Prospect Info: Everything Swedish Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
would be a great line but want valeno in the show. It’s time for him to make that jump imo.
he probably could. but i don’t think he’s one we need to rush. If he’s allowed to be the man in GR and get that offensive confidence it can go a long way

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
If you think Frolunda is where offense goes to die, just watch the 2019-2020 Grand Rapids Griffins.

As skilled as that line is they'd be forced to play dump and dig hockey by the coach down there.
oh i watched haha. hopefully raymond doesn’t bring mursak in his suitcase

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
need to get raymond out of frolunda. where offense goes to die

I think part of it is on Raymond, he's not very aggressive at all in the SHL. I think it has a lot to do with his skating ability and strength not being good enough yet.

On the other hand, Frolunda's offensive gameplan appears to be dump the puck and hold it on the boards down low for as long as possible. Rarely do they funnel the puck towards the slot/net front. Borderline unwatchable.

SwedeChristoffer

Jul 30, 2019
I think part of it is on Raymond, he's not very aggressive at all in the SHL. I think it has a lot to do with his skating ability and strength not being good enough yet.

On the other hand, Frolunda's offensive gameplan appears to be dump the puck and hold it on the boards down low for as long as possible. Rarely do they funnel the puck towards the slot/net front. Borderline unwatchable.

Yeah I think Raymond is in the worst situation he could be in at the moment, as you say he is a bit too weak when facing men. But he is very good when he has some open ice.
The problem for Raymond is that Frölundas system is built for grinders, with a lot of board battles. And to make matters worse the coach is giving him the worst type of line-mates. Instead of playing him with players that could help him with the board battles and then work off of his strengths (similarly to how EP40 was treated when he came to Vancouver) he plays with Mursak who has similar strenghts (open ice) and to some extent similar weaknesses as he has...

I've said it before, I feel bad for Raymond, I think he would look better (and help the team more) if he just got some linemates that could compliment him in a better way than Mursak does. (and that goes for Mursak too, he looks much worse than he acutally is at the SHL level when he plays with Raymond).

Reactions: mantha39

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
I can just imagine it:

Coach Simon: "I thought I told you pheasants to dump and chase!"

Lucas Raymond: "But coach, it was a 3 on 1..."

Coach Simon: "That's it! You're benched! (Dominic) Shine! You just got a promotion to the first line!"
Dominic Shine to rest of the Griffins bench:
thumb_my-time-to-shine-when-you-run-out-of-simpsons-62559987.png

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Yeah I think Raymond is in the worst situation he could be in at the moment, as you say he is a bit too weak when facing men. But he is very good when he has some open ice.
The problem for Raymond is that Frölundas system is built for grinders, with a lot of board battles. And to make matters worse the coach is giving him the worst type of line-mates. Instead of playing him with players that could help him with the board battles and then work off of his strengths (similarly to how EP40 was treated when he came to Vancouver) he plays with Mursak who has similar strenghts (open ice) and to some extent similar weaknesses as he has...

I've said it before, I feel bad for Raymond, I think he would look better (and help the team more) if he just got some linemates that could compliment him in a better way than Mursak does. (and that goes for Mursak too, he looks much worse than he acutally is at the SHL level when he plays with Raymond).

Like Niederbach and Soderblom? :sarcasm:

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
My opinion. If Raymond isn't going to be developing his offense in SHL, he should be in the NHL over the AHL. He may need a second to adjust to NA ice, but his defense and board battles abilities are great and aren't going to be a liability like many young players. There aren't really any weaknesses in his game that I think he needs to improve in lower leagues except maybe finishing but he looks very good out there and is just playing with low skilled players. I think the best thing he needs is a confidence boost, one that would be gained by playing him with NHL quality talent that can finish a play. He could easily cut it on the 3rd line + PP and gain that confidence.

I am not usually one to advocate rushing prospects, but I really don't think there would be an issue to getting Raymond on the Wings. His puck possession skills/ zone exits and entries are elite and I can't envision him getting converted into a grinder like some players rushed into the league.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
My opinion. If Raymond isn't going to be developing his offense in SHL, he should be in the NHL over the AHL. He may need a second to adjust to NA ice, but his defense and board battles abilities are great and aren't going to be a liability like many young players. There aren't really any weaknesses in his game that I think he needs to improve in lower leagues except maybe finishing but he looks very good out there and is just playing with low skilled players. I think the best thing he needs is a confidence boost, one that would be gained by playing him with NHL quality talent that can finish a play. He could easily cut it on the 3rd line + PP and gain that confidence.

I am not usually one to advocate rushing prospects, but I really don't think there would be an issue to getting Raymond on the Wings. His puck possession skills/ zone exits and entries are elite and I can't envision him getting converted into a grinder like some players rushed into the league.
I agree with skipping the AHL. I think some skilled players are better suited in the nhl. The ahl just stifles there talent which crushes their confidence. I think zadina puts up the exact same production on the wings that he did with the griffs.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Roger Ronnberg, the coach of Frolunda, is lauded as a development coach. He was the coach of the last gold winning squad for Sweden at the WJC U20 in 2012. He also coached Frolunda to a championship in 2016.

He's definitely a defensive minded coach, though. Maybe he's the Swedish Barry Trotz?

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Come on guys, if the argument is that he is too weak to physically compete with the men in the SHL and that is why the points aren't coming, then there is absolutely no reason he should be in the NHL. He would be destroyed and at minimum take a hit to his confidence. No, you give him time to add that strength and quickness, keep his confidence high and let him put together a strong season. Then you can bring him over and maybe he goes straight to the NHL.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Roger Ronnberg, the coach of Frolunda, is lauded as a development coach. He was the coach of the last gold winning squad for Sweden at the WJC U20 in 2012. He also coached Frolunda to a championship in 2016.

He's definitely a defensive minded coach, though. Maybe he's the Swedish Barry Trotz?

It's nothing but good if Frölunda develops us already a great defensive forward. We don't have to develop those flaws in NHL anymore. Skill won't disappear.

People think too much offence-first, are stat-watchers, when determing forwards skill. Raymond is all the time the guy running Frölunda's PP. He is the main man with puck there. He is not forced to play without.

I repeat, skill. won't. disappear.

Reactions: BSHH

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
It's nothing but good if Frölunda develops us already a great defensive forward. We don't have to develop those flaws in NHL anymore. Skill won't disappear.

People think too much offence-first, are stat-watchers, when determing forwards skill. Raymond is all the time the guy running Frölunda's PP. He is the main man with puck there. He is not forced to play without.

I repeat, skill. won't. disappear.

No, skill won’t disappear, but it can and will stagnate. If he isn’t regularly getting the chance to polish his craft in game action, it’s not getting better. And while he is very skilled, he is not the player today that we drafted him with the hopes of him becoming. He needs to develop, he needs to get better....at everything.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Yall are going to great lengths to explain a relatively lackluster SHL season from Raymond

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan

Thats great for Soderblom and Neiderbach. Im torn about Raymond though, he looks very good out there and just isn't putting up the points. I don't know if leaving him there until he "dominates" is the best idea. What do you think he still needs to develop in the SHL?

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
Come on guys, if the argument is that he is too weak to physically compete with the men in the SHL and that is why the points aren't coming, then there is absolutely no reason he should be in the NHL. He would be destroyed and at minimum take a hit to his confidence. No, you give him time to add that strength and quickness, keep his confidence high and let him put together a strong season. Then you can bring him over and maybe he goes straight to the NHL.
Do you think he is too weak physically to compete in the SHL? Thats not the impression I get from watching him. If that were the case I would agree with your assessment.

I am not against keeping him in the SHL if hes still developing. I don't think we should keep him there till he learns to dominate just for the sake of dominating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad