Ex-Canucks Discussions - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
A guy who plays a few games for you and doesn't get another sniff at the NHL doesn't qualify as a 'good NHL player' or even 'solid NHL player'. Not even 'below average NHL player'. Nonis was well known for those types of acquisitions unfortunately.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yannick Tremblay, Aaron Miller and Mike Weaver were all good depth D men that Nonis never got any credit for.

Weaver yes. Decent pickup of a depth player.

Tremblay was kind of crappy farm insurance that had 1 surprisingly good game.

Miller was a terrible signing. We needed any sort of forward help, and Nonis blows his remaining cap space on a washed-up, injury prone defender we didn't need. Edler was our best player in training camp that year and started the year in the AHL because we had too many defenders on 1-way deals.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
The Canucks had the best PK in the league for the 1st time in franchise history that year.

I... are you trying to have a conversation or just throwing out random statements?

The Canucks PK was 14th overall the year Aaron Miller was here. Yannick Tremblay played a grand total of 5:40 shorthanded. Krajicek and Fitzpatrick at least took regular shifts but were justifiably stuck on the third pairing on a Canucks team that relied heavily on their top four..

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I... are you trying to have a conversation or just throwing out random statements?

The Canucks PK was 14th overall the year Aaron Miller was here. Yannick Tremblay played a grand total of 5:40 shorthanded. Krajicek and Fitzpatrick at least took regular shifts but were justifiably stuck on the third pairing on a Canucks team that relied heavily on their top four..

I always thought Krajicek at least could stick in the NHL in a bottom pairing role somewhere, even if the myriad of Nonis' other acquisitions couldn't.

LolClarkson*

I just loved that team I guess. The ultimate underdogs.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Definitely wish we had Weise still. Hated the trade then, still hate it now. Obviously MG had no choice, but Weise is a solid fourth liner. Sucks Torts just couldn't see that and utilize him better.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
Definitely wish we had Weise still. Hated the trade then, still hate it now. Obviously MG had no choice, but Weise is a solid fourth liner. Sucks Torts just couldn't see that and utilize him better.

He should have been used on the PK IMO. Instead those minutes went to the Sedins, and while I'm not opposed to them in that role - see guys like Nash and MSL in NY - it feels like their shorthanded TOI came at the expense of guys like him and Hansen. Especially Hansen, in fact.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
I just loved that team I guess. The ultimate underdogs.

They were underdogs for a reason. Kudos to Nonis for starting to rebuild the team but when he was fired most of those guys were (rightfully) shippedo our or let go.

Travis Green was a gooder though.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I'll say it...I miss Kyle Wellwood.

I agree. And I miss him a damn sight more than Weise.

Weise had kicks at the can with two different coaches and they came to the same conclusion. And he's been invisible against NYR. I mean, good for him but some players are just not going to thrive in certain places.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I miss Raffi Torres. There I said it.

That's easy to miss. Same can be said for about 50% of Raffi's shots too. :laugh:

Seriously though, as far as Benning saying our bottom 6 needs more physicality...no ****...why didn't we sign Raffi again? Before or after, no Canuck has been able to hit like him with the consistency he did. Sure, Edler, Bieksa, and Kesler have had their fair share of solid collisions in the day, but who else can say they knocked out Seabrook and Thornton out of series in the playoffs? That guy was a wrecking ball sometimes. We really missed out on him in the 2011 offseason and again at the 2013 deadline.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
Welly was good for us and I wanted to keep him even with Malhotra coming here. Don't remember how much less he took on his deal with SJS but I mean, we had no 4th line. :(

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
That's easy to miss. Same can be said for about 50% of Raffi's shots too. :laugh:

Seriously though, as far as Benning saying our bottom 6 needs more physicality...no ****...why didn't we sign Raffi again? Before or after, no Canuck has been able to hit like him with the consistency he did. Sure, Edler, Bieksa, and Kesler have had their fair share of solid collisions in the day, but who else can say they knocked out Seabrook and Thornton out of series in the playoffs? That guy was a wrecking ball sometimes. We really missed out on him in the 2011 offseason and again at the 2013 deadline.

I forget, is he signed with SJ still or was that a 1 year deal?

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

I think Raffi's reputation is an underrated factor here. We can't have him on a team that is already persecuted on a regular basis.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Torres is turning 33 in October, we don't need more age on this team, especially in the bottom 6. By the time his contract in San Jose is up, he'll on the backside of his career.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
ugh, AV in the finals. barf.

8965011.jpg

1543204.jpg

vigneault_choking.jpg

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Torres is turning 33 in October, we don't need more age on this team, especially in the bottom 6. By the time his contract in San Jose is up, he'll on the backside of his career.

Anyone who wants him at this point is incorrect, IMO. Hossa's hit buried him. I still think Eberle's hit was stupid and unnecessary but being villified for the Seabrook hit was equally as stupid, if not only to gain storylines. My bias might be showing.

But you are right. I think we should've re-signed Torres in 2011, but the Hossa hit has effectively neutered him in what he used to bring to the team...here's my favourite hit...during his time here...

Actually, changed my mind...

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC

Guy was a useless plug here and the only reason he was on our 4th line was 'cause we had no other good options.

Just 'cause he scored a few playoff goals over two series, doesn't mean he's a good player now. Wasn't gonna last forever, didn't do much in the Rangers series and doubt he does much in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad