GDT: [EX GM 5] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers | 6:00PM PST | SNET

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Well...lots of opportunity for these depth guys to show what they contribute on the Special Teams that they'll actually be on if they want to make the team. As PKers.

But yeah, that was not intentional. That's just DeKeyser not being in control of what he's doing on the ice at all.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Well this was going about as well as I thought it would. Good for Holloway.

I just realised Wolanin had primary assists on both goals. I thought he was having a decent game, but didn't realise he was doing a Hughes impression.

Reactions: theguardianII

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I know he scored that gift-wrapped goal, but man...just really need more from Hoglander all around. Outside of that he's created nothing, and that effort on that puck just wasn't good enough, then reverted to blindly collapsing toward the net into a crowd.

I really want him to get back to what he looked like as a rookie. But at this point, he just hasn't done enough to make the opening night roster. Not sure if sending him down to the AHL to get his confidence back will help or hinder. But you've gotta do something.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Garland is a frustrating player. Does a lot of good things but also turnsover the puck a lot. Kind of like a medicore version of JT Miller

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Yeah. Makes sense that Virtanen would turn playmaker to help cap this off. The scoreboard at the end is going to read about how everyone would've expected. Not really indicative of the way the first two periods were played, but you knew it was coming. This squad was badly overmatched.

A few bright spots for us here and there. But not much else to say. A lot of guys can head straight to Abbyford from here, or release off to from whence they came.

Give the last few guys contending for spots a look with something more like the real roster, see how they fit with those guys.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I turned it off a couple minutes early, what the hell happened? :laugh:

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
An expected result after seeing the lineups. Hope Wednesday's game features more regulars, and Dekeyser is released before then.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
An expected result after seeing the lineups. Hope Wednesday's game features more regulars, and Dekeyser is released before then.

Yeah.

I think from this game, Wolanin and maybe Juulsen were the only "bubble guys" who really did enough to stick around. Hoglander, i think you keep him right until the end to just figure out what to do with him.

Plus Podkolzin, Garland, Lazar, Dickinson (much to some people's consternation). The rest mostly put in a good effort tonight, but proved pretty definitively that they are not NHL caliber. Put them on the bus directly back to Abbottsford, and get on with it.

Time to get the last couple roster spots figured out among the 2-3 guys left realistically competing for them, and get the vets in gear, exploring chemistry with potential line combos.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
To be expected. Men with boys. Good effort for a while but better talent will always best hustle

Most of these players should have already been cut and after tonight they will be if there is any sense in the organization

Only players that showed they deserved a longer look were:

Wolanin - at least he has some wheels. Made some good passes and plays with his head up.

Burroughs - never should be in your top 6 but given what team have to work Canucks can't be real choosy. Like others backed in too much but not as bad as the others. Did compete.

Aman - shows enough wheels to stay in the play and does win some one on one fights. Would say Aman >>>Dickinson

Lockwood - not all that great but much more in the play than many of the others. Ok on PK

Others

Lazar - obviously stays but at the moment no more effective than Lammikko

Hoglander - scored but always seems to end up tied up in traffic. Overall can't get separation to make plays.

Dickinson - all be said. He's established exactly what he is.

Klimovich - clearly in over his head. Just guessing where he should be. Have to question if he has any future given his inability to read plays

Dries - had chances to make plays but couldn't. He is flat out not an NHL caliber.

Brisebois, Juulsen and Keeper all give up the blue line way too much and back in on everything. Keeper not bad around his net but can get no up ice pressure in the neutral zone. Dekeyser continued to lumber around

Bains - couldn't stay in the play at all. Given his lack of speed looks like a useless pick up.

Delia - hung in for some time of but then got ventilated. Looked too deep on some of the goals.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Went sideways at the end,but was a decent effort..considering the strength of the opposition (with some of the best players on the planet)

I’m assuming that we’ll see the main squad in the remaining pre season games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad