us last summer)).

Kunin hasnt underperformed and is still under a good contract. The others you mention all got more than a year and didnt live up to expectations

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I just don't even think it's an RV vs. Kunin thing. To me Kunin has his protection slot wrapped up. Second youngest forward on the team behind Tolvanen and scored at a 20g-20a pace for the second straight season. You just can't let that go. The question to me is should RV get protection over Johansen/Duchene/Jarnkrok/Trenin etc.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I just don't even think it's an RV vs. Kunin thing. To me Kunin has his protection slot wrapped up. Second youngest forward on the team behind Tolvanen and scored at a 20g-20a pace for the second straight season. You just can't let that go. The question to me is should RV get protection over Johansen/Duchene/Jarnkrok/Trenin etc.

As underwhelming as Johansen has been, the team can't afford to lose its #1C, not yet, so I'd likely protect him. I would protect Arvidsson over Duchene and Jarnkrok, though. Duchene doesn't need to be protected with that salary of his and scoring 13 points this season and Jarnkrok is serviceable, but more replaceable than what Arvidsson provides, IMO.

What's a little trickier is Trenin, since he's young, was a point per game in the AHL just two years ago and could blossom in the next couple of years, like he did over the course of several years in the AHL. That said, if he blossoms, he probably won't provide more offense than Arvidsson will over the next several years, even assuming that Viktor's 30-goal years are behind him. There's also the fact that Arvidsson's trade value is higher. Finally, Trenin has done so little so far that I'm not sure that Seattle would pick him. I assume that they'll be more interested in the Preds' more seasoned players, like Jarnkrok and Granlund. If it comes down to Arvidsson or Trenin, I think that I'd leave Trenin exposed and take the chance that he won't be taken, rather than expose Arvidsson and know for sure that he will be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scoresberg

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Granlund can't be taken.

The Trenins of the world should be and probably very much are on Seattle's radar. Sure they'll take some good veterans from teams but you have to figure they know everything about every young/rookie type tweener out there.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Granlund can't be taken.

He can be taken, but he probably won't be because he's an impending UFA, which I forgot about. Thanks for reminding me.
The Trenins of the world should be and probably very much are on Seattle's radar. Sure they'll take some good veterans from teams but you have to figure they know everything about every young/rookie type tweener out there.

You'd think, but it's a lot of work to look into every similar player on 30 teams and, besides, I imagine that they want to be competitive immediately and will gravitate to experience over youth, kind of like how Vegas chose Fleury over younger goalies that were available.

Last edited:

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
He can be taken, but he probably won't be because he's an impending UFA, which I forgot about. Thanks for reminding me.

You'd think, but it's a lot of work to look into every similar player on 30 teams and, besides, I imagine that they want to be competitive immediately and will gravitate to experience over youth, kind of like how Vegas chose Fleury over younger goalies that were available.
True, but they need a fourth line too. If you think Trenin is the best young big bodied fourth liner with upside you take him right? I'm not saying that's the case but to build a team you need a fourth line too. Sure there are free agents or old guys/waiver wire types but you just never know what they could want.

Edit: Also, what else have they had to do this season but scout players?

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

Have to keep Trenin! His combination of size and speed works well for the offense and the defense.

Watch out! You are about to be trampled by the Herd Line. The so-called 4th line.

Regardless of the outcome, the Hurricanes will be happy not to see those three on the ice anymore.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I forgot that he's an impending UFA. He can be taken, but probably won't be for that reason. Thanks for the reminder.

Vegas really put Seattle in a bad spot as far as expectations go. Reasonable folks will not believe they should be a year 1 playoff team, but plenty of people such as casual fans and perhaps including those who paid $500M (or was it $600M?) for that team, might believe that Vegas created a blueprint for success under the current expansion draft rules and expect that Francis should turn out an instant winner. If he has the pressure from ownership, he might go with a more veteran lineup for short term success, rather than gambling on potential in guys like Trenin, Jeannot, and Carrier.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
True, but they need a fourth line too. If you think Trenin is the best young big bodied fourth liner with upside you take him right? I'm not saying that's the case but to build a team you need a fourth line too. Sure there are free agents or old guys/waiver wire types but you just never know what they could want.

Well, if you were picking for Seattle, would you purposely select 4th liners because you need 4th liners? No, you'd pick either the 8th-best forward (likely a 3rd liner) or 5th-best forward (likely a 2nd liner), depending on how many forwards the team protected, and put some of them on your 4th line. That's part of what made Vegas good out of the gate.
Edit: Also, what else have they had to do this season but scout players?

True. :laugh:

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Vegas really put Seattle in a bad spot as far as expectations go. Reasonable folks will not believe they should be a year 1 playoff team, but plenty of people such as casual fans and perhaps including those who paid $500M (or was it $600M?) for that team, might believe that Vegas created a blueprint for success under the current expansion draft rules and expect that Francis should turn out an instant winner. If he has the pressure from ownership, he might go with a more veteran lineup for short term success, rather than gambling on potential in guys like Trenin, Jeannot, and Carrier.
Yep, no telling what they'll try to do.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

That's true, but, as I just pointed out, I think that the rules helped Vegas create a more competitive team than past expansion teams. Seattle has the same rules, so they can conceivably put together just as good of a roster. Now, the end result may not be as good for whatever reason, though.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Well, if you were picking for Seattle, would you purposely select 4th liners because you need 4th liners? No, you'd pick either the 8th-best forward (likely a 3rd liner) or 5th-best forward (likely a 2nd liner), depending on how many forwards the team protected, and put some of them on your 4th line. That's part of what made Vegas good out of the gate.

True. :laugh:
You still need gritty players for the line not Arvidsson, it just depends on were they see the value for their team. Right?

If I remember correctly, didn't Vegas flourish because of a mix of veterans and "throw aways" that were stuck in the press box or the AHL that they scouted and picked with a purpose?

Reactions: Osprey

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Here’s what I would do if I was poile. First I’ve been on the phone with Seattle trying to get them to take one of our larger contracts. If it’s me I’m trying my best to get rid of duchene. I was back and forth between him and Joey but in the end I like what else joey brings to the ice if he’s not putting up points. I’ll easily give up this years first plus another roster player like Grimaldi or cousins. I don’t know what Seattle would want but I would sweeten the pot until he was gone. Now if that doesn’t work and Seattle declines I’m protecting forsberg arvi kunin josi ekholm Ellis fabbro and carrier. I get people want to leave arvi unprotected but I still think he still has stuff left in the tank and still can be a 25 goal scorer. I’m trading Ellis right after the expansion to the highest bidder. I still think you can get something good for him. I’ve been impressed with carrier so far and don’t want to lose him because I see him getting better and better and fabbro is still young and capable of improving more. Ellis has to get traded in my opinion and I think there will be some takers for him. Hopefully granlund signs for cheap

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Hey there, Seattle fan here again.

Sure, some casual fans(and of course the national media outless) might think we can do what Vegas did but looking at basically every poll or discussion on that topic most Seattle hockey fans hope for a team that is exciting, a bit younger and might compete for a playoff spot.

And to me, the hope for a playoff spot lies in the fact we're in the Pacific Division and the only way to get there is if a couple of younger guys channel their inner William Karlsson.

Francis is known, looking at Carolina, to built through the draft and more thoroughly instead of just taking every opportunity to take on salary and somewhat bigger names.
He's also been given the reigns of the hockey side and with a guy like Tod Leiweke as the CEO of the Kraken, he should get enough support to built it "the right way".

We're also invested pretty heavily on analytics and Francis embrases them which tells me that going for bigger names, with big contracts and declining production, is not really the way this will go.
So most hockey people in Seattle are expecting him to go the more younger route, unless sweeteners are offered, to ice four lines that can skate and keep a good amount of cap flexibility for free agency.

BTW: We've paid $650 million for the team + $1.15 billion for the arena and another $250 million for the AHL arena. ;)

That's true, but, as I just pointed out, I think that the rules helped Vegas create a more competitive team than past expansion teams. Seattle has the same rules, so they can conceivably put together just as good of a roster. Now, the end result may not be as good for whatever reason, though.

I think there's one thing which helped Vegas that hardly ever gets talked about.

Time

They were announced about a year before they came in which hardly gave teams any time to adjust their rosters for the expansion draft.

We've been announced nearly 2 1/2 years before joining the league which gave teams way more time.
And you can clearly see that by how rosters are structured and by how GM's acted after that(for example there are only 52 NMC's this time around compared to 66 while Vegas was coming in) announcement.

Here’s what I would do if I was poile. First I’ve been on the phone with Seattle trying to get them to take one of our larger contracts. If it’s me I’m trying my best to get rid of duchene. I was back and forth between him and Joey but in the end I like what else joey brings to the ice if he’s not putting up points. I’ll easily give up this years first plus another roster player like Grimaldi or cousins. I don’t know what Seattle would want but I would sweeten the pot until he was gone. Now if that doesn’t work and Seattle declines I’m protecting forsberg arvi kunin josi ekholm Ellis fabbro and carrier. I get people want to leave arvi unprotected but I still think he still has stuff left in the tank and still can be a 25 goal scorer. I’m trading Ellis right after the expansion to the highest bidder. I still think you can get something good for him. I’ve been impressed with carrier so far and don’t want to lose him because I see him getting better and better and fabbro is still young and capable of improving more. Ellis has to get traded in my opinion and I think there will be some takers for him. Hopefully granlund signs for cheap

I'm pretty sure this years first rounder and Grimaldi/Cousins won't entice Francis to take on five more years at $8M for Duchene.
That would take way more and I doubt both sides would find a deal.

Johansen, on the other hand, might be a possibility but that would also cost you quite a bit(at least a first rounder, if you believe what other GM's said about Francis demands during the deadline) IMO and you'd have to decide if that's worth it.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
To me, it's between Carrier and Ellis right now (Carrier, of course, for me). Then it's:

Forsberg, Joey, Kunin, Arvy

Josi, Ekholm, Fabbro, Carrier.

If they take Trenin or Jeannot, so be it. We'll still have the other. That forces them to take one of the bigger deals like Ellis or Sissons but I still think they'll end up taking Jarnkrok.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Not me I'm leaving Arvy floating out there. I'd rather have Trenin or Sissons long term. Basically I'm putting someone out there they either really don't want or we really don't care if they take.

Reactions: predhead1

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Protecting Arvy at this point is silly. Hes damaged goods and a shell of his former self. Ellis is the same, not as big a dropoff in play but a much worse contract than Arvy.

I appreciate the insight of the Seattle fan that Francis wouldnt want Duchene. If true that makes life much easier.

Protect Forsberg, Joey, Kunin and Jarnkrok.

Josi, Ekholm, Carrier, Fabbro.

Francis either releives us of a bad contract or a player in decline, or he takes a replaceable player like Sissons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad