Former Bruins EX Bruins Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
I just wanted to mention a thought I just had after watching Chara beat up Martin for a dirty hit on his teammate. Chara makes $800,000 this year. We gave him up/let him go for nothing. Let me ask you this question plain and simply:

If you could wave a magic wand and replace Lauzon or any of the other bottom 6 D with Zdeno Chara on this team, would you do it? I find that question difficult to say "no" to if we are all being honest. Adding Chara to your team for $800k, and replacing what is borderline milk toast on the bottom 6 D with him. Instantly makes your team better, and for basically zero cost. Not to mention, he was already on the team and had chemistry and leadership roles with the group. Just seems like a stupid decision to let him walk for nothing, as this team would clearly be better with him on it than without, and for free basically.
Chara would not accept the role that DS and Cam had laid out to him for this season.
I would assume that role was a 6th dee with sheltered minutes.
He has proved he can still be effective playing on the right team and with the proper dee partner, so good for him.
Would I want him back, no.
I think our dee is just fine and we have enough depth.
Lauzon, in my opinion is someone I would rather have on the ice vs Chara. He is younger, faster and a better player.
Chara is a slight improvement vs Tinordi, who is our 8th/ 9th dee now.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Chara would not accept the role that DS and Cam had laid out to him for this season.
I would assume that role was a 6th dee with sheltered minutes.
He has proved he can still be effective playing on the right team and with the proper dee partner, so good for him.
Would I want him back, no.
I think our dee is just fine and we have enough depth.
Lauzon, in my opinion is someone I would rather have on the ice vs Chara. He is younger, faster and a better player.
Chara is a slight improvement vs Tinordi, who is our 8th/ 9th dee now

One of the two is still and NHL level D. The other is an AHLer unless glued to McAvoy.

Buck Smith

May 23, 2016
Seeing David Backes reaction after playing his (likely) final NHL-game... Ducks vs. Blues... it´s hard not to wish things would have turned out one notch better in Boston for both him and us - that his best years could have lead up to an actual Cup and that his memory could have been preserved in a better light than the anchor contract discussion at the end of his sejour with us. I really love Backes emotional commitment and one has to respect the world out of the sum of his achievements and gifts to our sport!

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles

I think regardless of the outcome the Bruins needed to move on from Chara in order for the defense, and more importantly McAvoy to grow. There were times where our defense could have used Chara back there but it would have stunted the growth of our younger defense.

The obvious story line will be Chara proving us wrong but I think it was just time.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I think regardless of the outcome the Bruins needed to move on from Chara in order for the defense, and more importantly McAvoy to grow. There were times where our defense could have used Chara back there but it would have stunted the growth of our younger defense.

The obvious story line will be Chara proving us wrong but I think it was just time.

For me, if Chara is here, Mike Reilly probably isn't.

I'll take Reilly over Chara right here in May 2021. And I still think Chara is an NHL D-man in the right role. I'm not sure that role was in Boston.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Former Bruin David Backes officially retires:

Screenshot_20210909-181752_Instagram.jpg

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I still maintain that what he brought to the locker room was invaluable. Great career David!

I will always remember my college roommate and I dying laughing watching him bully the opposition in the 2014 olympics. He was the meanest guy on the ice during the entire tournament, I LOVED seeing that in the olympics

StrBender

Mar 7, 2005
North Shore, MA
He always seemed like a real class act of a player and teammate. Teams can never have enough players like David. Even when his game was off, he always held his head high and worked hard at being a great leader and teammate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad