Ex-teammate Rob Schremp calls out Tavares

Status
Not open for further replies.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
As per @MattMartin

You are wrong again.

This season without JT after 58 games, currently in 1st place in the Metro and 4th overall in the NHL.

GPWLOTLPTSROW
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Last year with JT, 7th in the Metro and 21st overall in the NHL.

GPWLOTLPTSROW
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Another stat that might surprise you.

In 13/14 Tavares was injured during the Olympics and here was the Islanders record with him and without him...

With him
22-30-8

Without him
10-7-3

I’m not wrong.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
But Yzerman did change a lot of his game when Bowman got him under his wing, though. He was a skilled perimenter player and he learned to get his nose dirty and play with an edge. Same thing happened with Joe Sakic in Quebec whereas he was a skilled guy who collected his 100 points a season but he lacked drive and when the Nords traded for Wendel Clark, Joe saw what someone with a killer instinct was, what it took to win. And he never was the same player after that, his will to win was greater, he was living everything on the ice each of his presence and I saw this up close and that made him the great player he was with the Avs. A lot people say the Nords lost that trade and most of the elements are there supporting this argument, Sundin is a futur HOF and so forth but people have no idea how great this was for Sakic and probably helped the Avs won all these cups.
A lot of hay gets made out of the "he changed his game because of Bowman" but Yzerman had a messed up knee in the late 90s. And he still had his critics even back then. Sure he changed his game somewhat but the reason he wasn't putting up points the way he did was because he wasn't the same player.

Anyways, the idea that he wasn't a leader was malarky... and as soon as he won, suddenly the story flipped.

Reactions: BHD

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
This thread is both hilarious and terrifying lol. Some of you need to move on; talking about expert witnesses and such. It’s just hockey, it’s not the love of your life cheating on you or something.

Isles organization hired "cheaters" tv show and had them follow Tavares around

:biglaugh:

Reactions: DirkStraun

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Dude, this is crazy.

With J.T. we would have been even better. I find it hard to believe otherwise.

Why is it crazy? If you don't think that Martin, Filppula, and Komarov haven't vastly improved several aspects to our game I don't know what to tell you. I do believe our PP would have been better but tell me in what other way would we be better? Leadership? Team defense? PK? Cizikas? These are all contributing factors of 1 Tavares VS those 3 players.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
I just saw the ad with Tavares watching the Leafs playoffs in 1993 as part of the Roger sponsorship of the NHL.

Shameless pandering if I ever saw it. I had to have a shower after.

As with all Rogers and Sportsnet (same thing) NHL commercials it really is terrible. The thing that bugs me most (other than the painfully forced sentimentality of it) is the fact in the spring of '93 Tavares would have been like 2 or 3 years old. The only things that kid would have been watching is stuff like Mr. Dressup and Polka Dot Door.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I’m not wrong.

You are in denial. The stats say otherwise. You are Dead wrong.

This season without JT after 58 games, currently in 1st place in the Metro and 4th overall in the NHL.

GPWLOTLPTSROW
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

GPWLOTLPTSROW
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

In 13/14 Tavares was injured during the Olympics and here was the Islanders record with him and without him...

With him
22-30-8

Without him
10-7-3

Vaporwave

Jan 19, 2019
Like most teams we have some good posters, some bad ones and everything in between. The only difference is there’s a lot more of us.
and which one are you?

leaffaninvancouver said:
"Again, we really don’t care about the Islanders. No one does.

You could be first place or last place and it really wouldn’t matter. The only reason you’re even a blip on the hockey radar this year is parts of your fan base had a giant hissy fit about Tavares and proceeds to constantly attack him and the Leafs.

You’re not a rival, you’re not a team we love or hate. You’re an after thought."

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
You are in denial. The stats say otherwise. You are Dead wrong.

GPWLOTLPTSROW
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

GPWLOTLPTSROW
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

With him
22-30-8

Without him
10-7-3

Do we need to add sample sizes to the things you don’t seem to grasp?

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
and which one are you?

leaffaninvancouver said:
"Again, we really don’t care about the Islanders. No one does.

You could be first place or last place and it really wouldn’t matter. The only reason you’re even a blip on the hockey radar this year is parts of your fan base had a giant hissy fit about Tavares and proceeds to constantly attack him and the Leafs.

You’re not a rival, you’re not a team we love or hate. You’re an after thought."

I was responding to people who seem to be under the impression that Leaf fans are upset the Islanders are doing well.

I’d put myself somewhere in the middle, like most of us.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Dude, this is crazy.

With J.T. we would have been even better. I find it hard to believe otherwise.

This is a big maybe. There are times some players just don't give off positive vibes. Players that other players rely on, but they are not able to deliver. I say this with 100% conviction, the Isles would not be 35-17-6 had Pajamas not left. The Isles may have needed to turn the page on the Tavares, Weight, and Snow era to create a new fresher culture of Team > individual

Would the Islanders look better on paper with Tavares? Yes, they looked better on paper last year. But with Fippula, Komarov, Matt Martin, Lehner, and Lee taking the captaincy. It's hard to pin point just to the effect how they would have been used had Tavares stayed. One thing we do not have to speculate on is this. Isles are 35-17-6 without Tavares. The team did not fold when he left as many thought they would be a disaster. The foundation is stronger than when he was there. And all the credit go to Trotz, Lou, and the players that wanted to remain.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Truer words have never been spoken Robbie. That's why when he was a UFA the Islanders didn't even bother to try to resig....oh wait.

The record has absolutely nothing to do with an actual coach, and amazing goaltending. They gained about 15-20 wins over a season just by dropping that bum Tavares.

islesnyc

Jul 5, 2012
Apparently this world and the stats prove it.

GPWLOTLPTSROW
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

GPWLOTLPTSROW
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

With him
22-30-8

Without him
10-7-3

But, but, but, that must have been the year the Isles changed their GM, coach, goalie and added 2 TML fourth liners over the Olympic break. That is the difference!

Reactions: MattMartin

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
A lot of hay gets made out of the "he changed his game because of Bowman" but Yzerman had a messed up knee in the late 90s. And he still had his critics even back then. Sure he changed his game somewhat but the reason he wasn't putting up points the way he did was because he wasn't the same player.

Anyways, the idea that he wasn't a leader was malarky... and as soon as he won, suddenly the story flipped.

I'm not talking about his points production, this was never the issue, I remember how everyone was saying he was a one dimensional guy. But something changed, he was definitely more driven under Bowman. This happens to a lot of players who realise what it takes to win. Bryan Leetch improved under Keenan, he was another one dimensional skilled guy but he helped him become someone more well rounded and complete. Some players will never get that and others realise it and take steps to get there.

But I'm not saying that Tavares in one type or another. From afar he seem to be a hard working guy who does what it takes.

Rogue

Jun 21, 2017
Quite pathetic.
He should have learned from Tavares that "gud pros" don't hate their friends and teammates.
That's a bad pro in my book!
Whatever if that is the delight that floats his boat.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
But, but, but, that must have been the year the Isles changed their GM, coach, goalie and added 2 TML fourth liners over the Olympic break. That is the difference!

Who did they play those 20 games? Was anyone on a hot streak? We’re they getting elite goaltending, we’re they playing teams that were rested, were theyplaying backups, did those teams have injuries, were they in a slump?

There are way too many things to account for to assume a 20 game sample means the Islanders are better when Tavares was hurt.

I really hope you’re all just being snarky because that is a terrible way to look at data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad