Ex-teammate Rob Schremp calls out Tavares

Status
Not open for further replies.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I'm sure the Islanders would love to have Tavares back. Let's be real here. Imagine if JT was still with them and Trotz was coaching...

I do think it was crappy of Tavares not to be upfront with them, but that's a whole other story I guess.

Not sure who I am defending with this one but I do think Tavares being a "leader" is overstated by many in the media but at the same time it's not like Tavares is some sort of locker room cancer or anything

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Oh really?
Case in point:

Person A calls out another person B for something something.

Person B's fans starts to throw shade on Person A and call that person names etc, totally backing up Person B just b/c, even if they dont know anything about that person what so ever.

I think the fans are acting quite the same. The fact that youre trying to discredit me by saying stuff like above is pretty ****ed up tbh.
Oh jesus....Tavares got called out for....putting up points when he was a rookie and sophomore in the NHL? Ronaldo was called out for allegedly raping a women. The fact you are trying to act like fans defending the players in those two situations is in anyway similar is hilarious and sad at the same time.

Reactions: Mork

FlyingLeafus

But what about the playoffs?
Jan 4, 2009
Milton
This is a transparently calculated attempt to receive as much attention as possible. I wonder why he wants this, it kinda worked.

Palio

Dec 9, 2015
The hate that Tavares gets for leaving is one of the most ridiculous things I’ve seen in my 30 years of watching sports. He gave 10 years to the Islanders. Played at a MVP level. They failed to surround him with the needed players/management. He earned the right to leave. He chose to go and play for his childhood team and be closer to his / his fiancées family and friends that also is poised to be a Stanley Cup contender for the duration of his contract. Get over it. The Isles finally brought in a quality coach / GM and are having a fantastic season. Focus on that. Maybe if they had done it a year or 2 earlier he would have stayed.

I’ve changed jobs throughout my life. I’m sure everyone reading this has too. That’s life. Move on. The Toronto Maple Leafs are elated to have John Tavares

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Not sure who I am defending with this one but I do think Tavares being a "leader" is overstated by many in the media but at the same time it's not like Tavares is some sort of locker room cancer or anything
"Leadership" in general is overstated.

Look no further than Steve Yzerman. Tons of critics who for years said he wasn't enough of a leader to get it done. The instant the Wings won, he was instantly praised for his incredible leadership skills by those same talking heads...

Basically, reporters take the result and THEN construct the story afterwards.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The hate that Tavares gets for leaving is one of the most ridiculous things I’ve seen in my 30 years of watching sports. He gave 10 years to the Islanders. Played at a MVP level. They failed to surround him with the needed players/management. He earned the right to leave. He chose to go and play for his childhood team and be closer to his / his fiancées family and friends that also is poised to be a Stanley Cup contender for the duration of his contract. Get over it. The Isles finally brought in a quality coach / GM and are having a fantastic season. Focus on that. Maybe if they had done it a year or 2 earlier he would have stayed.

I’ve changed jobs throughout my life. I’m sure everyone reading this has too. That’s life. Move on. The Toronto Maple Leafs are elated to have John Tavares
Sure.

But he could've told them ahead of time. Stringing them along like that was awful. And btw, I've always really liked Tavares.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The hate that Tavares gets for leaving is one of the most ridiculous things I’ve seen in my 30 years of watching sports. He gave 10 years to the Islanders. Played at a MVP level. They failed to surround him with the needed players/management. He earned the right to leave. He chose to go and play for his childhood team and be closer to his / his fiancées family and friends that also is poised to be a Stanley Cup contender for the duration of his contract. Get over it.

Nobody holds it against Tavares that he left, it's the fact he left us in the worst possible way we can think of that annoys us. It basically feels like he used our team as Plan B in case the Leafs weren't interested. if he at last season's deadline said hey maybe it's time for me to move on then I don't think the negativity would be as big as it is the way he did it. Hell even coming out a few days before July 1 and saying well looks like I am not going back to NY would have been a slight improvement(all signs point to his choice made a few days before he signed).

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
"Leadership" in general is overstated.

Look no further than Steve Yzerman. Tons of critics who for years said he wasn't enough of a leader to get it done. The instant the Wings won, he was instantly praised for his incredible leadership skills by those same talking heads...

Basically, reporters take the result and THEN construct the story afterwards.

Only way Tavares leads is with his work ethic off and on the ice, that being said I don't see him like a rah rah rally the troops type of leader which many times is the way the media portrays him

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Only way Tavares leads is with his work ethic off and on the ice, that being said I don't see him like a rah rah rally the troops type of leader which many times is the way the media portrays him
I'll take the guy who produces over the guy who's "rah rah" in the dressing room anyway... Tavares is just fine.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
How exactly did Tavares string them along?

Did he make promises to management he'd stay?
He should've just been up front and told them that he was moving on. You can say he hadn't made up his mind all you want - he was the key piece to that team, they weren't going to deal him if they thought they could keep him. He strung the team along in the belief they could re-sign him.

Palio

Dec 9, 2015
Sure.

But he could've told them ahead of time. Stringing them along like that was awful. And btw, I've always really liked Tavares.

Nobody holds it against Tavares that he left, it's the fact he left us in the worst possible way we can think of that annoys us. It basically feels like he used our team as Plan B in case the Leafs weren't interested. if he at last season's deadline said hey maybe it's time for me to move on then I don't think the negativity would be as big as it is the way he did it. Hell even coming out a few days before July 1 and saying well looks like I am not going back to NY would have been a slight improvement(all signs point to his choice made a few days before he signed).

Teams trade players without warning all or the time. Teams bury players in the minors. Teams buy players out. It’s the nature of professional sports. He gave New York 10 years. Why should he tell them in advance he’s planning on leaving (if he even knew in advance, from everything I read he want back and forth on his decision until the day he made it) just so he can have his life uprooted and be sent to another team.

And that route often goes just as poorly. The Anthony Davis situation in New Orleans isn’t toxic at all..

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Tavares almost did the same thing Sundin did in Toronto, except Brian Burke came in and turned Sundin away. The situations are very similar though. The hate the two players got is equally ridiculous.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
I’ve never seen a thread on any message board on the internet with such a high concentration of logical fallacies before.

Tu Quoque, Ad hominem, genetic fallacy, etc. aren’t valid objections to what Schremp says and since 100% of the objections boil down to those 3 logical fallacies it shows the Tavares fans that have invaded this thread have nothing to prove Schremp’s allegations wrong.

In fact, I’m pretty sure most of them subconsciously already knew the truth of every word of what Schremp said. Any fan who paid attention to Tavares play over the last 10 years could see that just from his body language on the ice. But I understand why Leaf fans and Tavares fans would repress that knowledge. The truth can hurt. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that this coincides with him stabbing the Islanders in the back and I don’t think it’s a coincidence they’re doing so much better without him. Culture starts at the top and the Leafs better hope Marner’s elite character can offset Tavares’ and Nylander’s and Matthews’ characters because they’ll never win a championship with that group otherwise.

Reactions: RMimagery and Hunn

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Teams trade players without warning all or the time. Teams bury players in the minors. Teams buy players out. It’s the nature of professional sports. He gave New York 10 years. Why should he tell them in advance he’s planning on leaving (if he even knew in advance, from everything I read he want back and forth on his decision until the day he made it) just so he can have his life uprooted and be sent to another team.

And that route often goes just as poorly. The Anthony Davis situation in New Orleans isn’t toxic at all..
Tavares isn't just any other player. He was the face of the franchise. I think he owed the club a clear answer. You disagree, that's fine. But for people to say that there's 'no reason' to be upset with JT here is disengenious at best.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
He should've just been up front and told them that he was moving on. You can say he hadn't made up his mind all you want - he was the key piece to that team, they weren't going to deal him if they thought they could keep him. He strung the team along in the belief they could re-sign him.

Tavares himself has said he didn't know what he was doing up until the July 1st deadline. He didn't string along anyone.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Tavares isn't just any other player. He was the face of the franchise. I think he owed the club a clear answer. You disagree, that's fine. But for people to say that there's 'no reason' to be upset with JT here is disengenious at best.
In business contracts talk not words. JT deserves his share of the blame for how it went but not for the Islanders getting nothing for him. If he was saying he wanted to stay an Islander you put a contract in front of him....if he says no then that right there is your real answer. The Isles weren't going into this blind.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Tavares himself has said he didn't know what he was doing up until the July 1st deadline. He didn't string along anyone.

He basically put the Islanders between a rock and a hard place. if they traded him then their chances of resigning him become 0, if they don't trade him then what happened is the worst case scenario. Now I don't know what went on behind the scenes but for the most part it seems like Tavares had good intentions to resign he just wanted to see what was out there(one would assume dollar value) and if that was the case it would have been a mistake trading him(because resigning him would hold way more value than a bunch of picks and prospects)

As I said I blame Tavares for putting us in the worst possible situation when he could have left on a high note and have people be happy for him

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I’ve never seen a thread on any message board on the internet with such a high concentration of logical fallacies before.

Tu Quoque, Ad hominem, genetic fallacy, etc. aren’t valid objections to what Schremp says and since 100% of the objections boil down to those 3 logical fallacies it shows the Tavares fans that have invaded this thread have nothing to prove Schremp’s allegations wrong.

In fact, I’m pretty sure most of them subconsciously already knew the truth of every word of what Schremp said. Any fan who paid attention to Tavares play over the last 10 years could see that just from his body language on the ice. But I understand why Leaf fans and Tavares fans would repress that knowledge. The truth can hurt. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that this coincides with him stabbing the Islanders in the back and I don’t think it’s a coincidence they’re doing so much better without him. Culture starts at the top and the Leafs better hope Marner’s elite character can offset Tavares’ and Nylander’s and Matthews’ characters because they’ll never win a championship with that group otherwise.

What a pile of rubbish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad