Post-Game Talk: EXB Game - 7/29/20 | islanders vs RANGERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It’s probably because he’s just not that good

Anyone expecting him to be anymore than a fine 4th liner is setting themselves up for disappointment

Lemieux is a guy whose always been right on the cusp.

There are moments you see what he could become, and then moments where his upside looks limited. Frankly, that goes all the way back to juniors. There were times you saw a guy who could project as a middle six option, and other times he looked like more of a fourth line shit disturber.

That carried into the AHL, and it's carried into the NHL.

I think he has a role to play in the NHL, it's a matter of how prominent that role is.

Reactions: Glen Sathers Cigar

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Not a terrible game. Didn't get many Grade-A looks but Islanders are a good defensive team. Thought Kakko looked better than at any point in the regular season

Totally agree and I said so in my analysis of him in the Kakko thread. This Kakko last night looked NOTHING like pre-covid Kakko. He was engaged, he was busting his ass for the puck and unlike pre-covid, Kakko was winning some of those battles which he never did before the break. He also was shooting the puck as if he thought he was Ovie...lol. Seriously, never have seen Kakko look for his shot and unload it like last night...it was glorious too see!

Bottom line, after having played 90+ games last year, it was clear what needed to occur. The covid break simply accelerated the process and gave Kakko time to work on his strength, stamina and speed and it looks like it's done wonders.

If this is the Kakko we are going to be seeing in vs the Canes and I have no reason to believe last night was a mirage, the Canes are in deeper trouble than they already were in. Oh and allow me to add Trouba never looked as good pre-covid as he did last night as it looked like the break did him a ton of good as well.

Trouba was dominant and if this is what we will be getting from him going forward we'd be pretty dangerous even too some of the elite playoff teams in the East as I wouldn't want too play us that's for damn sure! Can't wait for Saturday...chomping at the bit here!!

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Not a terrible game. Didn't get many Grade-A looks but Islanders are a good defensive team. Thought Kakko looked better than at any point in the regular season

NYR were too often rusty, sloppy and out-of-synch.
Hopefully they are much better saturday/monday, or this could end quick.

I actually love the throwback schedule of 3 games in 4 days,
but it leaves little margin not being your best.

Totally the opposite of events like the WC and WJC, or the situation for the 8 teams w Byes,
where teams have round-robin games to get it together, and then do some damage

Reactions: NYRangers16

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
NYR were too often rusty, sloppy and out-of-synch.
Hopefully they are much better saturday/monday, or this could end quick.

I feel like they didn't attack the net very well for the most part but the Isles were playing solid D. Rangers have to compete a bit harder for pucks and stuff though when the games count

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I avoided this thread from after the game up till now. They need to learn how to play against tight checking. Some of last night might have been rust and timing being off. A lot of it was not adjusting in game.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Definitely have a bit of rust to shake off, but I saw some things I liked. Some quick takes.

-Kakko looking like a different guy out there is really promising.

-Seeing Buch looking more engaged and throwing some hits made me pretty happy. KZB didn't look great at all times, but if Buch can consistently be physical and back check and all that while still contributing offensively, I'm excited.

-Smith deserves credit. He and Trouba did pretty well.

-Hoping the defense will look better overall on Saturday. Last night was rough on those goals. Also, seeing Staal drop to his knees instead of engaging with the shooter never gets old.

-Jesper Fast looking like one of your better offense players says a lot about the offensive last night, though he did have some nice opportunities.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Zib and Panarin will be better on the weekend, Kreider as always is up in the air game to game, if the rest play like they did the other night and our stars play better we will be fine.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Best players to my eye were Gauthier, Buch, and Fox.

Panarin played one of the worst games I’ve seen him play. Mika looked a little off.

Kakko was better than before, but he didn’t look like an evolved player to me like many here seem to be thinking. What’s weird is that, while we’ve been hearing about his “engagement” being up, what stuck out most to me was his shot. Looked stronger and dangerous. His general movement and involvement in the play wasn’t noticeably improved to me.

Fox is ridiculous. Deangelo looked rusty. Trouba is an overpaid traffic cone.

Our goaltending is insanely good.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Just my thoughts...

The Good

- Kakko looked great. Been saying for months on twitter and other social media and to friends that he’s the x-factor. If he can improve and start helping drive the offense on his line, that can give this team 3 lines that can contribute consistently, which you absolutely need in the playoffs.

- Chytil was the best Ranger last night. Impressive 2 way game. Made 4-5 great defensive plays and you can tell that he got bigger/stronger, which is leading to him having more confidence. He’s going to break out next season.

- Buchnevich played a very strong game last night, made a few good defensive plays and was a physical presence along the boards winning loose puck battles. If I’m DQ, I’m very happy with what I saw from him.

- Trouba was rock solid last night. Thought he had a great game, was physical as usual and even stopped Brock Nelson on a break-in after he got by Jake.

- Shesty was Shesty, not gonna fault him for the Beauvillier goal. Bad pinch there by Fox.

- Fast was in mid-season form. Was all over the place last night and surprisingly generated a lot of good offensive chances. One of the best players on the ice. Should have had that goal, but Varlamov was just on his game last night.

- Hajek played surprisingly well. If Staal is down, hopefully he can step in and continue where he left off last night.

The Bad and The Ugly

- Normally, I’d never say a bad word about Panarin and I know he was trying not to get hurt and will be his usual dominant self once Saturday comes, but he made some very lazy plays on the defensive end that were completely out of character for him, including letting Toews blow right by him on the back check for a goal and taking a lazy penalty that negated a power play chance. I’m not concerned, was a little annoyed by that, but again, I know come Saturday, he’ll be fine.

- Fox played his hands down worst game all season. I could count the number of mistakes he made on one hand throughout the year. He exceeded that total last night, 3 bad pinches, 2 of them leading to goals and made some bad clears that you normally don’t see from him. He was definitely off his game last night. I expect him to be better Saturday.

- DeAngelo had a bad game and kept making ill-advised passes that kept leading to turnovers. His passing was just off. Looked terrible on the power play. He didn’t have it. He wasn’t bad defensively though.

- I know it’s Kreider’s first game back from injury, but he just did not look engaged at all. I can forgive rust, but he looked like he was just going through the motions. I expect that to change on Saturday and see the Kreider that we saw down the stretch this season.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Smith is not getting enough credit for how good of soldier he’s been this season for any type of role he was given. 4th line winger, RD on PK and now 1LD...
I like Smith... and I dont think he's getting bought out or moved. He's also close with the coach.

He's a good vet presence in the locker room. He can play in nearly every situation and he's been solid.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I’m more concerned about Mika than Panarin, Mika looked really out of sync, gassed, and at times; uncoordinated. Panarin just looked like he was avoiding any contact whatsoever, which I know won’t be the case during the playoffs. Whenever he entered the zone or gained possession he would just peel back and pass every time, he never carried it himself or drove toward the net.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Best players to my eye were Gauthier, Buch, and Fox.

Panarin played one of the worst games I’ve seen him play. Mika looked a little off.

Kakko was better than before, but he didn’t look like an evolved player to me like many here seem to be thinking. What’s weird is that, while we’ve been hearing about his “engagement” being up, what stuck out most to me was his shot. Looked stronger and dangerous. His general movement and involvement in the play wasn’t noticeably improved to me.

Fox is ridiculous. Deangelo looked rusty. Trouba is an overpaid traffic cone.

Our goaltending is insanely good.
Just my thoughts...

The Good

- Kakko looked great. Been saying for months on twitter and other social media and to friends that he’s the x-factor. If he can improve and start helping drive the offense on his line, that can give this team 3 lines that can contribute consistently, which you absolutely need in the playoffs.

- Chytil was the best Ranger last night. Impressive 2 way game. Made 4-5 great defensive plays and you can tell that he got bigger/stronger, which is leading to him having more confidence. He’s going to break out next season.

- Buchnevich played a very strong game last night, made a few good defensive plays and was a physical presence along the boards winning loose puck battles. If I’m DQ, I’m very happy with what I saw from him.

- Trouba was rock solid last night. Thought he had a great game, was physical as usual and even stopped Brock Nelson on a break-in after he got by Jake.

- Shesty was Shesty, not gonna fault him for the Beauvillier goal. Bad pinch there by Fox.

- Fast was in mid-season form. Was all over the place last night and surprisingly generated a lot of good offensive chances. One of the best players on the ice. Should have had that goal, but Varlamov was just on his game last night.

- Hajek played surprisingly well. If Staal is down, hopefully he can step in and continue where he left off last night.

The Bad and The Ugly

- Normally, I’d never say a bad word about Panarin and I know he was trying not to get hurt and will be his usual dominant self once Saturday comes, but he made some very lazy plays on the defensive end that were completely out of character for him, including letting Toews blow right by him on the back check for a goal and taking a lazy penalty that negated a power play chance. I’m not concerned, was a little annoyed by that, but again, I know come Saturday, he’ll be fine.

- Fox played his hands down worst game all season. I could count the number of mistakes he made on one hand throughout the year. He exceeded that total last night, 3 bad pinches, 2 of them leading to goals and made some bad clears that you normally don’t see from him. He was definitely off his game last night. I expect him to be better Saturday.

- DeAngelo had a bad game and kept making ill-advised passes that kept leading to turnovers. His passing was just off. Looked terrible on the power play. He didn’t have it. He wasn’t bad defensively though.

- I know it’s Kreider’s first game back from injury, but he just did not look engaged at all. I can forgive rust, but he looked like he was just going through the motions. I expect that to change on Saturday and see the Kreider that we saw down the stretch this season.
Safe to say you two were watching different games.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I agree. And they did play some solid D most of the game. But they will need to step up their battle level if we are to play more than 3 or 4 games.
Agreed. Now they won't admit it but I have to believe a good number of players were holding a little something back. Just getting a good feel of competition. Nobody and I mean nobody wanted to get hurt in this game. Next game, they're going to let the pigeons loose!

Reactions: leetch99 and ohbaby

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Anyone who thinks Trouba had a bad game didn't watch the game or is incredibly biased. When you completely shut out the Barzal line from attempting anything while you're in the ice, you did good work.

I didn't like what I saw from the other pairs. Fox wasn't bad, but falling asleep in the NZ is a no no (this led to goal #1) and his overly aggressive pinch led to goal #2 - This one is forgivable though, aggressive errors late in a game that you're trailing>>> Passive errors because you aren't paying attention.

DeAngelo sucked, Staal and Hajek tried their best to out suck each other and they both failed.

I’m more concerned about Mika than Panarin, Mika looked really out of sync, gassed, and at times; uncoordinated. Panarin just looked like he was avoiding any contact whatsoever, which I know won’t be the case during the playoffs. Whenever he entered the zone or gained possession he would just peel back and pass every time, he never carried it himself or drove toward the net.

I always love when people make comments like the bolded based off of a one game exhibition. Were you sitting next to him monitoring his oxygen levels?

Panarin easily had the weaker game of the 2 as he was turning pucks over every other second. They're both veterans, I'm pretty sure that they're saving their best for when the games count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad