Player Discussion Evgenii Dadonov (RW)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I haven't minded Dadonov's game but maybe that's because I view him as a complimentary scoring player rather than a big star.

I think all our skilled forwards are suffering from the lack of crisp puck movement from the defence. Our defence definitely works better with guys who score grinding goals rather than nice plays off the rush.

I'm hoping Dadonov can be a weapon on the PP, if that happens then I would say the signing is a success.

At the salary he is being paid, Dadonov should be generating some offence 5 on 5 too; however on this team we lack two top line centers so Dadonov is not likely to do well at 5 on 5 until we do get a top line Center to play with him. L. Brown might be the guy but L. Brown has defensive short-comings due to his lack of quickness and speed.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Free Dadonov from Stepan ASAP

Line Combinations - Frozen Tools

Maybe then he'll start playing better and produce.

The frozen tool has improved, you can even see SF% and CF% directly with line combinations
I agree. Again, I feel this just goes to coaching. I find DJ very simple as I’ve said. Just because stepan is different from dadonov stutzle and galchenyuk doesn’t mean he helps them or compliments them

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I agree. Again, I feel this just goes to coaching. I find DJ very simple as I’ve said. Just because stepan is different from dadonov stutzle and galchenyuk doesn’t mean he helps them or compliments them

What I find an OBVIOUS problem on the team is outside of a few players, passing ability is not good enough to consistently have a good transition/cycle game.

Logan Brown in the line-up would be so detrimental!

Personally if I am Dorion/DJ, I would not care about winning NOW.

I'd have no clear 1st line/2nd line/etc. That's where I'd go with merit. Those playing the best get more TOI.

Stutzle-Brown-Dadonov
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Paul-Tierney-Brown
Galchenyuk-Stepan-White

This lineup would need a Formenton too. I'd have Formenton-Paul-Brown once Stepan and/or Tierney are traded.

But maybe it's Melnyk puting pressure on them to start winning this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix and Icelevel

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
What I find an OBVIOUS problem on the team is outside of a few players, passing ability is not good enough to consistently have a good transition/cycle game.

I'd have no clear 1st line/2nd line/etc. That's where I'd go with merit. Those playing the best get more TOI.

Stutzle-Brown-Dadonov
Tkachuk-Norris-Batheron
Paul-Tierney-Brown
Galchenyuk-Stepan-White

This lineup would need a Formenton too. I'd have Formenton-Paul-Brown once Stepan and/or Tierney are traded.

I’d love to see that.

Reactions: Xspyrit

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville

Stutzle-Brown-Dadonov
Tkachuk-Norris-Batheron
Paul-Tierney-Brown
Galchenyuk-Stepan-White

I like pairing L. Brown with Dadonov, but then I think we need a banger on the left side to create room for them. Maybe Paul?

Tkachuk - White - Batherson
Paul - L. Brown - Dadonov
Stutzle - Norris - C. Brown
Galchenyuk - Tierney - Watson

Some balance of grinding, passing and finish on each line.

Reactions: Xspyrit

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Daddy will be fine. I think he needs to build some chemistry on his line. He has the talent to score in bunches.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He is starting to look more comfortable. I think he will start getting some points soon.

Reactions: Matsens15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yeah think he would be better, if we had something that actually belongs in the top 6 to play with him...Iam still pushing for Stu at center

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I could post this in several threads...

Any player evaluation this year has to be taken with a big grain of salt, or least for now until coaching (and personnel decisions) is fixed. Dorion has made some counter-productive moves to the team. The intention was there but just a bad miscalculation on the quantity of "veterans" needed, particularly when none of them are above average for the role they have to play in Ottawa. Several are actually below average for those roles. You can't expect to have several players to prove they can do well outside of their usual "comfort zone"

Losing Balcers and almost losing Chlapik/Jaros (even if none of them are "blue chippers") for guys like Ansimov, Stepan, Paquette (who doesn't want to be here), Coburn, Reilly. Brown was very short sighted. DJ Dorion seems so stubborn on targeting specific guys, go out of his way to pay assets to get them (and/or diminish/waste other assets in the process/as a result) but in the end, they're nothing special and makes you wonder why we simply didn't go with cheaper solutions instead (like the ton of prospects we had)

Coaching needs to be fixed and roster decisions have to be different. Puck movement, mobility, skating, skill, IQ, etc over "toughness", "intensity" and CCF/60

Tkachuk-Brown-Dadonov
Stutzle-Norris-Batherson
Paul-White-Brown
Formenton-Tierney-Watson
Galchenyuk/Chlapik

Chabot-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Zub
Wolanin-Gudbranson
Brown

- Tkachuk draws massive attention, creates havoc in front of the net, allowing Brown Daddy to make skilled plays as they have more space and time.
- The Deluxe kid line. Great speed, skill, IQ, shot, playmaking... Everything is there, just need to materialize it. You're saying inexperience? lol how has experience worked for us so far?
- I love this line. They can give headaches to any line by pushing the play forward.
- Competent 4th line, Forms gets experience and will move up eventually. He could be a serious threat on a 4th line and the way he brings pucks to the net can allow Watson/Tierney to score goals, pretty much like Swarz in Belleville last year.

- Chabot-Zaitsev, no choice as we have no one else capable of playing these minutes
- Brannstrom, his skating/speed/hockey smarts alone makes him much better and safer than Mike Reilly. As soon as he is healthy enough, he should be in the lineup over him, this is a NO BRAINER. Zub is another smart D-man who can move the puck and be steady. He has a lot of pro experience (KHL). A few games and that pairing who be a MASSIVE upgrade on what we have seen so far.
- Gudbranson in that spot he can be useful. Provides size, grit, experience to Wolanin, allowing him to find his game and shake off the massive rust.

I really doubt we'll see that kind of lineup but I'm basing it on ability and potential growth. I don't care about immediate results but I'm looking to go somewhere. If anyone wants to argue that's what we are doing right now, lol go for it.

Trade Stepan, Anisimov, Paquette, Coburn, Reilly if possible. If not, put them on taxi.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
He's the only forward of ours to show any type of poise tbh.

His style of play is clearly suited to playing with skill players. We have like one other skill forward in Batherson, and he's a rookie lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad