Confirmed with Link: Evgeny Svechnikov to a PTO

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Would they have a gentleman's agreement on a contract but wait till they get Little on LTIR before signing him?
Very possible. That is a good point.
I'm doubting it, as I can't see him getting anything more than league minimum for a contract, so it wouldn't matter. There's also enough contracts that don't require waivers that we wouldn't be worried about that either.

djc

Jul 12, 2011
I am correct in thinking the PTO with the Jets is to assist with the Cap and to attend Jets training camp and the signing with the Moose is to allow him access as a Moose player to the organization's resources like medical and rehab staff.

Reactions: The Big M

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
I am guessing that the paperwork to get him into Canada to play will start with his Moose contract. Smart move!

Reactions: GNP

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Lefty who plays the right side...

Not sure where he fits (on the jets)... lit it up with PLD in the Q, but I'm not sure if he's top 6 material. Doesn't seem like the type of guy to play on the copp/lowry line (ves on the right?) and he's not the typical 4th line guy that mo lines to run.

Screenshot_20210820-193001_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: jetsforever

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Said it before, but this signing has all the hallmarks of a True North cultural signing. Great kid from the sounds of it, good heart & character player, team guy, Dubois connection......really fits the mold of the type of asset that could thrive here. Really smart move.
Agree. Jets also just drafted a couple of Russians and a kid from Belarus.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Wings fan here and a perennial Jets playoff bandwagon rider. I'm a fan of his. Injuries really did him no favors but at times he really showed some skill and some grit. Disappointed he was never really given a chance in Detroit, but I'm thrilled to have another reason to watch and root for the Jets. At the very least he should be an effective player for the Moose. He's an easy person to root for.
Hope this turns out to be a great move for Geny and the Jets! Good luck this season, y'all.

:towel:

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
It sounds like his knee injuries have made him slow, but he has a good touch around the net. Seems like a fit for a 3rd line player

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Wings fan here and a perennial Jets playoff bandwagon rider. I'm a fan of his. Injuries really did him no favors but at times he really showed some skill and some grit. Disappointed he was never really given a chance in Detroit, but I'm thrilled to have another reason to watch and root for the Jets. At the very least he should be an effective player for the Moose. He's an easy person to root for.
Hope this turns out to be a great move for Geny and the Jets! Good luck this season, y'all.

:towel:

:laugh: I hope they play that song if he plays.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Amazing signing. Gives him a new chance and I think he might have a shot here with potential to mentor our new-found Russian prospects.

It's a low risk signing. I think the competition is needed, one to push Vesalainen, and two, from what I read on these boards there was really a lack of talent on the Moose last year, so Perfetti is all but guaranteed to have one of Svetchnikov, Vesalainen or Toninato on his wing this year, which is good for his development.

I am not sure who will be mentored. If he stays in the A, gets to ride the bus with Berdin, and maybe Kuzmin makes the team at some point. Hard to see the Belarussian making the team off the hop, with Heinola, Samberg and Chisholm ahead of him.

The one thing that I am kind of wondering with all these depth signings, is if there will be a taxi squad again. I mean everyone is vaccinated, but protocol? Because boy do the Moose have a lot of depth, as it stands.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
"Speaking of Evgeny Svechnikov the Moose signed him to a one-year contract for the 2021-22 season. For those wondering why he would sign a AHL contract with the Moose, a PTO with the Jets doesn’t guarantee him a contract for next season while this deal in the AHL will give him that security."

David Minuk. Illegal Curve
Winnipeg Jets & Hockey News in Manitoba| Illegal Curve

Shout out to David of IC for clearing this up. I was wondering why Evgeny signed a Moose contract while being a PTO to try to make the Jets. The Jets had to give him some security before he would showed up in Winnipeg.

As far as I know the Jets have never made this kind of offer before so it makes me wonder if the Jets know something about Evgeny health status that motivated them to make the offer.

Reactions: Hobby Bull and djc

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
"Speaking of Evgeny Svechnikov the Moose signed him to a one-year contract for the 2021-22 season. For those wondering why he would sign a AHL contract with the Moose, a PTO with the Jets doesn’t guarantee him a contract for next season while this deal in the AHL will give him that security."

David Minuk. Illegal Curve
Winnipeg Jets & Hockey News in Manitoba| Illegal Curve

Shout out to David of IC for clearing this up. I was wondering why Evgeny signed a Moose contract while being a PTO to try to make the Jets. The Jets had to give him some security before he would showed up in Winnipeg.

As far as I know the Jets have never made this kind of offer before so it makes me wonder if the Jets know something about Evgeny health status that motivated them to make the offer.

I believe I read somewhere his AHL deal is worth just over 200k.

So if he impresses enough and gets a new contract after his PTO, doesn't he have 2 parallel contracts? The one he has now and the new one with the Jets? Does the new contract " usurp" the other one?

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth

So if he impresses enough and gets a new contract after his PTO, doesn't he have 2 parallel contracts? The one he has now and the new one with the Jets? Does the new contract " usurp" the other one?

I think if he kills his PTO and the Jets want to sign him to a NHL contract and Svechnikov agrees then the Moose contract is nil and voided. As long as both parties agree any contract can be nullified with a new contract.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Just like any contact between 2 parties if both agree to make in null and void it becomes null and void.

Reactions: GNP and surixon

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I somehow doubt he makes the big show this year. Maybe next year after putting in a ton of effort and showing improvement.
He played only 21 games for us last season, but they were sporadic - even when our HF consensus was that he was one of the Wings' best forwards, he still seemed to end up a healthy scratch for the next few games. It was suggested that maybe he was still in some pain or not in full game shape, or maybe that our coach was just stupid. We're still unsure about why he wasn't in our sorry lineup more frequently; after he was put on waivers it seemed clear that management just didn't see him as part of the team's future.
However, and take this with a grain of salt because it is HF, most of the fans on the RW forum seemed to feel like he was getting the short end of it and that if he'd just be given a regular role then he'd work off the rust and contribute more. He looked like a middle six forward at his best with enough skill to chip in on a second d pp unit. He was bullish around the net where most of his goals came from (something I thought the Jets were lacking in that Montreal series). At his worst, he was slow and hardly noticeable, but still capable of grinding for pucks along the boards and helping to maintain possession in the offensive zone.
I'd like to see what he can do given a legitimate chance. Further removed from the season lost to injury and hopefully in great shape with a big chip on his shoulder. If nothing else, I hope he rides on your extended playoff roster and gets to suit up for a few and pot a garbage goal or two.

Once again, good luck to Geni and to the Jets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad