Post-Game Talk: EX 1: Well. That sucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Meh. Don't really care about the actual score but am more concerned about Tocchet's thinking behind icing that lineup. You could count on one hand the number of players who, best case scenario, are bottom-of-the-roster players on opening night.

My speculation is he knew they would lose badly, but wanted to see the size of the fight in each player. I'm not convinced that was a good way to do this, but it appears Tocchet is the kind of coach who does. Scaffolding is always better than demoralizing, IMO.

Canucks' fans can only hope his approach leads to tangible results in the regular season.

And Podkolzin... tick-tock. Like, it's D+5 for him. Yikes.
Probably don’t want the main team flying to Calgary annd back and losing practice time.

That’s assuming they have been practicing yesterday and today.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Meh. Don't really care about the actual score but am more concerned about Tocchet's thinking behind icing that lineup.

Canucks management had one job. Last year, the team never really got over their winless preseason. That was a harbinger for what was to come. So we needed a tidy start and a tidy preseason. And we got possibly the worst preseason game in franchise history.

If they actually knew the roster Calgary was icing then it is unforgivable. All it did was suck the air out of the fanbase and team.

The only way to forget it is to win the next game. So here we are. The second preseason contest is must win game. Only in Vancouver...

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
Obviously the teams were a little lopsided, but remember when Jim Rutherford said this....

"If we were playing in a real, strong structure, it would make it easier for our defence to play and it wouldn't matter who was on our defence, but right now we don't have that strong structure and we need to change the makeup of our defence,"

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
When he was criticizing Bourdrue , he said this about the preseason games also. And here he is with his structure coach
No it wasn't preseason it was during the beginning of the season, he did it twice once in October and the quote I did was in November, but yeah this is his coach and that structure last night did not look that good, even if the teams weren't even, but Jim said it doesn't matter who's playing lol.

Reactions: Indiana

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I’m always calm when someone grabs me because, and that always results in respect from the bouncers and they appreciate you for not fighting back.

However, I like that point about BJJ, it’s good to know, and sometimes if everything goes wrong, you can at least protect your loved ones.
Running away is almost always the best option in street / bar fights.

If someone with Jockos pedigree says so. Its true for all us normies.

BJJ is good for certain things but not really great for street fights. It makes you comfortable with violence to a certain degree. So your fight or flight doesnt go in to overdrive for small 'infractions.'

I find that people who actually know how to fight dont get in to fights. They do not need to prove to others or to them self that they can.

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
last year before FAQ finally let him fire bruce, didn’t JR fire call him out in the press for starting the year off behind the 8 ball by f***ing around and wasting the preseason?

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Canucks management had one job. Last year, the team never really got over their winless preseason. That was a harbinger for what was to come. So we needed a tidy start and a tidy preseason. And we got possibly the worst preseason game in franchise history.

If they actually knew the roster Calgary was icing then it is unforgivable. All it did was suck the air out of the fanbase and team.

The only way to forget it is to win the next game. So here we are. The second preseason contest is must win game. Only in Vancouver...
Except that you've manufactured this scenario entirely in your head.

• Haha
Reactions: Play

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia

There’s some blame on Calgary as well

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I would not really read anything at all in to the overall team performance.

It makes sense to draw conclusions on specific players... Räty looks to have improved his skating. Julsen and Woo looked lost... etc.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
last year before FAQ finally let him fire bruce, didn’t JR fire call him out in the press for starting the year off behind the 8 ball by f***ing around and wasting the preseason?
It could be referring to the training camp where coaches and players didn’t know what they were doing

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC

Think you're reading a little too much into that game. If you wanna think 4d chess here then maybe the worst offense was handing a morale boost to Huberdeau on a silver platter but it's usually meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Just one game.

I do agree though that the team needs to start icing the starting roster sooner to build some chemistry and momentum heading into the season. The roster is pretty much locked and set aside from some 4th line and 3rd pairing depth. We never really used the preseason to do this last year and that perhaps contributed to the winless slow start. We need to ice the regular roster sooner this yr.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I guess what I worry about is not the score, or what lineup was iced, or how certain players played -- you know, because it's all just preseason -- but what *does* concern me is what lopsided stuff like this does to the team's confidence. WE HAVE TO HAVE A GOOD START THIS SEASON. Another wonky start where the team doesn't look ready or confident is not acceptable, and I would think they would be doing everything they can to instill a sense of "we got this" in the players to keep that from happening yet again. Sure, the score or result doesn't matter in preseason, but a 0-10 drubbing out of the starting gate certainly doesn't feel like a "we got this", does it?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I guess what I worry about is not the score, or what lineup was iced, or how certain players played -- you know, because it's all just preseason -- but what *does* concern me is what lopsided stuff like this does to the team's confidence. WE HAVE TO HAVE A GOOD START THIS SEASON. Another wonky start where the team doesn't look ready or confident is not acceptable, and I would think they would be doing everything they can to instill a sense of "we got this" in the players to keep that from happening yet again. Sure, the score or result doesn't matter in preseason, but a 0-10 drubbing out of the starting gate certainly doesn't feel like a "we got this", does it?
It was mostly the A roster.

But if Tocchet is instead planning on icing 15 of the expected 23 man roster with the intention of having the guys gel faster to start the season, I can understand that.

Teams have been icing their main roster for home games and almost just throw away the road games unless it’s the final tuneup one.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Admittedly yes. But how isnt it a must win ? Its a must be close at least.

It's not must win in the least. If the coaching staff is extracting value from the games that help shape the roster, it doesn't really matter if they lose another game 10-0. Because the preseason doesn't matter.

Reactions: Play

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
It's not must win in the least. If the coaching staff is extracting value from the games that help shape the roster, it doesn't really matter if they lose another game 10-0. Because the preseason doesn't matter.
Momentum and confidence plays a big part. Getting whooped 10 nil even if it was Vancouvers Timbits team, isn't good for either.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
I would not really read anything at all in to the overall team performance.

It makes sense to draw conclusions on specific players... Räty looks to have improved his skating. Julsen and Woo looked lost... etc.
I welcome your new optimistic outlook with open arms

Rypper remaining calm and refuses to spark any momentum towards a pessimistic fan outrage.

One of the most prolific Canucks boards poster for a reason

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Maybe JR should have hired some decent assistant coaches instead of using the assistant position to manoeuvre a guy he didn't want into a position to fire him later.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Kind of feel bad for Silovs.....I'm sure he harbored hopes of winning the Canucks backup job. But got thrown to the wolves in his first outing.

He wasn't great.....but then look at the lineup he was playing behind. Hoping he gets another shot or two during the exhibition schedule playing behind a decent NHL lineup.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Momentum?

Can I remind you guys that a decent Canucks roster got blown out 8-2 against the Oilers in 2010 (pre-season)? The very same Canucks roster that made the SCF, and same Oilers squad that finished dead last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad