Exit interviews thread

Who are the wussies Bob is referring to?

• Total voters

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
This isn’t like Jeanie Buss who owns the lakers and is extremely involved with the team. These are the Samuellis who sit back and let a GM skate free for years on end. And check on it quarterly.

Like I said if this was Toronto? Murray would have been quickly fired during Christmas, and rightfully so.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
His quote in regards to his opinion of our cup chances before the first game of the season is interesting.

(No bloody chance, if I'm remembering correctly).

Also alludes to regrets on the timing of carlyle's exit, IE, not fast enough.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
This isn’t like Jeanie Buss who owns the lakers and is extremely involved with the team. These are the Samuellis who sit back and let a GM skate free for years on end. And check on it quarterly.

Like I said if this was Toronto? Murray would have been quickly fired during Christmas, and rightfully so.
Toronto, another model organization. If there's one thing I think of when I think, consistent direction, it's Toronto.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
His quote in regards to his opinion of our cup chances before the first game of the season is interesting.

(No bloody chance, if I'm remembering correctly).

Also alludes to regrets on the timing of carlyle's exit, IE, not fast enough.

as in next season or before this season that just concluded?

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia

Among other things, like quotes from Fowler, Gibson, etc. some more comments from Bob not in his initial exit interview. There are some gems about what he’s looking for in a new coach... basically everything most of us said before re-hiring (and then keeping) Carlyle.

That quote makes me optimistic.

Reactions: Arthuros

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Getzlaf doesn't sound like he's reached that point yet but when he does, he'll call it quits - which is what you want to hear from a player as fan. Don't want players on the ice who no longer have the passion.

Getzlaf's role will diminish but he's still very important from the standpoint of offensive consistency. You never know how the kids will do next year - I think they're good but they will have ups and downs. Hell just look at Rakell's year. I think Getzy can easily grow into a role similar to that of Joe Thornton's - still productive but clearly has handed over the reigns to the younger guys.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
So after going down to the bench Bob figured out what most of us knew from watching streams. Randy was a terrible coach who forced his old school ways on players rather than try to get the best out of what each player had to offer. It's scary to wonder what else he may still be so clueless about.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
The article only mentions anti-inflamatories.

Edit...found the weaning part. Yeah, you don’t wean off of anti-inflamatory medication. Weaning is for taking nasty ****. That’s not good.

Steroids might need weaning, depending on the dose and how it’s taken. They serve an anti-inflammatory purpose, and maybe we aren’t talking about (just) injections here. Speculation on my part, but I’ve had some experience with it. If he’s taking any steroids orally for inflammation, he may need to come off of it more slowly.

Pain meds seem likely as well. Very likely. The situation just sounds brutal for Kesler, and with that kind of pain how could he not be taking something? That’s not fun. I’ve experienced that, due to chronic pain issues. It’s pretty damn unhealthy to be on pain meds long-term, so if you can manage without them, you definitely should. But, especially depending on what he was taking and how strong it was, it’s a shit experience. You can help by tapering slowly, but he may end up feeling pretty damn miserable for a fair bit of that month. The best way to describe it is like having some of the worst symptoms of a bad flu, that fluctuates as you taper. It’s not fun.

Last edited:

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Steroids might need weaning, depending on the dose and how it’s taken. They serve an anti-inflammatory process, and maybe we aren’t talking about (just) injections here. Speculation on my part, but I’ve had some experience with it.

Pain meds seem likely as well. Very likely. The situation just sounds brutal for Kesler, and with that kind of pain how could he not be taking something? That’s not fun. I’ve experienced that, due to chronic pain issues. It’s pretty damn unhealthy to be on pain meds long-term, so if you can manage without them, you definitely should. But, especially depending on what he was taking and how strong it was, it’s a **** experience. You can help by tapering slowly, but he may end up feeling pretty damn miserable for a fair bit of that month. The best way to describe it is like having some of the worst symptoms of a bad flu, that fluctuates as you taper. It’s not fun.

Yes, Prednisone is a corticosteroid that requires weaning down and can run a month or more. There are probably others as well.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Exactly. HE KNEW WHAT HE HAD BEFORE firing fricken Carlyle. The Samuellis sit back and let him do his thing. He has full control. Any general manager with a common sense would either trade to get better or tank to get better. If this was Toronto? Or any other Canadian organization. He would have been fired along with Carlyle.

Duck fans should be outraged with these recurring issues ever since Burke left. It’s reoccurring every flipping season. He dumps Montour which we would expect tank mode. Then ends up lighting a fuse on the team and they have an 8th overall pick.

Pick a destination where the team needs to go and stick to it please. It’s god damn frustrating just talking about it.

Wait. Are calling Montour for Guhle a dump? Because I distinctly recall you saying Guhle is awesome. You were fully on the Guhle train and now you're not? I dont think BM was ever on the tank train. Its pretty obvious by how he played and the things he said.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Exactly. HE KNEW WHAT HE HAD BEFORE firing fricken Carlyle. The Samuellis sit back and let him do his thing. He has full control. Any general manager with a common sense would either trade to get better or tank to get better. If this was Toronto? Or any other Canadian organization. He would have been fired along with Carlyle.

Duck fans should be outraged with these recurring issues ever since Burke left. It’s reoccurring every flipping season. He dumps Montour which we would expect tank mode. Then ends up lighting a fuse on the team and they have an 8th overall pick.

Pick a destination where the team needs to go and stick to it please. It’s god damn frustrating just talking about it.
Tanking worked wonders for Kings, Oil, and Sabres.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Listening again to the exit interviews, I really like Hampus more and more. Smart andand to guy. Should wear a letter imho.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Listening again to the exit interviews, I really like Hampus more and more. Smart andand to guy. Should wear a letter imho.

In theory, but in practice the guys who should wear letters need to actually be leaders.

You can do it in different ways(see: Niedermayer vs. Pronger), but you need to be a leader, in my opinion. I honestly don't know if Lindholm is that guy, because we don't really see what he does in the locker room, or how he talks to people on the ice or on the bench.

I'm honestly not sure who fits on this team right now, except for Getzlaf(assuming Kesler is done and we subtract him). He's the only guy who, I think, is obviously a leader on this team.

Edit: I should say I'm not keen on making players one of the captains because they are good players.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
In theory, but in practice the guys who should wear letters need to actually be leaders.

You can do it in different ways(see: Niedermayer vs. Pronger), but you need to be a leader, in my opinion. I honestly don't know if Lindholm is that guy, because we don't really see what he does in the locker room, or how he talks to people on the ice or on the bench.

I'm honestly not sure who fits on this team right now, except for Getzlaf(assuming Kesler is done and we subtract him). He's the only guy who, I think, is obviously a leader on this team.

Edit: I should say I'm not keen on making players one of the captains because they are good players.
Lindholm is really only guy that shows much imo. Not based on him being good more based on emotions and on ice/off ice habits. Manson is a decent option too

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
For a Swede Lindholm has got alot of Swagger. When coming back from an injury he plays with confidence just like Getzlaf & Manson, not that its a requirement to be a leader or anything but setting the tone right when coming back from an injury seems to inspire confidence. If a leader comes back & plays like they are scared of getting injured again it leaves a ship is sinking type vibe and that if their leader isn't all that confident than how are they to be inspired.
Its like a medieval general that leads his troops into battle with confidence, his soldiers see him be like that & they are more confident themselves, if they see their leader act scared they lose confidence.

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
It's amazing BM needed to stand behind the bench to figure out what sort of coach is needed for the team. Not sure whether to laugh or cry.
It's laughable, and I don't believe him. The getting behind the bench was just a stunt whose attempt was to minimise his fault with head coaching decisions and roster mistakes he made.

It's a preposterous notion that he had to get behind the bench to gauge anything. If the notion is true he's completely incompetent and unfit for a position he's serving. Either way, not a good look.

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
It's laughable, and I don't believe him. The getting behind the bench was just a stunt whose attempt was to minimise his fault with head coaching decisions and roster mistakes he made.

It's a preposterous notion that he had to get behind the bench to gauge anything. If the notion is true he's completely incompetent and unfit for a position he's serving. Either way, not a good look.
It feels like this was inevitable since his comment about how he just brings in players and expects the coach to figure it out. BB could do that since he actually had an idea how to coach. We saw how well it worked for RC. It's amazing the leash he has.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
It's amazing BM needed to stand behind the bench to figure out what sort of coach is needed for the team. Not sure whether to laugh or cry.
Well id say that's partially on Getzaf. They asked Getzlaf about the new coach and he mentioned to he and BM used to have conversations about what the team needed. Between that and the communication from the coaching staff I'm not sure if im willing to put stuff like that soley on BM. There are mechanisms in place to help with those decisions.

Reactions: Masch78

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
If the notion is true he's completely incompetent and unfit for a position he's serving. Either way, not a good look.

So a team with the success rate of the Ducks, in the standings, at the draft, over several years do that with an completely incompetent GM?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad