Post-Game Talk: EXB Game - 7/29/20 | islanders vs RANGERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Dunno who this player is wearing a Kakko jersey but he sure isn't the same one we saw before the shutdown.
benefits of heading back to finland for 3 months and getting to workout and be on the ice all the time unlike those who stayed in the usa...

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
The good....
Buch, Kakko, Fox,Trouba, Shesterkin, Lundqvist

The bad
Zib, Panarin, Kreider, DeAngelo, PDG, Lemieux

The meh
Gauthier, Howden, Lindgren, Fast, Chytil, Mckegg.

Outside of the top players not showing up, its pretty much par for the course, I dont expect them to be absent Saturday so a positive is that a few of the others showed more in this game so once the big guys get going we should be fine.

The one guy I am starting to get a bit frustrated with is Lemieux, i mean he is suspended for 2 games, he really needed to have a better night because if we are playing well when he comes back he won't be in the lineup. He was flopping around, I'm not sure if he can't stand up or is constantly trying to draw penalties but he needs to figure it out, one time there was nobody within 5 feet if him when he went down. When we acquired him I thought we really got something special for a build in regards to a physical bottom 6 guy with some skill, a Prust type, but if management is seeing what I'm seeing he wont be here much longer and it's really not helping that he now has the eyes of the refs on him, the penalty he got for diving wouldn't have been one on anyone else on the team. He needs to stop the circus show and play a "Prust" type game.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
The good....

The bad

The meh

Outside of the top players not showing up, its pretty much par for the course, I dont expect them to be absent Saturday so a positive is that a few of the others showed more in this game so once the big guys get going we should be fine.

The one guy I am starting to get a bit frustrated with is Lemieux, i mean he is suspended for 2 games, he really needed to have a better night because if we are playing well when he comes back he won't be in the lineup. He was flopping around, I'm not sure if he can't stand up or is constantly trying to draw penalties but he needs to figure it out, one time there was nobody within 5 feet if him when he went down. When we acquired him I thought we really got something special for a build in regards to a physical bottom 6 guy with some skill, a Prust type, but if management is seeing what I'm seeing he wont be here much longer and it's really not helping that he now has the eyes of the refs on him, the penalty he got for diving wouldn't have been one on anyone else on the team. He needs to stop the circus show and play a "Prust" type game.
Chytil & Gauthier were meh?
And disagree on Lemieux, he brought energy and did what he’s supposed to.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
offense looked out of sync but the D was decent. You assume the talent on the top two lines will come through when it counts and this isn't an indicator of issues they'll have in Carolina but you never know
Kakko looked good, much more engaged and hunting down pucks and puck carriers

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Chytil & Gauthier were meh?
And disagree on Lemieux, he brought energy and did what he’s supposed to.

Meaning they weren't difference makers, they just weren't in my good category and they werent in my bad category.
Lemieux unnecessarily fell on his face 3 times and took a diving penalty in a game he needed to be good. He needs to just watch some Prust tape and cut out the circus act it's not working and the refs are on him.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Did anyone else notice this team stopped playing a compact game and collapsed at the blue line the moment Lundqvist entered the game? You just rarely see a goalie change just for the sake of it. Normally a goalie switch is when you are down 3-4 goals but this was different. And it was like the defense just flipped a switch.

Lundqvist was great. As if he didn't miss a beat. Good to see, but the sudden change in intensity from our defense (that's the way it seemed to me at least) is really something that bothers me.

Wasn't watching that closely but it was directly after a goal against (where Fox got caught up in the neutral zone and produced an odd man break) and the Isles switched to a far more defensive structure after that which may have impacted what the Rangers were doing

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I really wasn’t unhappy with much that I saw. Offense was out of sync timing wise a bit, which is to be expected. Team defense looked improved. Some of the young guys I hoped might show some progress gave us hope that they will. Honestly, Kreider and Zbad were the only two who I was “disappointed” with. Mika’s my favorite Ranger so, I’m certainly not looking for things to criticize, and I’m not concerned since it was a nothing game, but if any two players were MIA it was those two.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Isles play a very tight D system and they know it very well by now. I think it’s easier to jump back into that type of play than it is to get back in the groove with a creative offense based game. Not shocked they generally had a better showing.

Thought Kakko looked a lot better. Panarin was peeling off nonstop which was a bit weird, but not worried about one game given his resume. Tony was just bad, hopefully he turns it around quick.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
They will beat the Panthers and then get rinsed by whoever they play in round 2.

They match up really well against Florida, they can contain Barkov and Huberdeau, not them down completely, but keep them in check, and they dont have much beyond them and Dadonov.

And Bobrovsky is the worst goalie in the entire playoffs. Reimer will be in net by Game 3.
Reimer is on Carolina.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The good....

The bad

The meh

I agree on Lemieux. Last year Fast was my biggest disappointment, this year it’s Lemieux.

It’s like you are saying, physically he has taken a step back instead of forward.

Reactions: Kords

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Thought everyone had some good moments and not so good moments. Still would like to see Gauthier get a shot with Strome and Panarin at some point. Hopefully that comes once Quinn is happy with his defensive progress. I don't think the Rangers picked him up to be a 4th line player.

Buch seemed faster and stronger but it could just be the fact that I haven't seen hockey in months.

Thought the team in general was over-passing. I'm sure Quinn gave them an earful for it.

Hank and Igor both looked solid which is great news.

Kakko is noticeably quicker and more decisive. Hope to see him build on that because you can see glimpses of just how good he can be.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I agree on Lemieux. Last year Fast was my biggest disappointment, this year it’s Lemieux.

It’s like you are saying, physically he has taken a step back instead of forward.
It’s probably because he’s just not that good

Anyone expecting him to be anymore than a fine 4th liner is setting themselves up for disappointment

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Thought everyone had some good moments and not so good moments. Still would like to see Gauthier get a shot with Strome and Panarin at some point. Hopefully that comes once Quinn is happy with his defensive progress. I don't think the Rangers picked him up to be a 4th line player.

Buch seemed faster and stronger but it could just be the fact that I haven't seen hockey in months.

Thought the team in general was over-passing. I'm sure Quinn gave them an earful for it.

Hank and Igor both looked solid which is great news.

Kakko is noticeably quicker and more decisive. Hope to see him build on that because you can see glimpses of just how good he can be.

Agree with all of this. I definitely would like to see Gauthier get a look and I thought Buch, maybe wasn’t faster but had more jump and more confidence. He just seemed... I don’t know, more like a vet, and with a chip on his shoulder to boot. Loved seeing it. Kakko was promising. Hank was really solid.

Reactions: McSauer and Trxjw

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Tidbits:

Kakko led the team with 6 shot attempts, and was 2nd in 5v5 ice time among forwards only to Panarin.

Trouba was on the ice for a monstrous 14 shot attempts for and only 3 against.

Brendan Smith led the team with 86.36 CF%.

Hajek got killed as per usual.

Di Giuseppe-Chytil-Kakko led all lines in shot attempts for with 5.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Hajek is absolutely horrible. Like I have never seen him on the ice outside of that weird 5 games stretch and felt any sense of comfort.

Reactions: aufheben

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
Tidbits:

Kakko led the team with 6 shot attempts, and was 2nd in 5v5 ice time among forwards only to Panarin.

Trouba was on the ice for a monstrous 14 shot attempts for and only 3 against.

Brendan Smith led the team with 86.36 CF%.

Hajek got killed as per usual.

Di Giuseppe-Chytil-Kakko led all lines in shot attempts for with 5.

Woah that's crazy

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Hajek is absolutely horrible. Like I have never seen him on the ice outside of that weird 5 games stretch and felt any sense of comfort.
Man, him and Howden had some promise too. I still have some hope that Howden can become a solid 4th liner or even 3rd liner some day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad