HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Who's the FA contract goalie that is paid 4-5 million less and is as good as Price?
Why does it have to be a FA contract? Helle who's younger and better is getting paid over 4 million less. Ideally Price is getting 7.5-8.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Allen/Primeau is a very risky duo for next year.

Weber claimed would also be very bad as that would leave us with only Petry as a bona fide top3 D and force either Romanov (on his offside), Fleury or Brook in a top4 role. There's no one really interesting in FA for 21-22 to replace Weber either. Not excited about Hamilton, Barrie, Savard, Hjalmarsson, Demers or Montour as a replacement (if any of them make it to FA).
I doubt either is claimed due to their cap hit (maybe Price) and their age

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Price is a victim of being on our shitty offensive team when we make the playoffs. Go look at his stats against the Rangers and Pens/Flyers last year. Stop blaming Price for our lack of offensive teams in the past. Price has not complained about it one bit and he's be patient with us.

Price's stats over the last 40 playoff games..
* 2.10 GAA
* .926 Sv%
In recent memory I vividly recall Halak standing on his head in 2010. Price has never played in the playoffs like that.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
In recent memory I vividly recall Halak standing on his head in 2010. Price has never played in the playoffs like that.

That's a decade ago when he was 22/23! I just showed you facts on Price's last 40 playoff games (since 13/14 season I believe).

Don't believe me? See for yourself. I think you should listen to what the players say about Price. He is a game changer in net for us. Your just not happy with his consistency and how he can't shelter our flaws.

E180gLg.jpg

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
They won't be around for ever...when do you go in a different direction?

Price probably end his contract with the Habs while I expect Weber to eventually retire (with the Habs or a team that use his cap hit to reach the floor and pay very little real money).

Reactions: Tyson

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Because RFA years matters. If Hellebuyck didn't have 2 RFA years in his contract, I can guarantee you the AAV would be higher.

Also, 7.5-8 is 2.5-3 less, not 4-5 millions.
It would be, but he's still most definitely the better goalie and is younger. The AAV won't be that much higher.

I know, I was merely saying Price's worth.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
That's a decade ago when he was 22/23! I just showed you facts on Price's last 40 playoff games (since 13/14 season I believe).

Don't believe me? See for yourself. I think you should listen to what the players say about Price. He is a game changer in net for us. Your just not happy with his consistency and how he can't shelter our flaws.

E180gLg.jpg
I am not talking about stats or when he was 22. My point is Lundqvist outplayed him a few years ago and we lost. A truly great playoff goalie can steal rounds in the playoffs like Dryden did, Roy did, Halak did. Price has solid playoff stats but I cannot remember one series where I can say he was the difference.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I am not talking about stats or when he was 22. My point is Lundqvist outplayed him a few years ago and we lost. A truly great playoff goalie can steal rounds in the playoffs like Dryden did, Roy did, Halak did. Price has solid playoff stats but I cannot remember one series where I can say he was the difference.

Lundqvist did not outplay Price. Their team did. Price is fine and he will age well. Worry about Gallagher more!

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
RFA years. RFA years usually drive the price of a deal down.
I don't care about RFA or UFA. Price was/is overpaid when he signed that deal without even considering the contract length (8 years!!) which make it even more scandalous. He is signed until he is 40 years old...

If we can find any taker for this horrific contract you accept like yesterday!

Reactions: Frank JT

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I don't care about RFA or UFA. Price was/is overpaid when he signed that deal without even considering the contract length (8 years!!) which make it even more scandalous. He is signed until he is 40 years old...

If we can find any taker for this horrific contract you accept like yesterday!

Whether you care about RFA/UFA years is irrelevant. RFA years drives down the price of a deal. Comparing deals with RFA years to full UFA deals is just dishonest.

He is also signed until he is 38 years old, not 40.

Drive425

Jul 24, 2006
St Louis Du Haha
Would you also like to compare the teams Dryden and Roy had to Price? Absolutely laughable.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I would be really surprised if they don't get claimed if exposed.

Don't forget, Vegas can claim a player and trade them to whomever they want, even eating Ca space to make the deal happen if they so choose.

Vegas could be a facilitator with Price and end up eating as much as 5.25M off his Cap hit for the remainder of his contract to make a deal happen, as per the CBA.

A team missing a G of Price's big reputation caliber for a playoff run could give a ransom in futures for the privilege of getting Price for several years at not much. Afterwards, they could even trade Price and his paltry 5.25M left-over Cap hit. By then, a Price in the twilight of his career might not be calling the shots anymore, NMC or not.

So, Vegas could pick Price and trade him for prospects, a 1st round pick, a 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick, for example.

That might be worth it for Seattle to eat 5.25M in Cap space?

Of course, Price would have to waive his NMC and, maybe he would if he knew the final destination and wanted to do so for a shot at the Stanley Cup.

(Price in Colorado, as an example?)

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Because RFA years matters. If Hellebuyck didn't have 2 RFA years in his contract, I can guarantee you the AAV would be higher.

Also, 7.5-8 is 2.5-3 less, not 4-5 millions.
Hellebuyck is at 6.16M cap hit
Connor Hellebuyck - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Gibson is at 6.4M cap hit
John Gibson - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Price is at 10.5M cap hit
Carey Price - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Difference of Price cap hit with them are between 4.1M and 4.34M. Nice try.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
Hellebuyck is at 6.16M cap hit
Connor Hellebuyck - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Gibson is at 6.4M cap hit
John Gibson - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Price is at 10.5M cap hit
Carey Price - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Difference of Price cap hit with them are between 4.1M and 4.34M. Nice try.

Sweet, now compare Toffoli's contract to Skinner's. At least these two were UFA when they signed.
Price IS and STILL is the best goalie in the league, like it or not. Our opinion doesn't have value to his contract. The people playing the game on the ice and watching his every move knows his value. You're going to say that the NHL players doesnt know what they are talking about when they are saying that Price is still the best goalie and by a mile? Same for the coaches and Gms.

Gibson signed in 2018 after a season of .926 :O omg thats some goods save%, but oh wait. Full team control over that contract, and has the worst goalie's stats of his team, somehow. This is still a TEAM game. Goalies stats are so shit tbh, you can let 5 goals in and yet you had to stop 20-30 scoring chance in a game.

Oh, and Gibson is .912% in playoffs, he sucks.:sarcasm:

Last edited:

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Sweet, now compare Toffoli's contract to Skinner's. At least these two were UFA when they signed.
Price IS and STILL is the best goalie in the league, like it or not. Our opinion doesn't have value to his contract. The people playing the game on the ice and watching his every move knows his value. You're going to say that the NHL players doesnt know what they are talking about when they are saying that Price is still the best goalie and by a mile? Same for the coaches and Gms.

Gibson signed in 2018 after a season of .926 :O omg thats some goods save%, but oh wait. Full team control over that contract, and has the worst goalie's stats of his team, somehow. This is still a TEAM game. Goalies stats are so shit tbh, you can let 5 goals in and yet you had to stop 20-30 scoring chance in a game.

Oh, and Gibson is .912% in playoffs, he sucks.:sarcasm:
Price is the highest paid goaltender right now and should remain that way until he is 38 years old!

He has been "labelled" the best based on previous hype just like some people might still see Crosby as the top NHL player. And most of that hype came around the time he won the gold medal with Canada.

The past few years his form has been horrible and he is not as consistent as he used to be. That is terrible when you consider he still has 5 more years on his contract after this year. Ask any GM who they take now and Price is nowhere near the top.

As for your point about Skinner/Toffoli I don't get it. Because we got Toffoli instead of Skinner that should excuse Price cap hit? That's just bad squad management.

I mean ask any Buffalo fans if they could get rid of Skinner salary. Hint: They would gladly let him go for free and never look back. And we should 100% consider that option with Price if we can ship him to Seattle for free. That's the point. Price contract is an anchor and might prevent us contending in the long run if his form continue to dip like it has been for the past few years. It will only get worse with time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland