Player Discussion Evgeny Kuznetsov

Will Evgeny Kuznetsov be a member of the Capitals next season?

• Total voters

MrGeno101

Sep 11, 2008
Highlights from this season thought i could share it with you Caps fans. He has great future and hopefully someday win the Stanley Cup for Washington.

itsjustsurvival

These are my last, last words
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2006
richmond, virginia.
Highlights from this season thought i could share it with you Caps fans. He has great future and hopefully someday win the Stanley Cup for Washington.

Awesome video! Kuznetsov just sees the game on another level than most of his teammates. I think my favorite thing about him is that he is the opposite of a perimeter player. He is always finding ways to get into the dangerous areas.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I was completely wrong about Kuz, happy to admit it. I saw a talented guy who looked like a lot of flash with little productivity for much of the season, but he has proven me wrong big time. I see Bura making the same jump in the next couple years. Really excited to see these kids continue to develop.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
So what's his next contract going to look like? Is he getting a bridge deal or a lockup deal?

Bridge deal. We need to see consistency from him before we unload the big bucks. He has all the talent in the world, we know it, we just want to see if he can keep it going over a full season.

2 years, $6M. If he scores 60-70 points per season during the next two years (very likely), lock him up with a 5 year, $30M deal.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
Bridge deal. We need to see consistency from him before we unload the big bucks. He has all the talent in the world, we know it, we just want to see if he can keep it going over a full season.

2 years, $6M. If he scores 60-70 points per season during the next two years (very likely), lock him up with a 5 year, $30M deal.

That will work, but it's possible that his play next year will significantly raise the value of that next deal...

illicit

Jul 28, 2011
Vancouver
How about Kuzy's start to the year? 5 goals, including a hat-trick, and 8 assists for 13 points has him tied for the team league. What are everyone's expectations of him for the season? He is currently shooting at a 22% shooting percentage, which obviously is unsustainable for the season. Realistically I could see a 20 goal, 50-60 point campaign if he continue to see first line ice time with Ovi.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
70 points for Kuzy and room to grow.

Dude is quickly becoming one of the most lethal scoring centers in the game and has hands on Backstroms level and creativity like I can't ever remember seeing in a Capitals jersey... and he just keeps getting better. :handclap:

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Cant stand it when Mojo takes his spot on the #1 PP unit. He needs to be on their with OV and Backstrom.... All the time.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Cant stand it when Mojo takes his spot on the #1 PP unit. He needs to be on their with OV and Backstrom.... All the time.

Putting Kuz in MJ's spot on the first PP would be a waste of skill. MJ plays down low, Kuz plays on the half wall like Backstrom. MJ's only purpose is to gain the zone with control of the puck and cycle it down low with Backstrom.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I hate it when people say "Kuz just made another pass to no one" because I always yell at the screen "why is nobody there to pick it up?"

Dude is creative as hell go with him!!! :rant:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I hate it when people say "Kuz just made another pass to no one" because I always yell at the screen "why is nobody there to pick it up?"

Dude is creative as hell go with him!!! :rant:

It doesn't matter how creative you are if you're not on the same page as your line mates. Kuznetsov seemingly outsmarts his teammates as often as he outsmarts the opponents. Oshie, Ovechkin, and Johansson are the three players I've seen best understand what Kuznetsov wants to do with the puck, and even that isn't guaranteed.

Corax

May 1, 2007
Jagr is from Czechoslovakia which was to the east of the Iron Curtain. IIRC, Jagr was the first eastern European player drafted after the fall of the Iron Curtain. So yes, Jagr went through a Soviet type of training like all Eastern European athletes born in the early 70s and before.

Soviets did not have ice-hockey when Czechoslovakia was already one of the top teams. Soviets invited Czech coaches, so if anything Soviet school is build around Czech.
And you can hear this even from Russian TV hosts on a lucky day, when they drop their nationalistic attitude.

As far as Iron Curtain and all that ignorance where people believe all was was Soviet, it is the same as France and US. You don't fart without getting approval from Washington, but I would hardly call you American
or believe that all athletes in Western Europe are coached the same way.

Don't take this personally, but this notion keeps repeating itself, which is simply not true. Iron Curtain included as many different cultures or systems as you have in democratic world. Scandi vs Spain vs Turkey vs Greece vs Germany... most liberal being Yugoslavia and most rigid Soviets and due to history also DDR.

Adn if anything, sport was the most significant part where "Internationale" did not work. It kept nationalism alive and it meant a lot to beat CCCP in hockey for Czechoslovakia.

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Soviets did not have ice-hockey when Czechoslovakia was already one of the top teams. Soviets invited Czech coaches, so if anything Soviet school is build around Czech.
And you can hear this even from Russian TV hosts on a lucky day, when they drop their nationalistic attitude.

As far as Iron Curtain and all that ignorance where people believe all was was Soviet, it is the same as France and US. You don't fart without getting approval from Washington, but I would hardly call you American
or believe that all athletes in Western Europe are coached the same way.

Don't take this personally, but this notion keeps repeating itself, which is simply not true. Iron Curtain included as many different cultures or systems as you have in democratic world. Scandi vs Spain vs Turkey vs Greece vs Germany... most liberal being Yugoslavia and most rigid Soviets and due to history also DDR.

Adn if anything, sport was the most significant part where "Internationale" did not work. It kept nationalism alive and it meant a lot to beat CCCP in hockey for Czechoslovakia.

Yes, I know that not everything was Soviet on the other side of the Iron Curtain.

I'm not talking about hockey specifically, What I'm trying to say is that athletes who grew up in Eastern Europe at the same time as Jagr all had that same mentality of training extremely hard to achieve incredible results. The countries that have once been under Soviet influence all share one thing when it comes to sports: the desire to be the best.
Put any current NHL player under the same intense training Jagr went through growing up and most of them would give up. The guy did a 1000 squats per day and took 500 shots per day everyday, on top of playing for different teams simultaneously.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
That will work, but it's possible that his play next year will significantly raise the value of that next deal...

Yes, I'm quoting myself...

Interested in people's thoughts about kuzs contract going forward. I thought it was worth the risk to give him a longer contract last offseason, but I understand why they didn't. So what's gonna happen moving forward?

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
No idea what's gonna happen. Maybe Kuzya will win an Art Ross Trophy next year and request a $10M salary.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Yes, I'm quoting myself...

Interested in people's thoughts about kuzs contract going forward. I thought it was worth the risk to give him a longer contract last offseason, but I understand why they didn't. So what's gonna happen moving forward?

When Laich's contract expires, we should lock Kuz up to a big contract just like we did with Backstrom. The play he has delivered so far this season is worth $7-8M easily.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad