HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021 (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't mind if Chiarot goes also, we are stacked with D prospects and we could sign Martinez in the offseason (I think he's a better fit anyways)

If we are able to replace Chiarot with Martinez, I'm down with that. However, if Chiarot gets taken by Seattle and Martinez signs somewhere else, what are the other options cause our young prospects are not ready. Wasting a year of Price is not smart.

Romanov ready? Might be our best option if Chiarot gets taken

Honestly, I think they are going to take Allen.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
You should be. Guys like that are playoff warriors and he is very effective at things beyond points. He won't be easy to replace.
You say that meanwhile just taking a quick look at the free agent list for defenseman and I see possibly even better fit. So yes, not worried at all

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
The wildcard here is that if Seattle takes a lot of defensemen, they will have to deal some. If Montreal can get a good fit out of a trade with Seattle to replace Chiarot, we may come out of the whole ED just down a pick (which would be traded for said player).

Everything is really hypothetic of course...

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
If we are able to replace Chiarot with Martinez, I'm down with that. However, if Chiarot gets taken by Seattle and Martinez signs somewhere else, what are the other options cause our young prospects are not ready. Wasting a year of Price is not smart.

Yeah I think it's a coin toss. Allen would hurt more than Chiarot imo.
If we lose Chiarot - and can't sign Martinez, plan B would be a trade.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah I think it's a coin toss. Allen would hurt more than Chiarot imo.
If we lose Chiarot - and can't sign Martinez, plan B would be a trade.

I feel a strong physical top 4D is required with Price. We need more offensive weapons yes but we can't go backwards with our team D with Price IMO. Loosing Allen hurts as well cause that's 20-25 games of very good goaltending.

I'm curious to see how this plays out. But some Habs fans needs to realize that our playoff series wins over the last 2 years (Pens, Leafs, Jets, Knights) are due to a strong top 4D with Price doing his thing. We can't go backwards with that strategy with some good years of Price left.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I'm not paying a first or a high end prospect to protect a back-up goalie.. which is what Seattle wants from -any- team who is trying to deter them from taking their first choice.

On that we're 100% agreed.

I was just commenting on why I'd like to keep Allen - no way i pay that high for it though.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
That's easier said than done
Not really. For the first time in a long while the Habs are relevant again. They made a Stanley Cup final, that's a huge statement for free agents.

Chiarot is a good team guy but he is replacable same with Jake Allen (altough a bit harder to find).

A Jake Evans is way harder to find (low cap hit, good bottom 6 center)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not really. For the first time in a long while the Habs are relevant again. They made a Stanley Cup final, that's a huge statement for free agents.

Chiarot is a good team guy but he is replacable same with Jake Allen (altough a bit harder to find).

A Jake Evans is way harder to find (low cap hit, good bottom 6 center)

I see Martinez as a decent replacement but not many others. I feel others will consider the Habs more but it's not going to be a flood gate that is fully open

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I see Martinez as a decent replacement but not many others. I feel others will consider the Habs more but it's not going to be a flood gate that is fully open

Hjalmarsson, Murray, Martinez, Montour or Oleksiak.

If you want someone with more offence Goligoski, Vatanen or Dunn.

If you want to spend a lot of money Hamilton.

If you miss out on everybody, there's Cole and Zadorov.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

My options if we loose Chiarot would be Martinez, Romanov. Mark my words, Chiarot is underrated when you look past points. He's actually been sheltering Weber and not many realize it.

Big strong boy that skates well and steps up in the playoffs. I think our herd is underrating the value he brings to us

Reactions: 417

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal

Hamilton is a RD I thought? Habs won't be signing him.

Some nice names on there.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006

There are plenty of goalies, I don't think they'll select him... but I don't really care, as long as MB doesn't trade anything to Seattle in order to protect a player. Do not lose multiple assets, just one and move on, none of them are game changers or franchise players.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There are plenty of goalies, I don't think they'll select him... but I don't really care, as long as MB doesn't trade anything to Seattle in order to protect a player. Do not lose multiple assets, just one and move on, none of them are game changers or franchise players.

You stock up on picks so you can have flexibility. Over the last 4 drafts, we have had a shit load of picks and I support that. But with good years of Price left, I would evaluate our ability to ensure we have a strong top 4D and a good team D in front of him. Results in the playoffs prove that our team is built from the back end out. If we didn't have Price, I'd lean towards more youth

I disagree that they won't look at Allen.

I also worry about loosing Chiarot cause I love his game in the playoffs and I feel he has sheltered Weber. Loosing Chiarot and not being able to sign Martinez means we have to promote Romanov. He may or may not be ready for that role but I prefer to groom him for at least one more season

Mike Towers

Aug 8, 2019

Yes,and wasting 4 years of Price and Weber was not smart either.

Mike Towers

Aug 8, 2019

Oleksiak replaces Chiarot easily he was a beast in the playoffs last year for Dallas well over a 100 hits and a plus 11 and way tougher than Chiarot.

Reactions: dcyhabs

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
My concern with Chiarot getting claimed is it will be very likely that Bergevin will prioritize signing or trading for a similar D to replace him.

If we lost Evans we have Poehling who could potentially replace him, if Lehkonen gets claimed we likely bring back Armia.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
You stock up on picks so you can have flexibility. Over the last 4 drafts, we have had a shit load of picks and I support that. But with good years of Price left, I would evaluate our ability to ensure we have a strong top 4D and a good team D in front of him. Results in the playoffs prove that our team is built from the back end out. If we didn't have Price, I'd lean towards more youth

I disagree that they won't look at Allen.

I also worry about loosing Chiarot cause I love his game in the playoffs and I feel he has sheltered Weber. Loosing Chiarot and not being able to sign Martinez means we have to promote Romanov. He may or may not be ready for that role but I prefer to groom him for at least one more season
They are all solid players, but last draft expansion, teams that got burned were the ones who gave assets in order to protect players, so don't do that. Last time around we thought losing Emelin would be hard for the team... I think they managed just fine without him (not re-signing Markov was the stupid move).

Mike Towers

Aug 8, 2019
True but we had a reset/retool and we are here today. What's your point? Because we wasted 4 years prior we should waste some more?
Point is obvious Bergevin was an idiot to waste all those prime years,with a better gm could have had many more runs at a cup.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They are all solid players, but last draft expansion, teams that got burned were the ones who gave assets in order to protect players, so don't do that. Last time around we thought losing Emelin would be hard for the team... I think they managed just fine without him (not re-signing Markov was the stupid move).

Prior to the last expansion draft, we didn't have playoff success and a rising youth core with vets. I understand your point but the circumstances are different for us.

I'm not appose to just letting them take one of Allen, Drouin, or Chiarot. However, I'm probably protecting Chiarot over Edmundson and most don't agree with that. IMO, Chiarot > Edmundson and I would be talking to Chiarot on what kind of deal he wants after next season (right now or very soon).

Ideally, they take Allen, and we flip Drouin with a pick for Tarasenko. Then we go sign someone to back-up Price.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I played around on Capfriendly for the expansion draft and I feel like many good defensemen could be available. It is possible they wouldn't go for Chiarot strictly because they have too many good defensemen.

Although it is also possible they will pick the best player available for each team and then just trade the overflow players for picks to a team that lost a player.

That would actually make a lot of sense...

Also Chiarot might be a great rental at the TDL, so more picks or prospects for Seattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad