HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021 (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
I played around on Capfriendly for the expansion draft and I feel like many good defensemen could be available. It is possible they wouldn't go for Chiarot strictly because they have too many good defensemen.

Although it is also possible they will pick the best player available for each team and then just trade the overflow players for picks to a team that lost a player.

That would actually make a lot of sense...

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
We are going to lose a player. Don’t lose more, don’t lose anyone key. If Evans is 20% worse than Danault and the habs try to use him in the same role they may not make the playoffs next year. The team is built for the playoffs and they will struggle to get there in a strong division. If Evans plays way better than he ever has, such that he replaces Danault he’s likely to be out with a concussion before Christmas. Concussions suck.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I played around on Capfriendly for the expansion draft and I feel like many good defensemen could be available. It is possible they wouldn't go for Chiarot strictly because they have too many good defensemen.

Although it is also possible they will pick the best player available for each team and then just trade the overflow players for picks to a team that lost a player.

There is more D available good player and good contract, Seattle will definitely load up on D, they will pick there 14Fw 13D and 3G, while aiming for the cap floor. That how they will get the most asset and value to work with and get team to work some side deal to protect player, pick up bigger contract. Even without side deal they likely flip 4-6 of these D pick.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Agree. Good Ds are hard to come by and, like Vegas did with Emelin and others, they will load up on Ds to flip them afterwards.

Reactions: Hins77

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
That's what they will do. A 20 minutes defenceman, who performed well in two consecutive playoffs, carries a lot of value.

benthepr0p

Mar 7, 2018
I am not bothered at all if Chiarot is claimed.
Me either. It would be the first step in forcing Bergevin to finally improve the defense. This team needs some work to make the playoffs. We won't have Covid changes gifting us a spot next season.

Reactions: zeeto

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Me either. It would be the first step in forcing Bergevin to finally improve the defense. This team needs some work to make the playoffs. We won't have Covid changes gifting us a spot next season.
Why does everyone think this way instead of improving on kulak? Like Weber, petry, chariot, eddy and romy are all good to great why not try and get chariots future replacement and sit kulak in the press box and free up more time for the older guys

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Why does everyone think this way instead of improving on kulak? Like Weber, petry, chariot, eddy and romy are all good to great why not try and get chariots future replacement and sit kulak in the press box and free up more time for the older guys
We need both: a reliable, veteran RHD to play with Romanov and a top-4 LHD (preferably top-2) that's good at transition to play with Weber.

Another option would be to move away from Weber entirely and replace him with Seth Jones, but he will not sign here and would still need a LHD partner.

Expecting Weber to carry a pairing with Chiarot is our best chance of missing the playoffs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

How many skilled/soft wingers that can help a PP are available? Drouin for example? I think there is a good chance we can add a 3rd for Seattle to take Drouin but not sure what Bergevin prefers. Most Habs fans think Drouin is done with the Habs but I'm not 100% sure on that.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
We aren't at risk of losing anyone important.. so you just stand pat. There's plenty of UFA goalies if we lose Allen. There's plenty of better defense options than Chiarot - who was atrocious for the entire season last year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We aren't at risk of losing anyone important.. so you just stand pat. There's plenty of UFA goalies if we lose Allen. There's plenty of better defense options than Chiarot - who was atrocious for the entire season last year.

Chiarot was the one who carried Weber so there is that too. I feel many are undervaluing Chiarot. If you feel he is easily replaceable? Who? The 34 year old Martinez? I would be OK with that swap. But who else? I don't think there are "plenty" better

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
How many skilled/soft wingers that can help a PP are available? Drouin for example? I think there is a good chance we can add a 3rd for Seattle to take Drouin but not sure what Bergevin prefers. Most Habs fans think Drouin is done with the Habs but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Tbh, not many. Skilled forwards is likely to be in short supply. I could see Seattle going for Drouin even though it's risky.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Tbh, not many. Skilled forwards is likely to be in short supply. I could see Seattle going for Drouin even though it's risky.

That was kind of my hunch. I can see this happening but they might try to get a pick from us. I'd offer a 3rd or 4th. They might try to get one of our 2nd's. I say no. A 3rd is a fair offer and might be too much.

What about goalies? I'm sure Allen is also attractive? They might say give us a 2nd to take Drouin or we take Allen. Then that would make me think hard. I probably let them take Allen in that case.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

My issue with Allen is i didn't expect him to be as good as he was. Plenty of UFA goalies that's true, but i like the idea of having someone play well enough to lessen the load on Price. With UFAs its a bit of a crapshoot.

Allen is more valuable to us than to Seattle imo.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
My issue with Allen is i didn't expect him to be as good as he was. Plenty of UFA goalies that's true, but i like the idea of having someone play well enough to lessen the load on Price. With UFAs its a bit of a crapshoot.

Allen is a fringe starter and I'm not sure why you didn't expect him to be good? He's on a value contract for two years and you better bet Seattle is looking at that option. Allen and another goalie (maybe Anderson) would be a great 1/2 punch. I also feel Anderson might fit well with the Blackhawks so I feel Seattle will be targeting Allen to have at least one good goalie at a good price who is controlled for two years.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Let's assume Drouin is fully healthy and ready to resume next year, in Montreal or elsewhere.

If thats the case there's no chance in hell Habs pay to get rid of him imo. If anything, they ask for value back if they do let him go. Still a valuable asset.

Now - if he's not 100% healthy/back to play, obviously thats different, but useless to speculate in that regards imo

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Let's assume Drouin is fully healthy and ready to resume next year, in Montreal or elsewhere.

If thats the case there's no chance in hell Habs pay to get rid of him imo. If anything, they ask for value back if they do let him go. Still a valuable asset.

Now - if he's not 100% healthy/back to play, obviously thats different, but useless to speculate in that regards imo

Fair! I feel Bergevin will feel the same about it. What people say about Drouin on social media is not what his players or management think about him. Problem is Drouin has soft skin and all this attention got to him.

Allen to Seattle
Drouin and 1st for Tarasenko?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Allen is a fringe starter and I'm not sure why you didn't expect him to be good? He's on a value contract for two years and you better bet Seattle is looking at that option. Allen and another goalie (maybe Anderson) would be a great 1/2 punch. I also feel Anderson might fit well with the Blackhawks so I feel Seattle will be targeting Allen to have at least one good goalie at a good price who is controlled for two years.

He had issues in St Louis so didn't really know what to expect to be honest, even though I know he can be good.

As for Seattle - well, if they take him they likely go with a 1-2 punch, a 1A/1B as you say. In my opinion, that's not what we have here. We have a very clear #1, and a capable #2 who can play a good amount of games. Less pressure for Allen like that, and more likely to thrive. If he goes back to being a starter, fighting for #1 spot - that's where he's had issues in the past. Maybe Seattle takes a chance, but it's not the exact same role

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

I'm not paying a first or a high end prospect to protect a back-up goalie.. which is what Seattle wants from -any- team who is trying to deter them from taking their first choice.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He had issues in St Louis so didn't really know what to expect to be honest, even though I know he can be good.

As for Seattle - well, if they take him they likely go with a 1-2 punch, a 1A/1B as you say. In my opinion, that's not what we have here. We have a very clear #1, and a capable #2 who can play a good amount of games. Less pressure for Allen like that, and more likely to thrive. If he goes back to being a starter, fighting for #1 spot - that's where he's had issues in the past. Maybe Seattle takes a chance, but it's not the exact same role

Comes down to who they have their eyes on after Allen in terms of the options they see. And yes, I think they will go for the 1A/1B strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad