Ex-Canucks Discussions - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
here's the link to part 3: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=869950&page=1

Continue here.

detroitredwingsvphiladelphiaflyershzw2s0dzgfgl.jpg

220px-Brendan_Morrison_Hawks.png

Michael_Grabner_New_York_Islanders.jpg

0301hodgson.jpg

Sami+Salo+Jeff+Skinner+Tampa+Bay+Lightning+d52jaPK20mKl.jpg

luongo2.jpg

images

9483123.jpg

I know there's already a Sami Salo appreciation thread, but I'm gunna miss the guy. Can't wait to see the Salo - Ohlund pair reunited.

Last edited:

mrbitterguy

Sep 24, 2010
san francisco
I know there's already a Sami Salo appreciation thread, but I'm gunna miss the guy. Can't wait to see the Salo - Ohlund pair reunited.

what, you mean in heaven? i find it hard to believe that ohlund is going to be able to play in the nhl again. you think sami salo is slowing down, ohlund is toast.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Mikael Samuelsson lets loose:

In an interview with HockeySverige.se, an online only publication, Samuelsson took some parting shots at the Canucks management (he loved most of his teammates) some nine months after being traded to Florida.

”I didn’t think very highly of management, so in that way I didn’t mind,” Samuelsson said of the trade.

Samuelsson also revisited the Stanley Cup final and pinned blame for the loss on Alex Burrows.

“Me myself was in the press box during those games, but it probably wasn’t very good that Burrows bit Patrice Bergeron in the finger in the first game,” Samuelsson said. “

“After that, Boston was angry. You might say that was the wrong team to fire up. They play a very physical game and I thought it would’ve been better to let the bear sleep, if you know what I mean.”

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/0...urrows/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

metric

May 6, 2010
I have always questioned management a bit. Gillis and AV seem to be part of the old boys club in some ways. This mentality doesn't really work too well with the current generation. The game has changed and while Gillis has shown himself to be a progressive thinker in many ways (sleep study, etc.) he does seem to have certain beliefs that are a bit old school. He's also a pretty no nonsense guy.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Well we won the game of the bite, and the next one. Doubt that was really a turning point.

mrbitterguy

Sep 24, 2010
san francisco
Well we won the game of the bite, and the next one. Doubt that was really a turning point.

bite happened in the first game, right? boston was going to get pissed off about something when they were losing, so i don't think not biting bergeron would have changed anything but the specific trigger that got them mad. also pretty sure they were a lot madder about the horton hit.

really though, you want a turning point, it was deciding to dress shawn thornton and shift focus from trying to play with the canucks to the trying to beat up the canucks.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Interview with former Canuck Shirokov:
This is a translated version of an interview Sergie Shirokov originally gave to Vyacheslav Sambur in early June. Sergei Shirokov spent two seasons in the Canucks organization, and while he was an AHL All-Star, he never cracked the club's NHL roster full-time.

While he didn't make much of an mpact at the NHL level, he's an interesting guy and a good quote. Here he talks about playing in the AHL, why it's tough for AHL scorers to crack the big leagues, the influence of Mike Keane, and his experiences during the 2011 Stanley Cup Riot.
http://canucksarmy.com/2012/7/7/sergei-shirokov-fondly-recalls-his-north-american-hockey-experience-and-crazy-canucks-fans

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
I agree about the chain thing. We had injury problems when we called him up, but never gave him a chance in the top 6. When we did, for a small period of time, he was buzzing constantly.

I still feel bringing AV back was a huge mistake.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Yep. Never saw the reasoning behind bumping up a 3rd liner to play a 2nd line role, then moving a 4th liner up to take his spot, and promoting an AHLer to play on the 4th line. How do you evaluate your skill prospects then? Unless we were absolutely strapped for cap space. Which is what got Shirokov (undeservingly) sent down, but that's business. Not offering even just a 1-way contract baffles me too.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
Canucks management can go **** themselves.

I have always questioned management a bit. Gillis and AV seem to be part of the old boys club in some ways. This mentality doesn't really work too well with the current generation. The game has changed and while Gillis has shown himself to be a progressive thinker in many ways (sleep study, etc.) he does seem to have certain beliefs that are a bit old school. He's also a pretty no nonsense guy.

It might just be me, But I get this strange feeling that behind closed doors Gillis is a bit of a bully and that act wares thin with other GM quickly. I alays thought Burke was a bully till I saw an interview with three former GMs who talked about different approaches GMs took and they mentioned that while Burke was like the guy you see on TSN every night he has above average people skills and knows when to tone it down and to have a laugh. The question is can Gillis.

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
When's the last time an ex Canuck who didn't thrive or fit here became a really solid player with a change of scenery? Weaver? Don't really count Grabner because he was just getting his feet wet and was on his 2nd team.I have a feeling if/when Raymond is gone he will thrive on another team

Outside99*

When's the last time an ex Canuck who didn't thrive or fit here became a really solid player with a change of scenery? Weaver? Don't really count Grabner because he was just getting his feet wet and was on his 2nd team.I have a feeling if/when Raymond is gone he will thrive on another team

A lot of guys learned and flourished here:
- wellwood - waiver pu fm leafs? Now a ft nhler
- bernier - totally different player now than when he got here
- samuellson - detroit gives him almost 2x 3 years later
- SOB - was a waiver pickup
- ehrhoff - should be thanking canucks for that lucrative sabres contract.
Guys like weaver, rome, mitchell and salo were already there when they got here - self-starters.

Credit team leadership, demanding coach and winning organization. Its also why good players do poorly on bottom teams.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Yep. Never saw the reasoning behind bumping up a 3rd liner to play a 2nd line role, then moving a 4th liner up to take his spot, and promoting an AHLer to play on the 4th line. How do you evaluate your skill prospects then? Unless we were absolutely strapped for cap space. Which is what got Shirokov (undeservingly) sent down, but that's business. Not offering even just a 1-way contract baffles me too.

I don't think it's all that tough to understand. A guy that has been with the team all year, and often longer than that, is a known commodity. An AHL call-up is usually less so. A coach wants to give the bigger minutes and roles to guys that he is extremely familiar with instead of players that he knows mostly from reports and training camp.

On top of that, it can also be a thing where you want to give a reward to the guys that have been with the team all year, working hard to get a chance when an opportunity presents itself. A big part of coaching at that level is managing the egos of an entire roster of players. Bumping guys up the chart when an injury strikes is a good way to keep guys working hard at those bottom 6 roles because they know you're not going to just parachute in someone from the minors instead of giving them a shot at the bigger roles they all want.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
I don't think it's all that tough to understand. A guy that has been with the team all year, and often longer than that, is a known commodity. An AHL call-up is usually less so. A coach wants to give the bigger minutes and roles to guys that he is extremely familiar with instead of players that he knows mostly from reports and training camp.

On top of that, it can also be a thing where you want to give a reward to the guys that have been with the team all year, working hard to get a chance when an opportunity presents itself. A big part of coaching at that level is managing the egos of an entire roster of players. Bumping guys up the chart when an injury strikes is a good way to keep guys working hard at those bottom 6 roles because they know you're not going to just parachute in someone from the minors instead of giving them a shot at the bigger roles they all want.

While I do see your point, shouldn't there be a limit to that? I understand if it's a third liner who works really hard and you give him a promotion to the second line for a bit. But he has no offensive talents whatsoever, is it really going to hurt their ego's to bring in someone with a better talent set? For example, Tanner Glass should not be playing on the third line at any point; yet we saw it.

AV :l

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad