Post-Game Talk: EX 1: Well. That sucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
As a Police Officer myself, I would agree with your sister. End of the day, communication is the best tool. There is no need to get physical, unless the circumstances make it necessary to do so.

That being said, I cannot think of an instance where being aggressive toward Police will ever be a good idea. Just makes it a shitty time for everyone.

Have a good time, good vibes, respect one another.

Go Canucks go!

I've been fairly close at times to following in her footsteps...

More than a couple times i've thought about becoming a Mountie and wearing those goofy pants and hat.

But even if my municipal misdemeanor didn't disqualify me (i know mounties where it didn't)...i always sorta remember, i absolutely hate everything about the rigid hierarchy it stands for. There's no chance i'd make it through without clashing with the drill sarge guy for being a dink.

The bigger thing though, is that i'd honestly become a statistic if assigned to the middle of absolutely nowhere. I couldn't do it. It's a fascinating life...but no thank you. I have zero interest in living in a community of like a thousand people. Someone else can do that.

Hopefully they're reasonable people who understand what police are supposed to do, and not just assholes.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

I heard the same post-game interview with Tocchet but was disappointed nobody pressed him on the rationale for the decision to send a roster like that to Calgary in the first place.

To me, every pre-season game should be valuable. These games help get your players ready for the opener; and showcase the talents of bubble players who are still in the mix for depth positions.

But what did the Canucks learn from this game? What value was it? Other than to prove that a lot of players in Abbotsford this season really aren't that close to being ready for the NHL.

Maybe I'm being overly sensitive. But for past two seasons, the Canucks had lousy training camps and crapped the bed so badly at the start of the regular season, that they were done by the U.S. Thanksgiving.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Okay. Not a perfect comparison. I guess I'm just saying I'm willing to be a little more patient. Players like him can figure it out later on, whether they're Nichushkin or not.

I guess the issue with Podkolzin is that outside of that one 16 game run in the KHL playoffs, he has never really shown especially high end production at any real serious level. At some point one has to wonder if it's actually there.

Reactions: Breakers

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Podkolzin, Hoglander and Woo were the last gasp draft picks of the Benning regime. So based on Jethro's track record.....it would hardly be a shock of all three guys topped out AHL-NHL 'tweeners.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Calgary had 6 regulars on forward, not 3
Three top six forwards, without arguing about chemistry or position. Yes, they had 6 guys I'd expect to play forward in some capacity, on the conservative side. Pardon me if I wasn't clear in my assessment.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I don't think you're qualified to weigh in on the situation, if you don't think that "getting physical" is ever justified when in comes to bouncers. Or...even Police.

Bouncers are not some moral authority. I've had one instance in my life where i had a run in with one. I'm not seeking out conflict. If they bring it to me, i will respond.

Police is a whole different can of worms. The only issue i've ever had with them...is a result of that bouncer incident. Where if my friends had the good sense to video the thing, those two police officers would be out of a job. I was not resisting anything, but the one police officer knelt on my f***ing head. My sister is a police officer and she pretty clearly confirmed, that is not part of the procedure.

Any police officer who is incapable of de-escalating things, is a worthless waste of space police officer. Basically the caliber of the roster the Canucks sent to this waste of time game.
Sigh... jeesus

I dont even know where to begin.

I recommend BJJ or some other martial art to you. It will usually result in enough confidences where you will be able to stay calm even if someone grabs you.

North America is for some reason allergic to training their police officers properly. So I can easily believe you've had a bad experience. But. You do not know why they are stopping you. There could be a suspect who looks exactly like you they are after. Also with how poorly trained the NA police are, you just really want to de-escalate your self for your own safety.

Same thing to a lesser extent with a bouncer. Often when you get physical with bouncers the bouncers a a group will make sure you wont have a good night. So its better if YOU try to de-escalate, again, for your own safety.

If you think it is just ok to fight back in all these situations, even when you are sober, then its not about alcohol, its something else.

And sorry. This derails the f*** out of the thread even more than the initial bouncer fight stories etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Play

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Calgary had 11 expected regulars dressed for their home crowd including three of their top four D and 3 top six forwards, plus Markstrom.

Vancouver had 3 (maybe 4) expected regulars dressed.

I'm not dwelling on this embarrassing loss, This is like putting a kindergartner in against a pro boxer, and being surprised the boxer won.

To be honest, I don't even consider it all that embarrassing. We basically threw out an AHL squad against the Flames. It'd be embarrassed for Calgary if they didn't obliterate them. Obviously, you'd prefer not seeing such a massively lopsided game but it's a decent way to see which players can cope under pressure and which immediately panic.

I wouldn't cut anyone based on tonight but there are some definite suspects who probably don't last more than another game or two.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
The fact that Akito Hirose achieved an even +/- while playing more than 21 minutes in a 10-0 loss is actually pretty impressive... I'm grasping for positives here.

Anyone who watched the game have some observations of his play in this shit storm that indicate anything different?
He was effective in transition where he'd make smart plays to foil ozone entries. Of course, many of those efforts would immediately be flubbed by teammates in their failed attempt to push the puck up ice.

On the negative side, he has issues boxing out in front of his own net. The 0 +/- was more of a reflection that he didn't get burned this particular game rather than a solid defensive performance all around. Should he make the team, he needs an effective crease clearer as a d partner and likely always will.

Reactions: CanuckleBerry

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I heard the same post-game interview with Tocchet but was disappointed nobody pressed him on the rationale for the decision to send a roster like that to Calgary in the first place.

To me, every pre-season game should be valuable. These games help get your players ready for the opener; and showcase the talents of bubble players who are still in the mix for depth positions.

But what did the Canucks learn from this game? What value was it? Other than to prove that a lot of players in Abbotsford this season really aren't that close to being ready for the NHL.

Maybe I'm being overly sensitive. But for past two seasons, the Canucks had lousy training camps and crapped the bed so badly at the start of the regular season, that they were done by the U.S. Thanksgiving.
NHL tradition.

First pre-season home game teams dress a lineup with at least 50% of their starting roster to "welcome back" the fans.

Away teams in turn dress the bare minimum of vets and the rest are mostly guys who are going to be cut in the next couple of days or are competing for a bottom of the lineup spot.

Canucks camps in the past weren't bad because of pre-season games. They were bad because they were disorganized and no teaching etc was being done.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
I think the rationale behind the lineup was to see who might stand out out of a bunch of average Joes. On the defence Hirose survived with a even and a few forwards were even or just minus 1. Box score numbers aside what I would be looking for is id any players had the ability to elevate their play to the next level. Hoglander was the only one I noticed from this bunch. He made the biggest impression. Everyone else not so much.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
To be honest, I don't even consider it all that embarrassing. We basically threw out an AHL squad against the Flames. It'd be embarrassed for Calgary if they didn't obliterate them. Obviously, you'd prefer not seeing such a massively lopsided game but it's a decent way to see which players can cope under pressure and which immediately panic.

I wouldn't cut anyone based on tonight but there are some definite suspects who probably don't last more than another game or two.
I'm not embarrassed by 'the score'. I'm embarrassed by the fact that the Canucks disrespected the fans who at least wanted to see a competitive game.

And I suppose there are some Flames fans who are reveling in their team putting up a 10-spot. But I'm sure others were disappointed at paying NHL seat prices to watch an AHL team led to the slaughter.

And what about all the fans who tuned in on Sportsnet? You'd think that for the first televised game of the season, the Canucks would have made a far greater effort to ensure a competitive game--like the Leafs-Sens game that preceded it.

I get that it's only one game....blah..blah.blah.....but it was a bad look on the organization, period.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I checked the roster this morning like "wtf is Calgary that desperate for a win, that they are icing their NHL team in the first exhibition game?"

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I checked the roster this morning like "wtf is Calgary that desperate for a win, that they are icing their NHL team in the first exhibition game?"

Eh, it's pretty standard. I don't think a lot of veterans even leave their team city. They leave the exhibition travel to the guys in dogfights for spots, and let the big names play for the fans at home.

Reactions: me2 and Nick Lang

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
HEART
PRIDE
PUSH BACK
RESPECT

A couple of thoughts over that "Calgary Practice"
First the score means nothing
Second the score means a lot.

Not really expected to win, but not to embarrass themselves either.
Calgary didn't really seem to be trying THAT hard but the results of 3 different NHL coaches and 4 different systems some players have been trying to embrace over the last 4 years appears to have had some rather negative effects on younger prospects. Loss of confidence.

The game, there should have been SOME expressions of pride.
There was no "push back", demonstrations of discontent.
Just acceptance.

Even the coaches seemed content.

Not expecting to win is not the same as acceptance of that embarrassment and rejection of acceptance SHOULD have been from the top down, vocal by the coaches and physically by the players. If you can't win the battle then set up to win the war. If the team and coaches are going to roll over and play dead like that what of the easy season? Go down fighting or at least checking harder.

ALBEIT - 2-0 or 10-0 they didn't score enough to win a 0-0 game.

Just wish some of the players showed some heart or level of disgust or anger at Calgary.

WHERE WAS THE PHYSICAL PLAY?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Sigh... jeesus

I dont even know where to begin.

I recommend BJJ or some other martial art to you. It will usually result in enough confidences where you will be able to stay calm even if someone grabs you.

North America is for some reason allergic to training their police officers properly. So I can easily believe you've had a bad experience. But. You do not know why they are stopping you. There could be a suspect who looks exactly like you they are after. Also with how poorly trained the NA police are, you just really want to de-escalate your self for your own safety.

Same thing to a lesser extent with a bouncer. Often when you get physical with bouncers the bouncers a a group will make sure you wont have a good night. So its better if YOU try to de-escalate, again, for your own safety.

If you think it is just ok to fight back in all these situations, even when you are sober, then its not about alcohol, its something else.

And sorry. This derails the f*** out of the thread even more than the initial bouncer fight stories etc.
Patrick Swayze said it better:

(NSFW: language)

:sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: sting101

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
With a couple of exceptions the Canucks put out a roster of all bubble guys. Three or four will make the team just by simply looking at the numbers. The purpose was to see if any one of the players played well enough to change their organizational ranking. None did.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
HEART
PRIDE
PUSH BACK
RESPECT

A couple of thoughts over that "Calgary Practice"
First the score means nothing
Second the score means a lot.

Not really expected to win, but not to embarrass themselves either.
Calgary didn't really seem to be trying THAT hard but the results of 3 different NHL coaches and 4 different systems some players have been trying to embrace over the last 4 years appears to have had some rather negative effects on younger prospects. Loss of confidence.

The game, there should have been SOME expressions of pride.
There was no "push back", demonstrations of discontent.
Just acceptance.

Even the coaches seemed content.

Not expecting to win is not the same as acceptance of that embarrassment and rejection of acceptance SHOULD have been from the top down, vocal by the coaches and physically by the players. If you can't win the battle then set up to win the war. If the team and coaches are going to roll over and play dead like that what of the easy season? Go down fighting or at least checking harder.

ALBEIT - 2-0 or 10-0 they didn't score enough to win a 0-0 game.

Just wish some of the players showed some heart or level of disgust or anger at Calgary.

WHERE WAS THE PHYSICAL PLAY?

dude it's just a pre-season game. nobody needs to be running around taking heads off.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
dude it's just a pre-season game. nobody needs to be running around taking heads off.
Did you maybe consider that Tocchet was looking for the level of desire of the players? How much they wanted to win. OR heaven for bid, how badly a player wanted to be on the big squad or in the NHL?
Maybe he was looking for payback.

Maybe he was "coaching up" like Rutherford's "managing up" showing upper management the lack of skill on the farm?

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
Thing about a team icing NHL regulars in preseason is the regulars aren't expected and usually don't go 100%. Our young guys didn't even come close to contending with a handful of regulars going 75-80 %

Silovs not being able to stop a beach ball definitely didn't help but us not even burying one goal is embarrassing.

I am also quite worried about Hoglander and Podkolzin, more so Podkolzin

Reactions: ChilliBilly
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad