Exit interviews thread

Who are the wussies Bob is referring to?

• Total voters

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Can you read?

He has his people and it is what he said. Make a picture by himself if the reports are true. How many GMs are as close as the coaches?

And even if he had lost that he is far from being incompetent. Compare him to the other GMs in the league. And do you think the Samuel is surround themselves with that kind of guys for so long.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
So a team with the success rate of the Ducks, in the standings, at the draft, over several years do that with an completely incompetent GM?

I would actually agree with Flash here, that if it's true and BM needed to stand behind the bench to learn these things, then he shouldn't be the GM. It seems more like an attempt to deflect blame away from himself.

I'm also in agreement with him that it isn't a good look for him either way. Either 1) He's completely out of touch with the team, which a GM should not be or 2) He's creating excuses from his own mistakes.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I would actually agree with Flash here, that if it's true and BM needed to stand behind the bench to learn these things, then he shouldn't be the GM. It seems more like an attempt to deflect blame away from himself.

I'm also in agreement with him that it isn't a good look for him either way. Either 1) He's completely out of touch with the team, which a GM should not be or 2) He's creating excuses from his own mistakes.

I think any variations of these "if he did x then he needs to be fired immediately" takes are bad and have always been bad.

Reactions: Masch78

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I think any variations of these "if he did x then he needs to be fired immediately" takes are bad and have always been bad.

Well, I didn't say he needs to be fired immediately, but I sure don't think he should be the GM if he can't analyze a team without being behind the bench. I also don't think that's true. Like I said, I think he's trying to deflect blame.

I'll also say I've had some issues with Murray for a while now, and the further we go, the less happy I am with him as a GM.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Getzlaf doesn't sound like he's reached that point yet but when he does, he'll call it quits - which is what you want to hear from a player as fan. Don't want players on the ice who no longer have the passion.

Getzlaf's role will diminish but he's still very important from the standpoint of offensive consistency. You never know how the kids will do next year - I think they're good but they will have ups and downs. Hell just look at Rakell's year. I think Getzy can easily grow into a role similar to that of Joe Thornton's - still productive but clearly has handed over the reigns to the younger guys.

Hoping Getz plays to at least Joe Thornton’s age. I see him having a bounce back season next year.

Reactions: Mr Rogers

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
It's laughable, and I don't believe him. The getting behind the bench was just a stunt whose attempt was to minimise his fault with head coaching decisions and roster mistakes he made.

It's a preposterous notion that he had to get behind the bench to gauge anything. If the notion is true he's completely incompetent and unfit for a position he's serving. Either way, not a good look.
:thumbu:

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Well, I didn't say he needs to be fired immediately, but I sure don't think he should be the GM if he can't analyze a team without being behind the bench. I also don't think that's true. Like I said, I think he's trying to deflect blame.

I'll also say I've had some issues with Murray for a while now, and the further we go, the less happy I am with him as a GM.

I mean, you're kind of saying that, but no, that wasnt directed at you as much as the general notion which has been around here forever and has been around every other teams' board forever. The entire internet, really, it's kind of weird.

I do think theres a pretty substantial difference between getting a read on the group as a GM vs a coach and see the logic in why he went behind the bench. The fallout of that, not sure, Montour's been the only potential casualty so far and it'll never be certain if that happened because of this or not. I don't think it's at all about trying to deflect blame, I don't think he cares a whole lot about that tbh.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I mean, you're kind of saying that, but no, that wasnt directed at you as much as the general notion which has been around here forever and has been around every other teams' board forever. The entire internet, really, it's kind of weird.

I do think theres a pretty substantial difference between getting a read on the group as a GM vs a coach and see the logic in why he went behind the bench. The fallout of that, not sure, Montour's been the only potential casualty so far and it'll never be certain if that happened because of this or not. I don't think it's at all about trying to deflect blame, I don't think he cares a whole lot about that tbh.

Well, it's a pretty preposterous notion. The only way he can see what is going on is to coach? There is no other avenue? No other means to communicate with people, observe, and see what needs to be changed? That isn't true of any other GM.

I might as well say he should be fired immediately, and I'll say this because, if it's true, he isn't doing his job properly and clearly doesn't know how. I don't think that's the case. Even if I'm unhappy with the way he's done his job lately, he can clearly do his job, which further points to how outrageous that claim is.

Sure, it's different, but it isn't the only option. The resources at his disposal to find out what is going on during games, on the bench, and in the locker room are significant. If he needed to see it, it means he wasn't trusting the people he could have talked to, or he simply wasn't bothering to talk to them. That's also concerning to me. There is simply no reason he should have needed to be behind the bench to see what was wrong, and him suggesting that he needed to doesn't sit well with me. It definitely doesn't speak well of his ability to manage the team and the personnel on it.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Well, it's a pretty preposterous notion. The only way he can see what is going on is to coach? There is no other avenue? No other means to communicate with people, observe, and see what needs to be changed? That isn't true of any other GM.

I might as well say he should be fired immediately, and I'll say this because, if it's true, he isn't doing his job properly and clearly doesn't know how. I don't think that's the case. Even if I'm unhappy with the way he's done his job lately, he can clearly do his job, which further points to how outrageous that claim is.

Sure, it's different, but it isn't the only option. The resources at his disposal to find out what is going on during games, on the bench, and in the locker room are significant. If he needed to see it, it means he wasn't trusting the people he could have talked to, or he simply wasn't bothering to talk to them. That's also concerning to me. There is simply no reason he should have needed to be behind the bench to see what was wrong, and him suggesting that he needed to doesn't sit well with me. It definitely doesn't speak well of his ability to manage the team and the personnel on it.

I do think the "need" stuff is being embellished. Plan A was obviously for Carlyle to finish the season, and if not for a combination of timing and the ownership's unwillingness to pay another coach(mostly timing), he might not have done this at all.

I do think there are things to be gained with a firsthand perspective and I know that some things might not be communicated to him out of respect for the players(thinking about Montour if that's the case), but yeah I do think he's mostly just avoiding saying the whole team quit on Carlyle in a remarkable fashion, and I get that.

Reactions: Deuce22

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I mean, who is going to communicate whats going on with the team after he fired the head coach? He decided not to replace them, why pay another coach and deal with another potential issue where the coaches opinion of whats going on not meeting reality. Why rely on what other people are telling you when that lead to the situation in the first place? It's basic hierarchy. You make dicisions based on why your adviors tell you. It's really easy to armchair GM based on our limited knowledge but we have zero idea what his advisors were telling him what they thought was actully going wrong. Is it not possible that RC or the assistants or team leadership downplayed issues in an attempt to protect their players/teammates or training staff? Or vice versa? It's kind of like the premise od undercover boss. Sometimes when things go wrong you need to just see for yourself. Thus doesn't strike me as some "completey out of touch" situation. Or maybe he just realized that he relied too much on that support staff and needed change things. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Boo Boo

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Do they usually stagger releasing exit interviews up until the draft? It would be nice to see what more of the players have to say about the season.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Do they usually stagger releasing exit interviews up until the draft? It would be nice to see what more of the players have to say about the season.
I don't remember that being the case. If it's new, I imagine it's to reinforce to the fans that next year won't be like this one; which is probably true.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I think ownership told him that since he'd sold RC so hard when he rehired him, that BM would have to wear it. That meant taking accountability, which in his mind was going behind the bench.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
I don't remember that being the case. If it's new, I imagine it's to reinforce to the fans that next year won't be like this one; which is probably true.

do you think that they are going to release more? So far ive only seen the terry, getzlaf lindholm, and henrique as well as murray but it would be nice to hear from rakell, silf and gibson as well as the rest

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
do you think that they are going to release more? So far ive only seen the terry, getzlaf lindholm, and henrique as well as murray but it would be nice to hear from rakell, silf and gibson as well as the rest
Not every player is made available to the media, and of the ones that were, not all were filmed by the Ducks. Anything of substance has likely already been reported by the various beat writers.

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
I mean, who is going to communicate whats going on with the team after he fired the head coach? He decided not to replace them, why pay another coach and deal with another potential issue where the coaches opinion of whats going on not meeting reality. Why rely on what other people are telling you when that lead to the situation in the first place? It's basic hierarchy. You make dicisions based on why your adviors tell you. It's really easy to armchair GM based on our limited knowledge but we have zero idea what his advisors were telling him what they thought was actully going wrong. Is it not possible that RC or the assistants or team leadership downplayed issues in an attempt to protect their players/teammates or training staff? Or vice versa? It's kind of like the premise od undercover boss. Sometimes when things go wrong you need to just see for yourself. Thus doesn't strike me as some "completey out of touch" situation. Or maybe he just realized that he relied too much on that support staff and needed change things. Just my 2 cents.

This is pretty much what I was going to say. There's always the dynamic of talking to your boss that's going to alter what's being said whether players or coaches. Or they were completely honest and were wrong about what the problems were. Either way, first hand knowledge will be good.

Although, I do think it's that plus a combination of things most likely. Not paying another coach, for example.

Reactions: Masch78

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Well, I didn't say he needs to be fired immediately, but I sure don't think he should be the GM if he can't analyze a team without being behind the bench.

I agree on this but from my understanding of what he said it is not the obvious stuff. Sometimes minor things in the locker room happen that lead to that. Quite often it's just whining or complaining. Something you don't recognice that easily. Somethimes it is just the chatter or behaviour on the bench. In the end of the day, I don't know what happened.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
"Not paying for another coach" is a bs excuse for anything. Let an assistant be interim coach. They get no extra money.

That might not at all be true, it would make sense for assistants and other coaches in the organization(Eakins) to have an escalator built into their contract should their duties increase. And I dont think anyone is saying that's why it had to be Murray, but the combination of needing someone to do the job and the timing of it being with so little time towards the end of the season(and especially trade deadline) opened an opportunity for him to slide in, plus how the Gulls looked at the time. If that mega-slide happens in November like it did in 2011 I'm guessing Eakins just gets promoted on an interim basis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad