HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021 Thread: Price Waives NMC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
If Price gets taken, we're rebuilding. Don't get excited about cap space because we won't be going out trying to pursue stars, it'll be taken on draft picks and prospects/bad contracts while we suck for a couple years.

I don't like this. The last "big brain" scheme MB came up with was the offer sheet for Aho and it failed miserably. This just seems like a slam dunk for Seattle. Local guy, can still carry a team if rested. Yeah his contract sucks but not so much that you can't live with it.

I hate it.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Where we're at, folks.

Screenshot_20210717-204123_Twitter.jpg
Screenshot_20210717-204146_Twitter.jpg

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
We paid a 3rd for Allen and he was an adequate back-up. Why are we risking a guy who was crucial in getting us to our first cup final in almost 30 years to protect that? Allen wasn't even that good when he took over for Carey as the starter. I would rather just let him go and sign a UFA or toss a 2nd for a guy like Georgiev.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I get why seattle wouldnt take him..

But... I get why they WOULD too... hes still an amazing goalie...

I mean..all this to protect "Jake Allen" ???????

This has been a INSANE CRAZY couple of days lol..holy shit, what's gonna happen

Price turns 34 yrs old next month.

5 more yearx at 10.5 million cap hit
final year he still is paid 7.5 million at near 40 years old.
You have to worry about his injuries every year!

Show me any other Nhl goalies making 10.5 million for next 5 years from age 34 to 39 plus.

Crazy? maybe not

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Thing is, I don't see MB having a deal in place with Seattle NOT to take Carey. If he had one, it would be the same deal that he would've had exposing Jake Allen. I don't see Seattle making a better deal not to take CP, than a deal not to take Jake Allen knowing well that this is a move for Montreal to protect Jake Allen.

It leaves us with a few options. The ones I see:

1) MB is risking CP to keep the tandem hoping the contract (maybe having hearsay) is too scary for Seattle.

2) There is a real possibility that CP leaves in the expansion draft, and MB or CP wants it to happen.

Option (1) is much more aligned with MB, but at the same time it is pretty risky for the type of character and love MB has shown for CP. I remember a journalist asking the question for Vegas a few years ago, and he just laughed at the idea of relying on his big contract to expose him.

I truly feel this franchise is better off without Price. As much as I appreciate this cup run and the role he played, it's clear he is the franchise crutch. They lean so heavily on him they are blind to other holes that need to be filled. I would hate to see Price leave, but I am excited to see how we can spend the 18+M saved between him and Weber.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
That makes me think that MB really thinks there is no possibility Seattle takes CP. I hope he is more certain of that, that he was when Carolina wasn't suppose to be able to match the Aho offer.

The Kraken have already signed Dreiger no?

Monsieur Miz

Nov 3, 2017
It's kinda funny how all the players that we said he should've traded will end up leaving for absolutely nothing.

Tatar, Danault (he leaves or we overpay him so we lose either way) and now Price? Great job.

HostileCapSpace

Jul 1, 2019
Montreal
Thought process is probably:

A. if they don't pick him, they carry on and fill the holes as best they can.
B. if they pick him, it's complete retool time, bigger focus on youth.

Quite a bluff. No doubt Molson was "consulted" on this one.

Mr Fox

Hungry since '93
Aug 21, 2013
I truly feel this franchise is better off without Price. As much as I appreciate this cup run and the role he played, it's clear he is the franchise crutch. They lean so heavily on him they are blind to other holes that need to be filled. I would hate to see Price leave, but I am excited to see how we can spend the 18+M saved between him and Weber.
I'm not sure how I feel about Carey leaving, but as much as it may seem like an attractive position, it still feels very odd coming from MB.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Pros to taking him:

He had an amazing playoffs
Star player for literally nothing off the bat.
If healthy/on his game, makes your team competitive immediately.
Local kid/played junior there.

Cons:

Huge contract, especially for a goalie.
Has had bad regular seasons.
The 11 mil signing bonus in September
The fact that his NMC kicks back in and you can't trade him without his permission once you claim him.

I don't know man. I don't like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad