Post-Game Talk: EXB Game - 7/29/20 | islanders vs RANGERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Hajek is absolutely horrible. Like I have never seen him on the ice outside of that weird 5 games stretch and felt any sense of comfort.

Me reading this line from Carp's review last night:

1. Marc Staal left the game and did not return. Fortunately for the Rangers, they’ve had Libor Hajek playing with the varsity during camp, and not the taxi squad, and he was the “extra” defenseman allowed to dress for this exhibition. He was having a pretty solid season before that knee injury.

giphy.gif

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I'm with you that I want too see Kakko have a nice year 2 jump. I am not with you that it wouldn't matter if we get swept. No friggen way. I want to win this series now that we are in it.

Back to Kakko, a jump for Kakko for me that would be commensurate with his age and talent, if Kakko could get himself into that 20-25 goal 20-25 assists...40-50 point area next season, I'd be more than happy with. I think that's a realistic goal for him and anything more than that would be part of the bonus plan.

So long as he keeps improving, gets stronger, faster, keeps improving his stamina, Kakko within 3-4 years will be as I said previously in that 30-35 goal 75-80 point area. Heck maybe he'll be better than a point per game guy....we don't know. But at the very least, Kakko has shown over the covid break, he worked on his weaknesses and did what he needed too do to come back a new man. And tonight, he certainly looked like a new Kakko.
Ditto, on all of your words about Kakko. But just one added thought here, if he ever gets on the same page and gets to play maximum time on one of the top two lines with either Panarin or Zbad, then the sky is the limit. There's no telling how many points he and that line would get. Chemistry, magic, chemistry, magic.
And equally excited about my dark horse star for the Carolina series. With all the attention towards our stars.......watch how Chytil does his thing. I really believe this kid will shine as bright as the sun.

Reactions: McSauer

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Anyone who thinks Trouba had a bad game didn't watch the game or is incredibly biased. When you completely shut out the Barzal line from attempting anything while you're in the ice, you did good work.

I didn't like what I saw from the other pairs. Fox wasn't bad, but falling asleep in the NZ is a no no (this led to goal #1) and his overly aggressive pinch led to goal #2 - This one is forgivable though, aggressive errors late in a game that you're trailing>>> Passive errors because you aren't paying attention.

DeAngelo sucked, Staal and Hajek tried their best to out suck each other and they both failed.

I always love when people make comments like the bolded based off of a one game exhibition. Were you sitting next to him monitoring his oxygen levels?

Panarin easily had the weaker game of the 2 as he was turning pucks over every other second. They're both veterans, I'm pretty sure that they're saving their best for when the games count.
You don’t ever notice players looking gassed? Lol, like Kakko was this season. He looked physically tired and sluggish, especially later in shifts

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Anyone who thinks Trouba had a bad game didn't watch the game or is incredibly biased. When you completely shut out the Barzal line from attempting anything while you're in the ice, you did good work.

Trouba is too slow. He got beat out side multiple times, although I do recall him recovering and making a good stick play on one of them. I also recall him completely muffing a one timer in the O zone.

I’m sorry, I just don’t see it with him. He’s a serviceable defenseman but not a 1D, high paid, anchor the whole corps kind of guy. That contract is bad now and will age poorly.

Reactions: leetch99 and ohbaby

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Trouba is too slow. He got beat out side multiple times, although I do recall him recovering and making a good stick play on one of them. I also recall him completely muffing a one timer in the O zone.

I’m sorry, I just don’t see it with him. He’s a serviceable defenseman but not a 1D, high paid, anchor the whole corps kind of guy. That contract is bad now and will age poorly.

Happened once and as you said, he recovered.

The contract has nothing to do with how he played yesterday.He was terrific and any opinion outside of that is really one that is being formed with biased eyes, which is how one can jump to the conclusion that someone had a bad game because they muffed a shot - OV muffed several yesterday, guess he sucked too?

You don’t ever notice players looking gassed? Lol, like Kakko was this season. He looked physically tired and sluggish, especially later in shifts

It's something you can conclude after a bunch of games, sure.

Not a one off exhibition where the player probably wasn't going 100%.

Reactions: dapowl

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
CK repeatedly losing the puck along the boards and ending the cycle concerns me a little. That's his bread and butter.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I have no concerns. This is house money. I'm not going to lose my mind if the Rangers were to lose this series.

That’s how I feel. Enjoy the ride at least we have some more hockey to watch now. Would be cool if they can get into the 1st round of the playoffs but if not, then they have a shot at 1st OA, and next season will be only a few months away instead of like 6 months.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
although I do recall him recovering and making a good stick play on one of them
I remember that it was a desperation move and just got enough of the attacker's stick at the perfect moment that the shot was being released. He and TDA seem to get beat wide a bit too often. Staal has that long reach which helps and allows him to keep a wider gap.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Happened once and as you said, he recovered.

The contract has nothing to do with how he played yesterday.He was terrific and any opinion outside of that is really one that is being formed with biased eyes, which is how one can jump to the conclusion that someone had a bad game because they muffed a shot - OV muffed several yesterday, guess he sucked too?

It's something you can conclude after a bunch of games, sure.

Not a one off exhibition where the player probably wasn't going 100%.
Trouba is slow and not well suited to defending speedy wingers. He might be better in playoff type games. Call me biased, whatever, but the dude should not be the highest paid defenseman on a modern NHL team.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

I didn't like what I saw from the other pairs. Fox wasn't bad, but falling asleep in the NZ is a no no (this led to goal #1) and his overly aggressive pinch led to goal #2 - This one is forgivable though, aggressive errors late in a game that you're trailing>>> Passive errors because you aren't paying attention.

DeAngelo sucked, Staal and Hajek tried their best to out suck each other and they both failed.

I always love when people make comments like the bolded based off of a one game exhibition. Were you sitting next to him monitoring his oxygen levels?

Panarin easily had the weaker game of the 2 as he was turning pucks over every other second. They're both veterans, I'm pretty sure that they're saving their best for when the games count.
Hopefully Trouba can play like that consistently. If he doesn’t then he’ll be overpaid by like $4M.

I still believe his style is going to payoff huge in the playoffs.

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Trouba is slow and not well suited to defending speedy wingers. He might be better in playoff type games. Call me biased, whatever, but the dude should not be the highest paid defenseman on a modern NHL team.

This is fine. I’m not going to disagree with any of it.

But to call him a traffic cone after yesterday’s game is strange and ridiculous.

Reactions: CasusBelli

AlaBlueShirt

Mar 14, 2018
Just think about how much the roster has changed since the 16-17 playoffs.
Most excited about Chytil right now, just looking at his most recent interview you can tell he has gained some swagger and most importantly he deff believes in himself. He’s only 21, late 1st round pick who can be a difference maker in couple of years.

The future is bright and we can already see the light in the tunnel.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Agreed. Now they won't admit it but I have to believe a good number of players were holding a little something back. Just getting a good feel of competition. Nobody and I mean nobody wanted to get hurt in this game. Next game, they're going to let the pigeons loose!
Isles are always hard to play against. Although we did beat them in 3 out of 4 this year. It looked as though the Rangers were frustrated that they could not execute, and Quinn said as much. I chalk it up to being rusty and tiring late in the game. Also they need to come up the ice as a group of five, to support the puck and each other. There was too big a gap between the forwards and the D-men. Forcing them to make that long pass through the neutral zone. Their biggest improvement the 2nd half of the season, was playing as a unit of five supporting each other. I think they just tired, being the first game back. Their forecheck was non-existent and not effective. The Canes won't nearly be as tough to play against.

Zibad and Panarin hopefully dusted off the cobwebs and will be ready to play. Both looked like they really needed this game.

Don't see any mention of Jesper Fast. He was by far the number one star of this game. He generated our best chances to score. How he did not scored with 3 consecutive shots down low, I'll never know, but he did do all the work for Chytil's open netter.

Last edited:
Reactions: McSauer

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007

I kind of felt this way most of the year. I had hoped the new start and him getting married might have settled him down and have him more focused. I'll give him a pass on this game, but I do agree he gets beat too easily by speedy opponents. He can't even take the body to slow them down which is surprising.
But he did show some signs of being more involved. Let's see if he improves off this game.

Whoot Whoot

Biased Rangers Fan
Feb 28, 2007
Los Angeles
Watched casually:

Generally no concern. Hajek had a few bonehead giveaways on breakouts. Staal had a bad giveaway early but was decent from then on.
Thought Buch had some nice pace to his game.

Very happy with how both goalies played, especially Henrik - nothing soft and good puck control.

As always, we just SUCCKKKK on faceoffs ... i mean its been years of this wtf?

Reactions: SnowblindNYR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad