HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Hello fellow Habs fans!

So the expansion draft is coming.

I was wondering... with Price having such a high cap hit, does that make him automatically unmovable?

In other words, do you ask Price to waive his NMC for the expansion Draft and Habs expose him instead of Allen gambling on the fact that Seattle will not take him due to his huge contract and in the process basically protecting both their goalies?

Or is Price too big a name that regardless of the cap hit, Seattle would draft him anyway?

And if they did try this and Seattle ended up taking Price, would that be a such a huge loss for the Habs at this point in Price's career?

Obviously IF Habs were to win the cup and Allen does great it might make this tactic an easier decision, but I was wondering if this is something that A) is possible and B) would the Hans entertain the idea of going through with such a move?

What do you guys think?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Price exposed in the expansion draft narrative needs to stop! He's got a NMC and he's still a top 5 goalie in the world at age 33. People need to get over the fact that he is $1M-$2M overpaid. He's a game changer in the playoffs and in big games if we are playing sound D. Set the stats aside... His high end potential is still top notch! He'll be there for us when we need him.

Reactions: Suzuki x 14

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I think the only way you expose Price is if he asks the team to be left unprotected. I don’t think you ask him to waive his NMC to be left unprotected. I don’t think that would go over well with Price (if he says no) and the rest of the team.

He’s also still a good goalie and can definitely be a difference maker in the playoffs.

Reactions: montreal and rudii

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Price exposed in the expansion draft narrative needs to stop! He's got a NMC and he's still a top 5 goalie in the world at age 33. People need to get over the fact that he is $1M-$2M overpaid. He's a game changer in the playoffs and in big games if we are playing sound D. Set the stats aside... His high end potential is still top notch! He'll be there for us when we need him.
Not saying he is a bad goalie. But can we ride Allen and Primeau for 2 seasons and take that 10.5 million and invest it in a couple key players and further improve the team's overall talent and depth?

Reactions: Tyson

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You wanna expose someone? Expose Gallagher cause he is going to be overpaid too! I have more confidence in Price aging well vs Gallagher. And no, I would not expose either of them. Just a point that Price needs to be left in piece

Reactions: Astormynight

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not saying he is a bad goalie. But can we ride Allen and Primeau for 2 seasons and take that 10.5 million and invest it in a couple key players and further improve the team's overall talent and depth?

Who you going to spend the cap space on? To over pay Danault, Tatar, Armia, Lehkonen?

I understand what you are thinking but Price not in a Habs jersey is a conversation for when he is age 36 and we might have to have a retool or mini rebuild. Weber likely retires after his age 37 season and his salary drops to $1M. Think about moving Price then with retention. Price will be 36 heading into the season without Weber and the cap will be higher. We can retain and move him then (if we have to).

Price is a game changer for us in big games. I would not mess with that cause he is $1M - $2M overpaid.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Absolutely not
This team is playing so well right now, as soon as Price finds his groove it becomes the best team in the league

Despite his not quite stellar start, I think he returns to 2015 form this season. Just a feeling I have.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
You wanna expose someone? Expose Gallagher cause he is going to be overpaid too! I have more confidence in Price aging well vs Gallagher. And no, I would not expose either of them. Just a point that Price needs to be left in piece

Gallagher (and Petry) have NMCs as well. Gallagher's extension included putting an NMC for this year: Brendan Gallagher - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
CLAUSE DETAILS: NMC added to the final year of this contract as part of the contract extension signed on October 14, 2020

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I would expose both Price and Weber due to their age.
Primeau could be brought in and work with Allen.

Price will be 34, Weber 36...might be time to look to the future.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Game changer in the playoffs? Since when? I haven't seen it. 70-71 Dryden was a game changer, 85-86 Roy was a game changer. Price has never played that way in the playoffs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Its a little too early for that type of thinking. If the Flames can live with Giordano until age 38, Habs can live with Weber until age 37. Price will age well IMO.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
More like 4/5M overpaid.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Allen/Primeau is a very risky duo for next year.

Weber claimed would also be very bad as that would leave us with only Petry as a bona fide top3 D and force either Romanov (on his offside), Fleury or Brook in a top4 role. There's no one really interesting in FA for 21-22 to replace Weber either. Not excited about Hamilton, Barrie, Savard, Hjalmarsson, Demers or Montour as a replacement (if any of them make it to FA).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Game changer in the playoffs? Since when? I haven't seen it. 70-71 Dryden was a game changer, 85-86 Roy was a game changer. Price has never played that way in the playoffs.

Price is a victim of being on our shitty offensive team when we make the playoffs. Go look at his stats against the Rangers and Pens/Flyers last year. Stop blaming Price for our lack of offensive teams in the past. Price has not complained about it one bit and he's be patient with us.

Price's stats over the last 40 playoff games..
* 2.10 GAA
* .926 Sv%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad