Former Bruins EX Bruins Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
I just wanted to mention a thought I just had after watching Chara beat up Martin for a dirty hit on his teammate. Chara makes $800,000 this year. We gave him up/let him go for nothing. Let me ask you this question plain and simply:

If you could wave a magic wand and replace Lauzon or any of the other bottom 6 D with Zdeno Chara on this team, would you do it? I find that question difficult to say "no" to if we are all being honest. Adding Chara to your team for $800k, and replacing what is borderline milk toast on the bottom 6 D with him. Instantly makes your team better, and for basically zero cost. Not to mention, he was already on the team and had chemistry and leadership roles with the group. Just seems like a stupid decision to let him walk for nothing, as this team would clearly be better with him on it than without, and for free basically.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
I just wanted to mention a thought I just had after watching Chara beat up Martin for a dirty hit on his teammate. Chara makes $800,000 this year. We gave him up/let him go for nothing. Let me ask you this question plain and simply:

If you could wave a magic wand and replace Lauzon or any of the other bottom 6 D with Zdeno Chara on this team, would you do it? I find that question difficult to say "no" to if we are all being honest. Adding Chara to your team for $800k, and replacing what is borderline milk toast on the bottom 6 D with him. Instantly makes your team better, and for basically zero cost. Not to mention, he was already on the team and had chemistry and leadership roles with the group. Just seems like a stupid decision to let him walk for nothing, as this team would clearly be better with him on it than without, and for free basically.

The
Bruins
Offered
Chara
A
Contract
He
Choose
To
Sign
In
Washington
As
Was
His
Right
As
A
Free
Agent.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida

Not $800k. $1.25M or so cap hit and it would be $1.5m or so if they win the cup.

Also, he didnt beat up Martin. He hit his shoulder once and then helmet a few times. He hasn't beaten anyone up in many years.

They offered him the 7D position. Given the fact there is almost always at least 1D injured, he would have played nearly every game this year if he proved himself effective. He chose to leave for his own reasons.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
The
Bruins
Offered
Chara
A
Contract
He
Choose
To
Sign
In
Washington
As
Was
His
Right
As
A
Free
Agent.
Bruins
told
Chara
he
wouldn't
be
a
regular
defenseman.
Washington
told
him
he
would
and
he
is.

Not $800k. $1.25M or so cap hit and it would be $1.5m or so if they win the cup.

Also, he didnt beat up Martin. He hit his shoulder once and then helmet a few times. He hasn't beaten anyone up in many years.

They offered him the 7D position. Given the fact there is almost always at least 1D injured, he would have played nearly every game this year if he proved himself effective. He chose to leave for his own reasons.
Saying he needed to prove himself effective is such horseshit. They decided to take a step back on the ice in the hopes that the kids would develop for a step forward in the future. As it is they're still a step behind without him.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

What's your definition of "Many years"?

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

You fundamentally do not understand why Chara left. Not even close.

Reactions: Alicat

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I see the gnashing and wailing over Zboril and Lauzon. Frankly, I think it's absolutely ridiculous. If you'd told me the would hold up so well in an extremely condensed schedule in which we've used 13 defenseman (and lineups for which they've often been some of the most relied upon guys) I'd have been very happy. This year of trial by fire development will pay huge dividends for them both. If not, then we need to know what we have in these two and come up with a different plan if it doesn't pass muster. If you ask me, we will be fine with whichever of the two is left after Seattle picks.

But to the point. I love Big Z -- but if he was playing here I'd be hearing the same old shit about how he's slow, he's stealing a spot from our young defenders, he should have retired because he's a pilon, etc, etc, etc,

This place some times.

We need rain, my tomatoes aren't growing.
It's raining, happy now?
The rain is ruining my f***ing barbeque.
Yes, but at least it gave you some nice juicy tomatoes for your burger.
I hate tomatoes. I just grow them for something to do.

f*** me.......

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
What's your definition of "Many years"?

That's your definition of a beat up? A few punches to the back of the head reaching over the guy's shoulder? Kane seemed just fine to me after the refs separated thwm.

To me, a beat up would be, off the top of my head, Miller vs Vitale and Moen or most McQuaid fights.

Chara is tall and strong but not a good fighter. Most of his fights involve him grabbing a guy, using his reach to hold him away, spinning around, throwing a wild haymaker, missing, and falling to the ground.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Bruins
told
Chara
he
wouldn't
be
a
regular
defenseman.
Washington
told
him
he
would
and
he
is.

Saying he needed to prove himself effective is such horseshit. They decided to take a step back on the ice in the hopes that the kids would develop for a step forward in the future. As it is they're still a step behind without him.

Wow. He's 44. This could be the year his game dropped off. It will happen eventually. If the 6 healthy guys ahead of him gave the Bruins a better chance to win, you think they'd have him out there?

Reactions: inactive user

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Wow. He's 44. This could be the year his game dropped off. It will happen eventually. If the 6 healthy guys ahead of him gave the Bruins a better chance to win, you think they'd have him out there?

Every player needs to prove himself.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
That's your definition of a beat up? A few punches to the back of the head reaching over the guy's shoulder? Kane seemed just fine to me after the refs separated thwm.

To me, a beat up would be, off the top of my head, Miller vs Vitale and Moen or most McQuaid fights.

Chara is tall and strong but not a good fighter. Most of his fights involve him grabbing a guy, using his reach to hold him away, spinning around, throwing a wild haymaker, missing, and falling to the ground.
Yeah not a great fighter but so big and long that it makes up for it against most guys.

This one last year caught him by surprise, he’s not used to guys actually connecting with him.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
yep, felt to me that he was a kid who believed that talent was all that was required to both play and stay in the NHL

Spooner might of had a career if had embraced being a winger at the NHL level. But for some reason he always seemed to fashion himself a center in his mind, and he wasn't a center here in the modern-day NHL.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Spooner might of had a career if had embraced being a winger at the NHL level. But for some reason he always seemed to fashion himself a center in his mind, and he wasn't a center here in the modern-day NHL.

Partly because he didn't want to grind in the corners and along the boards is my guess. The guy was incredibly soft.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

Or embraced back checking, or embraced physical contact, or embraced board battles, etc. etc. etc. Like many 2nd round talents, Spooner excelled at every level, until he didn't, and then he refused to add elements to his game to make up for his lack of 1st round talent.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Partly because he didn't want to grind in the corners and along the boards is my guess. The guy was incredibly soft.

Or embraced back checking, or embraced physical contact, or embraced board battles, etc. etc. etc. Like many 2nd round talents, Spooner excelled at every level, until he didn't, and then he refused to add elements to his game to make up for his lack of 1st round talent.

All true, but if you can put up 50-60 pts. consistently on the wing than you can live with the other aspects of their games that are lacking.

Problem for Spooner was when he wasn't producing he wasn't bringing much of anything.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
That's a whole lot of imagination about what could happen and a big ole IF doing a whole lot of work.

Back here in the real world of what has happened and isn't conditional Chara's game this year would pretty easily have him in the lineup and making the team better all year.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
All true, but if you can put up 50-60 pts. consistently on the wing than you can live with the other aspects of their games that are lacking.

Problem for Spooner was when he wasn't producing he wasn't bringing much of anything.

Hence the reason Anders Bjork has a slot in Buffalo, and Ryan Spooner is in Europe. Bjork wasn't any more of a grinder than Spooner, but he knew he had to develop that part of his game or say goodbye to an NHL job.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
yep, felt to me that he was a kid who believed that talent was all that was required to both play and stay in the NHL

Its always interesting to look at the KHL leaders and see names you haven't seen in years lol. I mean just looking at the KHL this year and their top P/GP players

Vadim Shipachyov
Ryan Spooner
Jori Lehtera
Markus Granlund
Dmitrij Jaskin
Shane Prince
Reid Boucher
Nigel Dawes
Kaspers Daugavins
Rob Klinkhammer

^All guys in the top 25 for P/GP in the KHL.

duffy

Feb 12, 2006

I don't believe for a second that the B's would be better with Chara back! He was offered more money but less of a roll, he chose to leave. Have you watched the Caps, he looks even slower than with us. Add to that, he didn't do anything when his Bruin teammates were getting hunted by cowards like Wilson and Ovechkin were putting our players out for months with predatory hits. Yes he does for the Caps so what does that tell you. Was he neutered by Cassidy or did he not give a crap about predatory hits against his Bruin teammates? For me its a hard no to Chara and I may be in the minority but we have to stop pining for our ex players who don't fit anymore.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
That's a whole lot of imagination about what could happen and a big ole IF doing a whole lot of work.

Back here in the real world of what has happened and isn't conditional Chara's game this year would pretty easily have him in the lineup and making the team better all year.

But you don't know that until you see him in a few practuces and games. Your view here is a real headscratcher. I am going to leave it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad