Confirmed with Link: Evgeny Svechnikov to a PTO

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Just like any contact between 2 parties if both agree to make in null and void it becomes null and void.

That's true. But I believe if an NHL team and player void a contract, they can't create a new contract right away and have him immediately resigned. IIRC, a few months need to pass first. But I'm assuming it's different with an AHL contract being voided in favor of an NHL one.

Or maybe I'm thinking about buy out procedures?

When Buff and the Jets agreed to terminate his contract, it made him a UFA. But I seem to recall he wasn't illegible to immediately sign with the Jets. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong?

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
That's true. But I believe if an NHL team and player void a contract, they can't create a new contract right away and have him immediately resigned. IIRC, a few months need to pass first. But I'm assuming it's different with an AHL contract being voided in favor of an NHL one.

Or maybe I'm thinking about buy out procedures?

When Buff and the Jets agreed to terminate his contract, it made him a UFA. But I seem to recall he wasn't illegible to immediately sign with the Jets. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong?

There are rules in place to prevent that kind of obvious cap circumvention.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
So are Ehlers, sveshnikov and PBR gonna be a line. Screaming eagles line

Ehlers played for Halifax, not the Screaming Eagles.

He played only 21 games for us last season, but they were sporadic - even when our HF consensus was that he was one of the Wings' best forwards, he still seemed to end up a healthy scratch for the next few games. It was suggested that maybe he was still in some pain or not in full game shape, or maybe that our coach was just stupid. We're still unsure about why he wasn't in our sorry lineup more frequently; after he was put on waivers it seemed clear that management just didn't see him as part of the team's future.
However, and take this with a grain of salt because it is HF, most of the fans on the RW forum seemed to feel like he was getting the short end of it and that if he'd just be given a regular role then he'd work off the rust and contribute more. He looked like a middle six forward at his best with enough skill to chip in on a second d pp unit. He was bullish around the net where most of his goals came from (something I thought the Jets were lacking in that Montreal series). At his worst, he was slow and hardly noticeable, but still capable of grinding for pucks along the boards and helping to maintain possession in the offensive zone.
I'd like to see what he can do given a legitimate chance. Further removed from the season lost to injury and hopefully in great shape with a big chip on his shoulder. If nothing else, I hope he rides on your extended playoff roster and gets to suit up for a few and pot a garbage goal or two.

Once again, good luck to Geni and to the Jets.

Well that actually sounds like a potentially good fit for a Copp Lowry Svech line

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He played only 21 games for us last season, but they were sporadic - even when our HF consensus was that he was one of the Wings' best forwards, he still seemed to end up a healthy scratch for the next few games. It was suggested that maybe he was still in some pain or not in full game shape, or maybe that our coach was just stupid. We're still unsure about why he wasn't in our sorry lineup more frequently; after he was put on waivers it seemed clear that management just didn't see him as part of the team's future.
However, and take this with a grain of salt because it is HF, most of the fans on the RW forum seemed to feel like he was getting the short end of it and that if he'd just be given a regular role then he'd work off the rust and contribute more. He looked like a middle six forward at his best with enough skill to chip in on a second d pp unit. He was bullish around the net where most of his goals came from (something I thought the Jets were lacking in that Montreal series). At his worst, he was slow and hardly noticeable, but still capable of grinding for pucks along the boards and helping to maintain possession in the offensive zone.
I'd like to see what he can do given a legitimate chance. Further removed from the season lost to injury and hopefully in great shape with a big chip on his shoulder. If nothing else, I hope he rides on your extended playoff roster and gets to suit up for a few and pot a garbage goal or two.

Once again, good luck to Geni and to the Jets.

Thanks for the summary. Sounds like a player that our coach would have a lot of time for. How is his play in his own end?

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Thanks for the summary. Sounds like a player that our coach would have a lot of time for. How is his play in his own end?
I'd say he's competent in his own end. He hustles and doesn't seem to bag it when going from O to D, but he's not the swiftest skater. His ice time was limited in his games last season and he missed the entire previous season, so I'm basing this mostly on memory and my initial reaction - which may have been mostly formed before his big injury. Blashhill had the team playing a pretty boring, lock it down style, so that might have something to do with Svech only being -3, which is not so bad on our lousy team.

Wish I could tell you more, but a Svechnikov sighting on the ice has been a pretty rare thing lately.

Last edited:

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Always good to have some depth and hopefully we get lucky and he turns out to be something even more.
Could be interesting for future core and team success now, if : he is healthy, focused, finds his skills and applies them with outworking opponents every shift, and reconnects with PL Dubois again (re QMJHL junior linemates) and Ehlers and they gel with positive production! If this could happen early season, Jets could trial some new-look line combos, for 3 potential scoring lines and a strong shut-down, defensively steady, puck-possession "4th".
KC-MS-Cole Perfetti / EvSvech-PLD-NEh / KVes-PS-BW / AC-AL-RNash! Sounds pretty good as I read it out loud. With a revamped D and the few key players re-upped and our "brick-house" goalie, lots of potential success, now. While the future is looking a little stronger again with the couple (to possible few) quality D-prospects and this past draft offering a few potential future stars/steady NHL'ers. Looking great, once again " on paper ".

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
Could be interesting for future core and team success now, if : he is healthy, focused, finds his skills and applies them with outworking opponents every shift, and reconnects with PL Dubois again (re QMJHL junior linemates) and Ehlers and they gel with positive production! If this could happen early season, Jets could trial some new-look line combos, for 3 potential scoring lines and a strong shut-down, defensively steady, puck-possession "4th".
KC-MS-Cole Perfetti / EvSvech-PLD-NEh / KVes-PS-BW / AC-AL-RNash! Sounds pretty good as I read it out loud. With a revamped D and the few key players re-upped and our "brick-house" goalie, lots of potential success, now. While the future is looking a little stronger again with the couple (to possible few) quality D-prospects and this past draft offering a few potential future stars/steady NHL'ers. Looking great, once again " on paper ".
I agree. That lineup could be great.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
"Speaking of Evgeny Svechnikov the Moose signed him to a one-year contract for the 2021-22 season. For those wondering why he would sign a AHL contract with the Moose, a PTO with the Jets doesn’t guarantee him a contract for next season while this deal in the AHL will give him that security."

David Minuk. Illegal Curve
Winnipeg Jets & Hockey News in Manitoba| Illegal Curve

Shout out to David of IC for clearing this up. I was wondering why Evgeny signed a Moose contract while being a PTO to try to make the Jets. The Jets had to give him some security before he would showed up in Winnipeg.

As far as I know the Jets have never made this kind of offer before so it makes me wonder if the Jets know something about Evgeny health status that motivated them to make the offer.

I would've thought he could make more in Russia

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Bumping this thread.

Svechnikov looked very good tonight. I think he is a lock for the bottom 6.

not sure why they didn’t give him a shot in the shootout though. Seems like the type of player that could be lethal in the shoot out

Last edited:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
He looked solid today. Definitely wouldn’t mind him on the fourth line or as a 13th forward if he keeps it up.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
How in the heck wasnt he an everyday player in Detroit?

I'd have him in the lineup easily but I feel like we are stocked now in the bottom 6. No turds.

Yeah I have no clue how he wasn't an everyday player. Some Wings fans seem to think Yzerman is purging the org of many of the pieces that predated him.

Svech looks like a real good all around player with some untapped offense.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Yeah I have no clue how he wasn't an everyday player. Some Wings fans seem to think Yzerman is purging the org of many of the pieces that predated him.

Svech looks like a real good all around player with some untapped offense.
Injuries seemed to be the reason.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I think the Jets were set to pick Konechny until Philly traded up and snatched him from us …. 1 pick b4 us!

ItwS also known that the Jets were high on Boesser (van) who went 3-4 picks before we picked Rozlo!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad