Prospect Info: Everything Swedish Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
What are you guys looking at?? def not boarding. He hit Seider in the chest/shoulder, not the numbers. (back)
Just knocked him backwards onto his back, and into the boards. Lost his balance and fell awkwardly.
Clean hit. Hope Seider is OK.

Hits 5’ off the boards are in the “danger zone” by which hitting a player in this area cause significant risk of injury due to the fact they can end up awkwardly falling into the boards just as seider did. This kind of hit is regularly called as boarding.

Moreover, the referee didn’t think that was a clean hit as he called a penalty.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Not a big fan of that hit, a player who is worse at protecting himself could get seriously injured there.

In other news, shortly after Seider left, Gelinas with a horrible giveaway on the powerplay leading to a shorthanded goal against. 100% would not have happened with Moritz on the ice.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
This is boarding. Technically, a penalty. But the old school in me compels me to also deem it a good hit. Seider obviously saw it coming, committed to the pass and probably thought he'd be able to protect himself. He failed to, but that will happen. The guy lining him up is trying to cause a change in possession. I don't see any intent to injure, just an intent to win the game. Sit for two and play on.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Hits 5’ off the boards are in the “danger zone” by which hitting a player in this area cause significant risk of injury due to the fact they can end up awkwardly falling into the boards just as seider did. This kind of hit is regularly called as boarding.

Moreover, the referee didn’t think that was a clean hit as he called a penalty.
That is technically the rule, but I honestly don't know if I have seen that called in my entire life at any level. Regularly?
(And the other poster referenced boarding because of "the numbers". I.E. the back, which it clearly wasn't)

The penalty was called as a late hit. We weren't talking about if it was late, an elbow, or dirty. We just said it wasn't boarding.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
That is technically the rule, but I honestly don't know if I have seen that called in my entire life at any level. Regularly?
(And the other poster referenced boarding because of "the numbers". I.E. the back, which it clearly wasn't)

The penalty was called as a late hit. We weren't talking about if it was late, an elbow, or dirty. We just said it wasn't boarding.

Maybe half a second late. Was the ref's hand up before, during or after the result of the hit?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
That tweet shows a slow-mo replay at the end. Not even close to being from behind. Seider was prepared for it and braced himself, just lost the battle

I said I was watching it on my phone and the quality sucked, right in the thing you're quoting.

Wouldn't pop out full screen for me, it looked like a player being boarded to me, especially with the distance indicators being in that general area. It was really low quality, but a part of it was the way he crumpled to the ice gave those indicators. It wasn't that way and I am happy for that.

Okay with the better view it is a clean hit in NA, he also certainly was not braced for that at all in my opinion... He moves the puck and gets hit, but he didn't look tensed up to me at all, he still looks like a guy that didn't think he was going to be hit like that which I am not sure why that was his read. Lesson learned for him I hope.

Last edited:
Reactions: Winger98

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Thats not boarding lol. Maybe in Europe but a big part of boarding is that its a defenseless player. Seider braced for it and lost the battle.

If Seider made a hit like that on someone that was bracing for it (especially a known big hitter), thos board would be having a massive circle jerk in this thread about how nice of a hit it was

Reactions: Gniwder

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I'd be fine if they did make that call more but didn't try to take hip checks out of the game.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Thats not boarding lol. Maybe in Europe but a big part of boarding is that its a defenseless player. Seider braced for it and lost the battle.

If Seider made a hit like that on someone that was bracing for it (especially a known big hitter), thos board would be having a massive circle jerk in this thread about how nice of a hit it was
Doubtful it'd even be called a late hit in the NHL. He loses one battle and the whole board starts crying, lol.

If there's an NHL penalty there, it'd be charging. He definitely took more than two steps and made no effort to go after the puck. (Note they changed the rules so skates leaving the ice is not a required criteria for charging.)

Reactions: newfy

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Rule 603 | Boarding

(Note) Boarding is the action where a player pushes, trips or body checks an opponent causing them to go dangerously into the boards. This includes: Accelerating through the check to a player who is in a vulnerable position, driving an opponent excessively into the boards with no focus on or intent to play the puck, or any check delivered for the purpose of punishment or intimidation that causes the opponent to go unnecessarily and excessively into the boards.
The onus is on the player delivering the check to avoid placing a vulnerable or defenseless opponent in danger.
Nowhere does it state that the player has to be defenseless. I don't see how Seider bracing for the hit makes it less of a dangerous hit to make, he could have gotten BADLY injured if he didn't brace for it and reduce the force that he went into the boards with.

I'm not going to say we wouldn't cheer for the hit if it was Seider delivering it, but part of what's great about his physical play (so far) is that he's not targeting players in ways that risk causing injury. If a bunch of hit hits were questionable it would be cause for concern that maybe he's got bad judgement and will be penalized/suspended for it.

Reactions: SirloinUB

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Nowhere does it state that the player has to be defenseless. I don't see how Seider bracing for the hit makes it less of a dangerous hit to make, he could have gotten BADLY injured if he didn't brace for it and reduce the force that he went into the boards with.

I'm not going to say we wouldn't cheer for the hit if it was Seider delivering it, but part of what's great about his physical play (so far) is that he's not targeting players in ways that risk causing injury. If a bunch of hit hits were questionable it would be cause for concern that maybe he's got bad judgement and will be penalized/suspended for it.

Thats not the rule, I dont know where you got that. Look at page 73 of the NHL rulebook and get back to me my guy

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Thats not the rule, I dont know where you got that. Look at page 73 of the NHL rulebook and get back to me my guy

I was thinking maybe he got that from the SHL rulebook. Looks like it's from the USA Hockey rulebook? Boarding

But that poses a fair question - How does the SHL define boarding? Is it different?

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
There are different wordings on boarding but the jist of it is hitting a player in a vulnerable position. This includes the area of the ice commonly known as the "danger zone"

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Was just looking at the top result on google, but can't find anything in SHL rules about the player getting hit needs to be "defenseless". NHL rulebook also says there's "enormous amount of judgement" involved by referees, which is obvious since you can't really accurately state whether a player is defenseless or not. It's a judgement call. A careless hit that causes a player to dangerously crash into the boards = boarding. If you hit a player a certain distance from the boards, towards the boards, it's dangerous as f*ck. Most players learn at an early age to avoid hitting players like that.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Was just looking at the top result on google, but can't find anything in SHL rules about the player getting hit needs to be "defenseless". NHL rulebook also says there's "enormous amount of judgement" involved by referees, which is obvious since you can't really accurately state whether a player is defenseless or not. It's a judgement call. A careless hit that causes a player to dangerously crash into the boards = boarding. If you hit a player a certain distance from the boards, towards the boards, it's dangerous as f*ck. Most players learn at an early age to avoid hitting players like that.

Seider is sitting thereleaning into him, actually hoping to lay the other guy out. Hes perfectly braced for it, he just lost the battle for once. The guy is barely even skating it looks like, just caught Seider weird. If that called against the wings as a boarding this entire board is pissed about the call

Reactions: alexislafreniere

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Seider is sitting thereleaning into him, actually hoping to lay the other guy out. Hes perfectly braced for it, he just lost the battle for once. The guy is barely even skating it looks like, just caught Seider weird. If that called against the wings as a boarding this entire board is pissed about the call
Disagree, I never like hits that throw players towards the boards from that kind of distance. Seider bracing for it could have easily spared him from more serious injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad