GDT: [EX GM 5] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers | 6:00PM PST | SNET

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This game doesn't reflect well on Boudreau, the Canucks or the NHL. They basically sent a glorified AHL team to Edmonton and expected fans to step up and pay premium prices.

I realize that every team in the league 'writes off' a couple of exhibition games. But that doesn't make it right.

And I don't buy the malarkey that the exhibition schedule is too long, and you have to save your top players for the regular season. The Canucks have made the playoffs once in six seasons. Every guy in their lineup is off from early April until mid-September. I mean how much 'downtime' do you need? Do you get that much time off from your job?

Even when the score was only 4-2, that game was still an embarrassment. The Oilers looked at times like they were going through the motions too, and they can't be happy with the lineup they were facing. Bad habits creep in you're facing such mediocre competition.

The NHL has to step in and do something about these exhibition games. The owe the fans a lot more than the Canucks offered up tonight.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Bruce there he goes?
Yeah, there’s way too many “negative” ifs like this (that are totally possible with a bad start) that I don’t even want to consider.

1664857653770.png

Basically me trying to will it into existence.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
What a waste of a game.

Just play the guys who are going to stick.

They pretty much know that by now.

Generally, teams only want to play the regulars in 2 or 3 pre-season games. Since the league says all teams have to play at least 6 pre-season games, you wind-up with the AHL squad visiting teams.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Saw the roster and stepped out. Not interested in this kind of set up at all.

John Belushi

Registered Boozer
Feb 5, 2006
North Vancouver
When I see guys like Wolanin and Juulsen I think “this is why you don’t sign guys like Tucker Poolman to that inflated contract”

All sorts of equal or better talent making minimum and available on the waiver wire.
the problem isn't identifying depth dmen, its believing said dmen to be top-4 capable that seems to be the issue with Vancouver's pro-scouts.

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
not a terrible effort considering it was our scrubs going up against practically their A team. much work left to do.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
This game doesn't reflect well on Boudreau, the Canucks or the NHL. They basically sent a glorified AHL team to Edmonton and expected fans to step up and pay premium prices.

I realize that every team in the league 'writes off' a couple of exhibition games. But that doesn't make it right.

And I don't buy the malarkey that the exhibition schedule is too long, and you have to save your top players for the regular season. The Canucks have made the playoffs once in six seasons. Every guy in their lineup is off from early April until mid-September. I mean how much 'downtime' do you need? Do you get that much time off from your job?

Even when the score was only 4-2, that game was still an embarrassment. The Oilers looked at times like they were going through the motions too, and they can't be happy with the lineup they were facing. Bad habits creep in you're facing such mediocre competition.

The NHL has to step in and do something about these exhibition games. The owe the fans a lot more than the Canucks offered up tonight.
Reduce the number of pre season games, or charge half price..Its not worth having your top players (who are guaranteed a roster spot) injured in games that mean absolutely nothing.

The pre season is , what it is...an opportunity for the coaches/GM to evaluate their squad..The final results are generally insignificant...I dont find it embararrasing..If you dont like it , switch the channel..nobody is forcing you to watch...Come back here on Oct 12th.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Edmonton's fans are the ones paying, not Vancouver's problem. Besides they got goals goals goals.

And that's what pretty much every team sends for an away game in the preseason.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Here’s my stance on the pre season. Play the first few games in small town arenas. Charge next to nothing and play the kids.

But by game 4 it should be down to the last few battles and should some what resemble an nhl team. Playing Klimovich, Bains, Juulson, Stevens, Breezbah etccc when WE ALL KNOW they aren’t making the team is a god damn disservice to the fans paying and the fans watching back home.

It’s just dumb in my opinion. Even Keeper, love the so story but hasn’t played in a year. Send him down because he needs to be playing 20+ minutes a night.

I love Boudreau and how honest he is, but something seems off. Maybe it’s the owner stuff with zero transparency. Hey fans will still blindly consume the protect even though these allegations are taking place.

Maybe it’s the way it shook out with Dorriere and now the cloak the secrecy. But without fail there’s always baggage. Some looking dark cloud over the horizon. You look over to your loved one and say “there’s a storm coming”.

Not to mention the looming contract status of captain Horvat. I’m not an emotional scientist but have a feeling he doesn’t feel great about every other contract getting signed before his. When he’s put in the garbage time.

END RANT

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC

Just don't watch it, and definitely don't pay to go lol.

Everyone knows what to expect with these games, it is what it is.

Reactions: m9

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Assuming we run 8D, it'll be interesting to see which D-man is sent down (after Dekeyser is let go).

Burroughs likely is safe as he's the only extra RHD and has more or less proven he's a good 4RD option.

So then you have to pick between 2 of Dermott, Rathbone and Wolanin. I haven't watched but based on what I'm reading it seems Wolanin has performed the best out of the group but I'm not so confident he stays as "politically" he holds the least leverage.

Dermott acquisition still makes no sense to me.

Reactions: theguardianII

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
Here’s my stance on the pre season. Play the first few games in small town arenas. Charge next to nothing and play the kids.

But by game 4 it should be down to the last few battles and should some what resemble an nhl team. Playing Klimovich, Bains, Juulson, Stevens, Breezbah etccc when WE ALL KNOW they aren’t making the team is a god damn disservice to the fans paying and the fans watching back home.

It’s just dumb in my opinion. Even Keeper, love the so story but hasn’t played in a year. Send him down because he needs to be playing 20+ minutes a night.

I love Boudreau and how honest he is, but something seems off. Maybe it’s the owner stuff with zero transparency. Hey fans will still blindly consume the protect even though these allegations are taking place.

Maybe it’s the way it shook out with Dorriere and now the cloak the secrecy. But without fail there’s always baggage. Some looking dark cloud over the horizon. You look over to your loved one and say “there’s a storm coming”.

Not to mention the looming contract status of captain Horvat. I’m not an emotional scientist but have a feeling he doesn’t feel great about every other contract getting signed before his. When he’s put in the garbage time.

END RANT
last several years you people were pissed that we weren’t giving the farmhands enough of a chance. “play the kids” was all we heard during preseason.

just can not make fans in this market happy. so why even try. just play your game, coach.

Reactions: andora

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Pod and Garland somehow were able to avoid a minus in this game lol. Mcdavid somehow ended up -1.

• Haha
Reactions: me2

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
last several years you people were pissed that we weren’t giving the farmhands enough of a chance. “play the kids” was all we heard during preseason.

just can not make fans in this market happy. so why even try. just play your game, coach.
To be the Devils advocate here.

Oilers in their first 3 games barely made the rules for icing a proper team for X games.

I think most will agree, first 3 games you ice rookies, PTO and enough vets to not piss off the nhl. Last 3 games you pretty know what you have and you let the vets skate off their sun tan and battles for the bottom half of the roster do their thing

Reactions: theguardianII

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Reduce the number of pre season games, or charge half price..Its not worth having your top players (who are guaranteed a roster spot) injured in games that mean absolutely nothing.

The pre season is , what it is...an opportunity for the coaches/GM to evaluate their squad..The final results are generally insignificant...I dont find it embararrasing..If you dont like it , switch the channel..nobody is forcing you to watch...Come back here on Oct 12th.

I think you just sort of have to accept what the preseason really is.

It's not a "tune-up" for the Regular Season as it's often touted. It's just a way of gradually easing some vets back into the routine, while giving coaches/GMs a chance to take a look at their fringe/bubble guys and start to get a feel for the bottom reaches of their depth chart for later down the road.

When it comes to the "real vets", the Coach knows what he's got there. The guys he doesn't get much of a chance to work with and evaluate, are all these depth guys who will spend most of the year in the minors.

Games like this are about seeing who among these depth options can actually hang and not look completely out of place. Both to potentially secure those last couple depth player/press box spots on the NHL roster, but also so the coach has a better idea what he's getting when injuries inevitably hit, and it comes time to call one of these guys up to fill in.

Like honestly...the NHL season is 82 games long. That's insanely long. Way too long. We fans, and the coach get a very very long look at the "NHL Regulars" over that time. Most of the preseason is better spent saving their energy, and evaluating the "Other Guys". Plus, there's that big break between the end of preseason and start of regular season anyway. I don't really buy into the notion of "momentum" coming out of the preseason at all. There's a switch that flips opening night for vets, and they're absolutely definitely not thinking one iota about that preseason game a week ago, whether they completely mailed it in or scored a hat trick. It's not "real" to established Vets.

It's "real" and can be make-or-break for less established fringe players. This is their moment. That's just the reality of what preseason is. Don't expect it to be something it's not.

Reactions: Orr4Norris

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Nuts to the forward line up, I want to see a full compliment of D next game, or as close to a full compliment as possible given injuries.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC

“You people”? We’re not you people. You people are “you people”.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad