Ex-Canucks Discussions - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Recall when he signed that deal he said that he was glad to be signing with a team that had a chance to win the cup

Uh huh. Aside from Mikael Samuelsson I don't recall too many players signing a free agent contract and then failing to give an overly optimistic quote about his new team's chances to win..

"Yeah, this team is going nowhere, but I guess that's why I got this lifetime contract am I right guys?"

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
An extra few shifts a night for Dale Weise is not going to change the fate of any hockey team.

Nor is Dale Weise going to produce as much offensive with Tom Sestito and Brad Richardson as he can with Daniel Briere.

I liked Weise well enough (still don't like some of his choices, like for example talking about whatever Lucic was up to tonight after the game) and he is a useful player but he was unhappy being on a team with a fourth line that could not be trusted with any significant responsibiliy, and whether he was here or not the Canucks were most certainly that.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
^ did weise actually say anything about lucic? seems like dreger asked him about it, because lucic clearly grabbed him and we all saw it, and weise acknowledged that something was said and then declined to elaborate.

i mean, i don't know, i wasn't in that conversation. but all we have is a tweet and it's freakin' dreger. who'd be surprised if it was:

dreger: lucic grabbed you in the handshake line.

weise: yeah.

dreger: what did he say?

weise: i'd rather keep that on the ice.

dreger: i bet it was classless and disrespectful right?

weise: uhh...

then lucic is told that weise called him out, and he responds by calling weise a baby. the media, a game of telephone.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
An extra few shifts a night for Dale Weise is not going to change the fate of any hockey team.

Nor is Dale Weise going to produce as much offensive with Tom Sestito and Brad Richardson as he can with Daniel Briere.

I liked Weise well enough (still don't like some of his choices, like for example talking about whatever Lucic was up to tonight after the game) and he is a useful player but he was unhappy being on a team with a fourth line that could not be trusted with any significant responsibiliy, and whether he was here or not the Canucks were most certainly that.

Think its safe to say no one was going to produce much under Tortorella.

Sadly it was personal issues with Torts that got him traded.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
^ did weise actually say anything about lucic? seems like dreger asked him about it, because lucic clearly grabbed him and we all saw it, and weise acknowledged that something was said and then declined to elaborate.

i mean, i don't know, i wasn't in that conversation. but all we have is a tweet and it's freakin' dreger. who'd be surprised if it was:

dreger: lucic grabbed you in the handshake line.

weise: yeah.

dreger: what did he say?

weise: i'd rather keep that on the ice.

dreger: i bet it was classless and disrespectful right?

weise: uhh...

then lucic is told that weise called him out, and he responds by calling weise a baby. the media, a game of telephone.

Frankly who cares.

I mean do people not wonder why Lucic is always surrounded by some drama. 7 years in the NHL and hes had the cops intervene with him and his GF, last summer with a scuffle in Van, plus the actual hockey related stuff.

Maybe its time to look at the common denominator.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Weaver has been a boss for us too.

Yeah, I don't even care about how trading Weise makes us look bad. Good for him and Weaver and nice to see them doing well on a team that's made it to the conference final.

Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

The Dutch Gretzky with a quick strike.

[NHL]2013030217-58-h[/NHL]

Harrison Mooney ‏@HarrisonMooney
Tracing Dale Weise’s incredible journey from reluctant goon to playoff hero. (With a pit stop in the Netherlands.)

From the Pass it to Bulis Blog. Dale Weise is beyond good right now.

Three goals. That’s three times as many goals as Sidney Crosby had in this postseason. Is Dale Weise better than Sidney Crosby? I’m not saying it. The numbers, they speak for themselves.

Okay. While the NHL playoffs are a breeding ground for the sort of short-sighted thinking that leads to proclamations that Player X is the new best player in the world after a few good games, no one is suggesting that Weise is better than the Penguins’ captain.

But he is better than the Canucks gave him credit for. Weise is making that abundantly clear right now.
Weise joined the Canucks just prior to the 2011-12 season, claimed on waivers from the New York Rangers. He couldn’t have been happier about it. Weise spent three seasons in the AHL as a major contributor for the Rangers’ AHL affiliate Connecticut Whale nee Hartford Wolf Pack, and he had hoped that his work on the farm, combined with a strong training camp, would be enough for a roster spot on the Rangers proper.

It wasn’t. Fortunately, while the Rangers didn’t want him on their opening-day roster, the Canucks, who had inquired about his services the year prior and been rebuffed, did.

But things had changed for the Canucks since they first showed interest. In 2010-11, they were a speed and skill team, relatively uninterested in fisticuffs and goonery, mostly hoping to roll four lines that could play. At the 2011 trade deadline, they acquired Chris Higgins and Max Lapierre, two role players with sandpaper, but far more skill than punch, in an effort to bolster their fourth wave of attack. Regrettably, injuries forced the two much, much higher up the lineup. By the Stanley Cup Final, the Canucks were a three-line team.

They were beaten by a four-line team, the Boston Bruins, and the Canucks emerged from that Final with a different vision. After being pushed around, they deemed pushback much more important.

Had Weise arrived when they intended, he would have relished the way they wanted him to play. But by the time he got there, they mostly just wanted him to punch people. He would have preferred not to.

That’s not to say that he’s a pacifist. After all, Weise racked up 114 penalty minutes in his last full season in the AHL. But he did it while putting up big numbers. The winger didn’t fancy himself a fighter who could play. He fancied himself a player who could fight.​

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
Dale Weise. What a trip. Still bemused by the whole thing.

I hear some of the stuff he says though and definitely get glimpses of the personality that (purportedly) wore itself thin in the nucks dressing room.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Saw Gillis the other day wearing a mindcheck Rypien shirt. Thought it was nice to see.

LolClarkson*

Uh huh. Aside from Mikael Samuelsson I don't recall too many players signing a free agent contract and then failing to give an overly optimistic quote about his new team's chances to win..

"Yeah, this team is going nowhere, but I guess that's why I got this lifetime contract am I right guys?"

It was reported as a snide comment at the time

LolClarkson*

Another ex-Canuck.

He was claimed off waivers from the Pens by the Canucks on October 2, 2007 and played 55 games that season. He signed as an unrestricted free agent by the St. Louis Blues the following season before signing with Florida in 2010.

In Florida he and Jason Garrison formed one of the league's best pairings.
http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2011/07/10/the-games-most-underrated-defense-pairing/

We should try and aquire him to make the best of Gerry

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Tremblay played 12 games, how much credit do you think Nonis deserves for that? :laugh:

Miller was serviceable but not all that good IMO. Certainly didn't justify his place as our big UFA acquisition that season. :naughty:

LolClarkson*

Tremblay played 12 games, how much credit do you think Nonis deserves for that? :laugh:

Miller was serviceable but not all that good IMO. Certainly didn't justify his place as our big UFA acquisition that season. :naughty:

Tremblay was good insurance to have on the farm. He won us a game against Carolina that year. Not sure why he faded away. Miller was Mitchell lite. That teams solid defensive abilities was always overshadowed by how good Luongo was.

LolClarkson*

And another solid all star D man acquisition Nonis made that year was Rory Fitzpatrick. Lukas Krijichec was also a pretty good player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad