Player Discussion Evgeny Kuznetsov

Will Evgeny Kuznetsov be a member of the Capitals next season?

• Total voters

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Do you rank him higher than Backstrom? Or do you think the Caps have two top 10 centers in the NHL?

Backstrom is still better overall but to me, there is no question as to who is the more dynamic player offensively. Kuz looks more dangerous than Nicky out there, thanks to his superior skating. I wouldn't be surprised if Kuz outscores Nicky at the end of the season.

If I had to rank the centres right now in the NHL, I'd say Backstrom is in the top 10 and Kuz is in the top 15-20.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
The big advantage that 92 has over 19 is that his miles better skating is going to be a noticeable difference maker in the playoffs. That was already somewhat apparent last year, and last year's 92 isn't on the same level of this year's.

As a side note, hopefully Trotz is smart enough to match Kuznetsov with Oshie in the playoffs. Having snail-on-skates Backstrom with tortoise-on-skates Oshie probably won't work when defenses hunker down. That's the reason Oshie has a poor playoff track record, and why Backstrom disappears as well.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Do you rank him higher than Backstrom? Or do you think the Caps have two top 10 centers in the NHL?
I think he's better than Backstrom right now. I struggle to come up with something Backstrom does better on the offensive side. 92's skating is several levels better and his defensive game is catching up rapidly.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I think he's better than Backstrom right now. I struggle to come up with something Backstrom does better on the offensive side. 92's skating is several levels better and his defensive game is catching up rapidly.

The fact that we're actually debating whether or not Kuz is as good or better than Backstrom is amazing. If you told me that a year ago when he was being compared to Burakovsky, I would not believe it.
Trotz said it best, Kuz is a sponge, he learns incredibly fast. Sky is the limit for him, he may still have untapped potential. If he improved his shot he could also become a lethal goal scorer on top of being a great playmaker.

Breaking down 19 vs 92:

19's strengths compared to 92:
-Face-offs
-Passing technique (saucer passes and one-touch passing)
-experience
-positioning on the ice
-elite defensively
-strength
-size
-board work and puck battles

92's strengths compared to 19:
-speed
-speed
-stickhandling
-creativity
-agility
-puck protection
-edge work
-balance
-proactive offensively

caps8

Apr 9, 2007
Best way to put it IMO is if we are down by a goal who would I want out there? Kuznetsov. If we are up by a goal who would I want out there? Backstrom. Backstrom is the better player but the fact we have this balance is amazing.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
The fact that we're actually debating whether or not Kuz is as good or better than Backstrom is amazing. If you told me that a year ago when he was being compared to Burakovsky, I would not believe it.
Trotz said it best, Kuz is a sponge, he learns incredibly fast. Sky is the limit for him, he may still have untapped potential. If he improved his shot he could also become a lethal goal scorer on top of being a great playmaker.

Breaking down 19 vs 92:

-Face-offs
-experience
-positioning on the ice
-elite defensively
-strength
-size

-speed
-speed
-stickhandling
-creativity
-agility
-puck protection
-edge work
-balance
-proactive offensively

To be honest, i've seen how Kuz was stealing the puck with using his stick a huge number of times. Especially, he loves to do it from behind an opponent. He's been doing this thing last season also but not so frequently as this season. Hasn't seen much of that by Backstrom recently.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

Breaking down 19 vs 92:

-Face-offs
-experience
-positioning on the ice
-elite defensively
-strength
-size

-speed
-speed
-stickhandling
-creativity
-agility
-puck protection
-edge work
-balance
-proactive offensively

Yeah, this is simply not true.

Kuznetsov is good at protecting the puck but that's one category where at Sidney Crosby might be the only player in the NHL that is better than Nicklas Backstrom.

caps8

Apr 9, 2007

Kuznetsov is good at protecting the puck but that's one category where at Sidney Crosby might be the only player in the NHL that is better than Nicklas Backstrom.

Yup.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

It depends if you mean puck protection while stationary or moving around. Of course Backstrom is better than almost anyone at guarding the puck along the boards or in the corner, but Kuznetsov could probably go end to end with the puck just by skating and protecting it.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
That's because of his unreal skillset, not his great puck protection ability. Nick sometimes looks like young Jagr in that aspect.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'd still probably put Toews and Kopitar above Backstrom in terms of puck protection among centers but that's elite company to be sure.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
I love Nick but Kuz is better. I have wanted to split up OV and Nick for so long... and now I want them together because Kuz can carry a line by himself.

OV-Nick-TJ
MoJo-Kuz-Will

Hopefully Bura can get it together and become the 2LW.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Remember when everyone was furious he was being converted to a center?

"CAN'T BELIEVE TROTZ IS PLAYING A NATURAL WINGER AT THE CENTER POSITION!!1ONE!1111"

illicit

Jul 28, 2011
Vancouver
Dare I say we are witnessing the second coming of Sergei Federov? Another 2 points tonight has Kuzy 4th in the league for point scoring. He's also tied for the league lead in +/- with a +14.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Dare I say we are witnessing the second coming of Sergei Federov? Another 2 points tonight has Kuzy 4th in the league for point scoring. He's also tied for the league lead in +/- with a +14.

Maybe a little hasty to go that far :p but yeah he's an amazing player with the potential to grow into one of the all time greats. No doubt. I heards tons of Malkin comparisons before he really got over to the NHL, I no longer like that comparison.

illicit

Jul 28, 2011
Vancouver
Maybe a little hasty to go that far :p but yeah he's an amazing player with the potential to grow into one of the all time greats. No doubt. I heards tons of Malkin comparisons before he really got over to the NHL, I no longer like that comparison.

Of course I'm being a tad over-optimistic, but hey, you never know right?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I know one thing, he's got Fedorov's effortless stride.

It's funny, I said literally the same thing 6 months ago at the beginning of this thread, look it up.
Kuznetsov is progressing at an exponential rate. I haven't had that much fun watching a player progress in a Caps uniform in almost a decade.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Best way to put it IMO is if we are down by a goal who would I want out there? Kuznetsov. If we are up by a goal who would I want out there? Backstrom. Backstrom is the better player but the fact we have this balance is amazing.

backstrom is out there for an offensive zone faceoff with 30 seconds to go and down a goal. he is the one the puck runs thru as well.

people wonder why backstrom is underrated. this entire kuznetsov conversation is a prime example why backstrom is underrated. kuzy is great. he is a real difference maker for the capitals. backstrom is better.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
Kuz is fantastic and a steal (x10) at #26 - but Bäckström is 19 in 19 having returned from hip surgery. As of today, Kuz is better (or hotter), but overall I go Bäckis.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Kuz is fantastic and a steal (x10) at #26 - but Bäckström is 19 in 19 having returned from hip surgery. As of today, Kuz is better (or hotter), but overall I go Bäckis.

Who the hell cares who is better. They're both great, and we have both of them on our team. /end conversation.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad