Player Discussion Evgeny Kuznetsov

Will Evgeny Kuznetsov be a member of the Capitals next season?

• Total voters

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I tend to agree with sycamore - I'm just glad we can have this discussion without irony.

The Caps have two number one centers right now. And that is bleeping awesome.

Crazy to think that I've been watching the Capitals for 25+ years and its the first time.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
NHL.com: Have you changed anything about your preparation for the season this past summer?

EK: The birth of my daughter six months ago changed my whole offseason. But on a serious note, I tried to do as much strength and conditioning training as I could. I ran a lot in the summer. My first priority was to shed some weight, but not lose any strength. I think I achieved this goal. I lost 10 pounds and now I am feeling fresher and stronger (he is listed at 192 pounds). It also helps me to recuperate faster, which is very important during the grueling regular season and Stanley Cup Playoffs.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=791227

Interesting. Must read anyway =)

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I was watching this yesterday before the game, and I can't believe that he has yet another highlight reel goal to add to this compilation. 28 career goals, half of them are highlight reel material. He is the future of this franchise and he will carry the Caps for a long time.

MoJoSauce

Apr 3, 2011
NNK
Just going to leave this here
6Dy3Bzl.gif

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Well-deserved and aside from Pittsburgh, it's hard to think of a more talented 1-2 combination down the center on any other team.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
preseason I said that the x factors for the caps were going to be the 4 unknowns. whether there was ingress or regress and to what extent for Kuznetsov, Burakovsky, Schmidt and Orlov.

Kuzy and Schmidt have so tilted that equation toward ingress that they are easily the thumb on the scale for improvement this season over last season.

I have no fears whatever about Holtby or Kuznetsov come playoffs. Holtby has a track record and Kuzy was already an impact player last playoffs.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
preseason I said that the x factors for the caps were going to be the 4 unknowns. whether there was ingress or regress and to what extent for Kuznetsov, Burakovsky, Schmidt and Orlov.

Kuzy and Schmidt have so tilted that equation toward ingress that they are easily the thumb on the scale for improvement this season over last season.

I have no fears whatever about Holtby or Kuznetsov come playoffs. Holtby has a track record and Kuzy was already an impact player last playoffs.

It looks like Bura and Orlov are also improving, especially Bura who has elevated his play in the past 15 games.

You can factor in the improvement by bringing Oshie + Williams over Brouwer + Ward.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It looks like Bura and Orlov are also improving, especially Bura who has elevated his play in the past 15 games.

You can factor in the improvement by bringing Oshie + Williams over Brouwer + Ward.

Come playoffs Oshie and Brouwer and Ward and Williams may be a wash. I doubt Williams is better than Ward in playoffs and Oshie's fail has been his playoff production.

It doesn't matter if Kuznetsov is a dominant playoff performer. Burt might be better and Orlov as well. I don't think Burt has established himself yet and I don't think Orlov is as good as many had hoped. But Schmidt has been far better than even hoped.

Most here would have thought Orlov would have been elevated to replace a long term injury and if Orlov were not playing well enough to handle that promotion that the team would be in trouble with Schmidt having to do it.

If Burt becomes a legit top 6 forwards in these playoffs and Orlov is as good as Schmidt, the Caps are going to be really hard to beat. though, it seems the consensus is that there is a desire to trade for a veteran defenseman and scratch Orlov.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Come playoffs Oshie and Brouwer and Ward and Williams may be a wash. I doubt Williams is better than Ward in playoffs and Oshie's fail has been his playoff production.

It doesn't matter if Kuznetsov is a dominant playoff performer. Burt might be better and Orlov as well. I don't think Burt has established himself yet and I don't think Orlov is as good as many had hoped. But Schmidt has been far better than even hoped.

Most here would have thought Orlov would have been elevated to replace a long term injury and if Orlov were not playing well enough to handle that promotion that the team would be in trouble with Schmidt having to do it.

If Burt becomes a legit top 6 forwards in these playoffs and Orlov is as good as Schmidt, the Caps are going to be really hard to beat. though, it seems the consensus is that there is a desire to trade for a veteran defenseman and scratch Orlov.

Oshie can't be worse than T-Bro the zero in the playoffs. At worst, they're equal. Williams and Ward are not a wash, Williams has the experience of winning the Cup (3 times with a Conn Smythe).

Orlov is better than I expected, I thought his injury was going to ruin his career.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

Orlov has been good for most of the season, but he makes some mind-boggling decisions from time to time. Very risky plays in his own-zone, and while they work most of the time, it looks really bad when they don't. The kind of stuff that coaches are trying to get rid of when coaching 7-year old hockey players. Kuznetsov had one like that against the Flyers.

I don't really mind if we go into the playoffs with Schmidt-Orlov -3rd pairing but Trotz needs to get him to cut down on those plays. That's the kind of play that can cost you a low-scoring playoff game.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Kuz is definitely the x-factor this year, but I'd like to see Backstrom take a step forward in the playoffs because he's seemed relatively ineffective for a few years now come postseason.

I also think people tend to focus on Orlov's mistakes and miss the big picture: he's really good at driving play and scoring. He's been the best Capitals possession defenseman this season and in 2013-14 (of course he missed all of last season) and he gives up only 43 shot attempts against/60 minutes of play this season, by far the best on the team. It would be absolutely crazy to replace Orlov in the lineup by anyone acquired at the trade deadline just because he makes a few risky plays.

Orlov should be seeing top 4 minutes in my eyes the way he's been playing and it's not even close. Orlov scores 1.23 points/60 even strength, second only behind Carlson's 1.25 points/60. You can't just overlook the big picture because you remember he turned the puck over once or twice and it led to a goal against. For every mistake he makes he makes several good plays that lead to extended zone time, shots for, and goals for. He also doesn't get the benefit of much PP time so his point totals aren't inflated by that. Dude is a stud.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
What a stud. I loved his lateral move for his ASG goal.

Kuz is very dynamic and is just embarrassing Dmen that have no idea what he is going to do next.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Already 31 primary assists.
The last 2 years winners (Sedin and Thornton) finished with 36 and 35 (full regular season)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad