Player Discussion Evgeny Kuznetsov

Will Evgeny Kuznetsov be a member of the Capitals next season?

• Total voters

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Evgeny Kuznetsov started his life in Kaunas Kuchen, Russia, in the 1980s. "To write some interesting political book I went to Russia a little late and found out it was a bit risky, but at first I was very good at it and liked it because of my reading it," Kuznetsov describes himself.

Today he's an editor for The International Front, a national newspaper and television program focused on Russian history. "I did a lot of research on Russian history and the people that gave him the name Khurkhov," he says. "I started a series called Khosny" about the period from the early 1980s. While living there, he also published a collection, "Cheka: The Life and Times of Vladimir Khudai"—which he called his "official History of Khudai."

Vladimir Khudai was born in Russia, but he was just 12 when he entered the U.S., his family later confirmed. His father and a Russian friend were named after his grandfather, who was one of the five presidents of Russia. Khudai was one of the four siblings that lived in Manhattan (Vladimir's father was a major figure in the Bolshevik Revolution). And despite his youthful age (11), he's been described as a "good young man."

a7884ef7-08c6-4084-80b3-78e0eced5ddd_text.gif

Reactions: Leksand and twabby

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
There is no way to know til morning skates, because there wont be formal practices, but I would expect he might be good to play by Sunday?

who knows? Lavi basically admitted in the presser earlier I just watched that he hadn’t even seen either guy on the ice yesterday but heard reports they looked good, that “he was not focused on guys who MAY make the lineup”…..very interesting.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
who knows? Lavi basically admitted in the presser earlier I just watched that he hadn’t even seen either guy on the ice yesterday but heard reports they looked good, that “he was not focused on guys who MAY make the lineup”…..very interesting.

Hey guys, I have to talk to you. I will talk but I wont say anything.

RVACapsFan

May 31, 2018
Kuznetsov’ s ass needs to be fired into the Sun this offseason. What teams would be willing to trade for him? Remember, he has a 15-team NTC so we’re not shipping him off to Columbus or Winnipeg. If anyone is going to trade for him, it’s someone in win-now mode who needs an offensive infusion and/or a shakeup with their top 6 centers. Here’s my list:

Boston - Krejci is a FA
NYR - Just about in win now mode, maybe a chance if they can’t get Eichel
NYI - Reunion with Trotz? Doubt it but who knows
Montreal - Not sure they’re in win-now mode next year
Carolina - Probably on Kuzy’s no-trade list; if not, they have a lot of assets to work with
Florida - Believe Wennberg is a FA; is Bennett the real deal for them as a 2C?
Nashville - Both Johansen and Duchene have underperformed, not sure they do much for us though
Dallas - Most likely spot IMO; they’re just so bland offensively but a lot of that is coaching
St. Louis - Also looks like they need a shakeup; might be on Kuzy’s no-trade list though
Colorado - They’re up against the cap but have done wonders with the spoils from our previous deals
Vegas - Also up against the cap; in win-now mode but man they are thin down the middle
Vancouver - Another team looking at a shakeup

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
I just responded to an apparent Red Wing fan's post over on Main... reposting here as it seems many of y'all don't go there (I raely post there.)...

17 + 42 + Boston's 24 first. Or replace a first with a Berggren, Rasmussen, etc. I would give a lot for Kuzy.
This is certainly good from the Caps side, if you think Yzerman would be inclined to make that kind of offer. I honestly think Kuzy will rebound strongly, and he needs the fresh start.

I don't know how the Blackhawks feel about getting Kuzy to be a C along with Berard (because they will likely want accelerate their return to competitvness) - they are another team that have an abundance of early picks. 19 + 35 might work if both sides agree.

Rationale for the Caps wanting picks in this draft is to accelerate the retool, and it opens the 2C & 3C for McMichael and Protas to give them the proper opportunity they deserve at C. It's unclear if the Caps want to go that way, but it is an option.

If teams think offers like this are out of whack from the Caps side, remember they have an option to try Kuzy with Carberry to see if he can be enough of a change for him. If Caps end up seeing Backstrom go LTIR (if the hip falters) cap space will not be an issue. Nashville, St. Louis, Arizona, and San Jose are also teams with an abundance of picks that may have interest. Maybe they will be a bidding war!

In other words Caps want value and are not desperate

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
My hopes are minimal but I wonder how much Kuznetsov might rebound with Forsythe gone and a different powerplay role? Like, is PP fun time enough to motivate him to play a little truer to his heart and enjoy himself a little in games, or would he just waste them and speed his exit up by cratering high value minutes?

Reactions: Corby78

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
My hopes are minimal but I wonder how much Kuznetsov might rebound with Forsythe gone and a different powerplay role? Like, is PP fun time enough to motivate him to play a little truer to his heart and enjoy himself a little in games, or would he just waste them and speed his exit up by cratering high value minutes?

Every time I've thought "now THIS is the thing that will wake him up".......zzzzzzzzz

Reactions: YippieKaey

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I’m kind of tired of wondering what it’s going to take to motivate a 30-year old making $7.8M a year to play a game to play harder. He’s paid as one of the best players on the team and as a leader and if he can’t figure it out by now then that’s someone they need to rid themselves of. I get that everyone needs a good boss and needs to feel comfortable in their place of work regardless of salary but there has to be some personal pride and accountability as well and I’m seeing none of that. It’s not a case of a guy who is trying hard and just can’t get out of his own way, like Mantha. I see guys give better defensive efforts at beer league at 10:30 on a Thursday at MedStar than I saw from 92 for most of the season. His effort was embarrassing and if anything, the coaching staff put up with it way more than they should have. He should have been healthy scratched at numerous points throughout the season.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I’m kind of tired of wondering what it’s going to take to motivate a 30-year old making $7.8M a year to play a game to play harder. He’s paid as one of the best players on the team and as a leader and if he can’t figure it out by now then that’s someone they need to rid themselves of. I get that everyone needs a good boss and needs to feel comfortable in their place of work regardless of salary but there has to be some personal pride and accountability as well and I’m seeing none of that. It’s not a case of a guy who is trying hard and just can’t get out of his own way, like Mantha. I see guys give better defensive efforts at beer league at 10:30 on a Thursday at MedStar than I saw from 92 for most of the season. His effort was embarrassing and if anything, the coaching staff put up with it way more than they should have. He should have been healthy scratched at numerous points throughout the season.
This…..we probably are stuck with the guy because he’s such a disappointment and the entire league knows it, but I’m so tired of reading “maybe he’ll bounce back (under some new environmental change)”……..the guy is not worth it and this type of poison seeps into every corner of your roster if it’s continually allowed.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com

Something I often lose sight of is that the best-case scenario is Kuznetsov showing up to camp in shape and having a season worth of his AAV this year. Simplest solution, though not the easiest. I do think it unlikely to happen, and will follow all pertinent trade rumors as any fan will, but Kuznetsov playing like a 1C again for the Caps is the most simple solution.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

It's like Jagr but without the goals.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Oh I’m in agreement it’s not going to happen, just trying to figure out what if anything is missing from his enjoyment of the game that this coaching change might accidentally improve. Laviolette’s refusal to hold him accountable drove me crazy and has no real explanation.

I just wonder if he gets a new power play role besides goal line pass bumper and, if it allows him to create and play, he maybe wakes the hell up a little.

There’s no real hope here without work from the player and we know he won’t do that

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Oh and Jagr still managed 16 goals in 46 games his final season as a Cap while basically going through the motions.

Kuzy got 12 in 81 games last year and was a bulbous -26

Reactions: Marshall

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Jagr was much worse. Kuzy has had flashes, and he has made some big plays in some big games. Shoot he arguably has the biggest goal in caps history. Jagr might as well never put in the sweater and did nothing for the team at all.

I'm talking about this past year.

• Haha
Reactions: sycamore

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I just responded to an apparent Red Wing fan's post over on Main... reposting here as it seems many of y'all don't go there (I raely post there.)...

This is certainly good from the Caps side, if you think Yzerman would be inclined to make that kind of offer. I honestly think Kuzy will rebound strongly, and he needs the fresh start.

I don't know how the Blackhawks feel about getting Kuzy to be a C along with Berard (because they will likely want accelerate their return to competitvness) - they are another team that have an abundance of early picks. 19 + 35 might work if both sides agree.

Rationale for the Caps wanting picks in this draft is to accelerate the retool, and it opens the 2C & 3C for McMichael and Protas to give them the proper opportunity they deserve at C. It's unclear if the Caps want to go that way, but it is an option.

If teams think offers like this are out of whack from the Caps side, remember they have an option to try Kuzy with Carberry to see if he can be enough of a change for him. If Caps end up seeing Backstrom go LTIR (if the hip falters) cap space will not be an issue. Nashville, St. Louis, Arizona, and San Jose are also teams with an abundance of picks that may have interest. Maybe they will be a bidding war!

In other words Caps want value and are not desperate
I'll believe that kind of an offer when I see it...

Grabbing that kind of draft capital and using it to move up for someone like Smith or Carlsson would be nice though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad