Ex-teammate Rob Schremp calls out Tavares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
He basically put the Islanders between a rock and a hard place. if they traded him then their chances of resigning him become 0, if they don't trade him then what happened is the worst case scenario. Now I don't know what went on behind the scenes but for the most part it seems like Tavares had good intentions to resign he just wanted to see what was out there(one would assume dollar value) and if that was the case it would have been a mistake trading him(because resigning him would hold way more value than a bunch of picks and prospects)

As I said I blame Tavares for putting us in the worst possible situation when he could have left on a high note and have people be happy for him

The Islanders put themselves in between a rock and hard place. If they didn't have assurance he was 100% re signing with them, you trade them, or be prepared to lose them for nothing.

Reactions: Mork

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
'Maybe' is not more compelling than what has factually happened. Maybe the Isles would not be better this year with Tavares as Captain, as they are with Anders Lee. You missed the meaning of what Schemp was quoted on. Pajamas probably would be on his individualistic 78-80 pt pace playing on the #1 GA team in the NHL, but perhaps the Isles would NOT be the team they are now. As they were during his 9 seasons there. Regardless, the Isles are proving he did have pretty good teammates on the Island. At least now they are getting the respect they deserve. Lee, Bailey, Barzal ect...and it was never all just Tavares on the Island. 35-17-6 speaks louder than maybe.

Yes, maybe Tavares was the reason for poor goaltending, and maybe the coach would not know how to coach if Tavares was there. Maybe......

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Let's face it, this guy was about as useful as earmuffs in August when he played for the Isles, but this work- THIS work is elite.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The Islanders put themselves in between a rock and hard place. If they didn't have assurance he was 100% re signing with them, you trade them, or be prepared to lose them for nothing.

Once again any decent feeling we had the chance to resign him would make it difficult to trade him. As I said I would have had more respect for tavares if he didn't play macho head games with the team and ripped it off like a band aid months before the situation

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Yes, maybe Tavares was the reason for poor goaltending, and maybe the coach would not know how to coach if Tavares was there. Maybe......
Don't bother talking to the winter solider man. It's worse than talking to a wall. At least a wall stays quiet and you don't have listen to pure trash.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Tavares himself has said he didn't know what he was doing up until the July 1st deadline. He didn't string along anyone.
I think he did... and I think there are a lot of people out there who agree.

You don't and that's fine.

Even if he didn't know what he was going to do, he put the team in a terrible spot. And I don't think you can blame people for being upset with him about this.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It’s foolish to assume people with hurt feelings know more than the actual player. Why interview with teams if it was a done deal?
Sorry I don't buy it. Tavares screwed over the Isles bigly. You can say he's free to do what he wants and that's all well and good... but he screwed them over. He did it in the worst possible way too because they got absolutely nothing for him in return.

Anyways... that has nothing to do with him as a player or leader in the room. He's outstanding and probably a top ten player in the league right now.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
lol Rob Shremp, the OHL superstar who couldn't even make it as a depth player in the big show.

Anyway Shremp only played two half seasons with Tavares (he wasn't good enough to be a regular0 and that was JTs rookie + soph seasons. Quite a strong opinion to form in a brief period of time a decade ago.

Also, whose points and trophies are Tavares supposed to collect if not his own? Was he supposed to show up and get Barzal's Calder or something?

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Wanna bet if Schremp was a relevant NHL player he doesn't bother with this? Reeks of jealousy. JT gave the Islanders 9 seasons to get their shit together.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017

Even if he didn't know what he was going to do, he put the team in a terrible spot. And I don't think you can blame people for being upset with him about this.

He didn't put the team in a horrible spot alone. Are the Islanders completely absolved in any of this? It happens every year with UFA's, not sure why this is such a special circumstance.

BossyMVP

Die SABRES die
Jun 27, 2011
Long Island
Think about it this way. If Isles trade JT, they could have gotten possibly Ottawa's 1st instead of colorado getting it for Duchene. That 1st probably will be Hughes who could have replaced JT as center in a couple years. INstead we have nothing for JT. Is it Management's fault? HELL YES! As soon as he said I'm waiting for FA, he should have been traded.

But, JT all year said he absolutely wanted to come back to the island and he knew nothing else and wanted to die an Islander. Throw in the fact that he mailed it in last year with 4 months left in the season, yeah, I would say Isles fans have a right to hate JT forever. If I loved my girlfriend who promised she would never cheat and after 10 years, she cheats, Probably gonna hate her.

Reactions: bigtim1988

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Think about it this way. If Isles trade JT, they could have gotten possibly Ottawa's 1st instead of colorado getting it for Duchene. That 1st probably will be Hughes who could have replaced JT as center in a couple years. INstead we have nothing for JT. Is it Management's fault? HELL YES! As soon as he said I'm waiting for FA, he should have been traded.

If Islanders did trade Tavares it would have been as a playoff rental which means a late first most likely(although I would have pushed for 2 first rounders(instead of getting a first plus a marginal player back and/or an ok prospect))

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC

It really felt like a captain leaving his sinking ship, didn't it? To be fair, the team would have been in a terrible spot regardless. Just look at Columbus. Being upfront with the organization has its shortcoming: putting a damper on the entire season, upsetting the fans, and possibly dividing the locker-room.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Here's the thing about John Tavares. I don't think we're going to see another player do what he did for a very, very, very, very long time.

"What he did" being going over the top with the praise and the promises and the "I wanna be here" sunshine, then leave at the first opportunity. They'll shut their yams, communicate through their agents, and not pander to or placate their fanbase.

Columbus knows Panarin is a goner. Yet when they played my Isles in Columbus a few games ago I certainly didn't hear any boos whenever he touched the puck. He'll play for some other team and the resentment towards him will be but a minor blaze. And if Jarmo can swing an amazing return that sets Columbus up nicely in the long-term, that blaze might extinguish entirely.

Everyone will act like Panarin, Bob, Karlsson, Stone, and Duchene have this season.

Palio

Dec 9, 2015
Tavares isn't just any other player. He was the face of the franchise. I think he owed the club a clear answer. You disagree, that's fine. But for people to say that there's 'no reason' to be upset with JT here is disengenious at best.

Sorry I don't buy it. Tavares screwed over the Isles bigly. You can say he's free to do what he wants and that's all well and good... but he screwed them over. He did it in the worst possible way too because they got absolutely nothing for him in return.

Anyways... that has nothing to do with him as a player or leader in the room. He's outstanding and probably a top ten player in the league right now.

Tavares himself said he didn’t make the decision until the day before he signed the contract. I’m not sure how he can give them answer he didn’t have. He didn’t know. They knew the risk they were taking when a contract wasn’t signed heading into the trade deadline.n

And I don’t buy that he screwed over the isles. He gave them 10 years of franchise #1 center, some years even MVP level play. It was was the Isles that failed to surround him with the necessary management/talent. He played until he earned the right to be a free agent and sign where he chooses. He didn’t sit out any games. Why should he uproot his life to go to another city for a couple of months. Or worse yet, even if he knew that he was going to the Leafs like some of you think, why should he make the Leafs give up assets to acquire him when those same assets can help build a cup contender around him.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
Sir, you have provided no argument. My point has been proven.

Your argument is being based on (1) your own personal opinion about Tavares' body language which apparently gives you insight into his character and (2) the Islanders' current record. I'm honestly not sure why you think your post warrants a thoughtful response, but I'll try to give it a little bit of effort anyway...

(1) I disagree with your opinon regarding Tavares' on-ice body language. I think his on-ice body language is super awesome and clearly points to him having exceptional character.
(2) Correlation =/= Causation... But if it did it might be worth pointing out the most successful stretch of seasons the Islanders have had in the past quarter century have come with Tavares being the face of the franchise.

Last edited:

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Once again any decent feeling we had the chance to resign him would make it difficult to trade him. As I said I would have had more respect for tavares if he didn't play macho head games with the team and ripped it off like a band aid months before the situation

Not the first player to do this, and not the last.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
'Maybe' is not more compelling than what has factually happened. Maybe the Isles would not be better this year with Tavares as Captain, as they are with Anders Lee. You missed the meaning of what Schemp was quoted on. Pajamas probably would be on his individualistic 78-80 pt pace playing on the #1 GA team in the NHL, but perhaps the Isles would NOT be the team they are now. As they were during his 9 seasons there. Regardless, the Isles are proving he did have pretty good teammates on the Island. At least now they are getting the respect they deserve. Lee, Bailey, Barzal ect...and it was never all just Tavares on the Island. 35-17-6 speaks louder than maybe.
Trotz is the main difference on the Island...period. Gonna be a glut of vinegar from all those sour grapes fermenting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad