Prospect Info: Everything Swedish Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
SHL back in action today at 1 PM... Playing: Raymond, Soderblom, Berggren, Grewe & Seider... Not playing today Veleno & Johansson.

Also Niederbach & Wallinder vs. Gustav Berglund's team at 1 as well.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
My team, Malmo, just signed Matt Puempel. He and Velano played together last season.

I expect him to be impactful. He is kind of a AHL/NHL tweener, but heavy shot and skates well. Assuming the larger ice doesn't impact him and he does shoot a lot from out far angles and he will need to drive closer, but if that works out this should be a good signing for your team.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I expect him to be impactful. He is kind of a AHL/NHL tweener, but heavy shot and skates well. Assuming the larger ice doesn't impact him and he does shoot a lot from out far angles and he will need to drive closer, but if that works out this should be a good signing for your team.

I'm hoping this leads to Veleno moving back to center and gives him a player on his line who can keep up with him.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
frolunda plays the worst team in the league so heres hoping for some goals but my expectations are low

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Gustav Berglund had an assist in the 1st period. Nothing spectacular, secondary. 4th point of the season.
Seider made a pretty bad giveaway on a goal against, one of his bigger mistakes of the season.
Raymond looks decent, Frölunda as usual not looking so good.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Gustav Berglund had an assist in the 1st period. Nothing spectacular, secondary. 4th point of the season.
Seider made a pretty bad giveaway on a goal against, one of his bigger mistakes of the season.
Raymond looks decent, Frölunda as usual not looking so good.

He's been taking more risks the last 10-12 games or so. More offense but it comes at the expense of his calling card defense. I'm just glad he's doing it there to learn what works and what doesn't.

Raymond is looking like he needs to join the Red Wings next year. Even though he's not tearing up the SHL scoring charts the kid looks like he could be at least a 3rd line offensive winger next year if he adds 5-10lbs more. I don't think there's much more he can do in Frolunda, and I don't think the AHL is a good spot for him either.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
What is going on with Raymond?

Is anyone actually watching his games? Every time I check to see Frolunda's boxscore, he has no points and the team scored at most 2 goals. I expected way more offensive production...I realize they are not a high scoring team, but when is the last time Raymond scored a goal? November?

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI

Is anyone actually watching his games? Every time I check to see Frolunda's boxscore, he has no points and the team scored at most 2 goals. I expected way more offensive production...I realize they are not a high scoring team, but when is the last time Raymond scored a goal? November?
When he's playing 11-12 minutes a night... not much else you can do.

Kid's a fabulous talent, just gotta give him a chance

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
When he's playing 11-12 minutes a night... not much else you can do.

Kid's a fabulous talent, just gotta give him a chance

Ok but there's gotta be a reason that he's not getting the minutes. I'm assuming you haven't been watching the games (based on your location). Why is he not getting more ice time? Is he playing poorly in the defensive zone? Is his effort being questioned? Is he not being careful with the puck?

Looking at their roster, they are by no means loaded with offensive firepower, so I'm just wondering what he is doing wrong. I agree that he needs a bigger opportunity, and with more minutes comes more production. Sometimes you need to force the coach to play you more, and clearly he's not doing that.

Again, I can't watch these games, but I'm looking for some insight from someone who has watched him play. I don't want to overreact here, but at 4th overall I wanted a star...I honestly feel like he has not scored a goal since November. I could be wrong here and maybe I missed a goal at some point, but I don't recall a Raymond goal (with the exception of the world juniors) for months.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

The team has been really anemic offensively the last ~10 games Raymond has played. Raymond isn’t doing amazing on an individual level but he’s playing solid. Just no points are coming easily for him really.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Ok but there's gotta be a reason that he's not getting the minutes. I'm assuming you haven't been watching the games (based on your location). Why is he not getting more ice time? Is he playing poorly in the defensive zone? Is his effort being questioned? Is he not being careful with the puck?

Looking at their roster, they are by no means loaded with offensive firepower, so I'm just wondering what he is doing wrong. I agree that he needs a bigger opportunity, and with more minutes comes more production. Sometimes you need to force the coach to play you more, and clearly he's not doing that.

Again, I can't watch these games, but I'm looking for some insight from someone who has watched him play. I don't want to overreact here, but at 4th overall I wanted a star...I honestly feel like he has not scored a goal since November. I could be wrong here and maybe I missed a goal at some point, but I don't recall a Raymond goal (with the exception of the world juniors) for months.

I've watched a ton of his games and he's just not standing out. He's not hurting the team but he's not going above and beyond to create chances either. Occasionally you'll see a flash of talent like his assist on Soderblom's first SHL goal but a lot of times its him touching the puck once or twice along the boards and that's it. Rarely does he get to the middle of the ice with the puck.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I've watched a ton of his games and he's just not standing out. He's not hurting the team but he's not going above and beyond to create chances either. Occasionally you'll see a flash of talent like his assist on Soderblom's first SHL goal but a lot of times its him touching the puck once or twice along the boards and that's it. Rarely does he get to the middle of the ice with the puck.

I think that Frolunda is actually happier with playing a low event style of hockey. Get possession, grind it out, don't do anything with flair, don't get overly aggressive. Kill them with boredom and control.

And that's unfortunately the worst thing for Raymond's game at this stage; it feels like they are choking the creativity out of his game.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

He and his linemates are like oil and water.

Raymond is a creative, shifty east-west guy who likes to pick apart defenses. Jan Mursak is a north-south, take it to the net player.

Frolunda's coach has been very successful in the SHL and the WJC U20 level in the past but he plays a very stifling, trapping system. It's not really conducive to highlighting individual talent either. I made the tongue in cheek comment about him being the Swedish Barry Trotz but that may in truth not be far off. He forces all 4 lines to play the same way.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Frolunda's coach has been very successful in the SHL and the WJC U20 level in the past but he plays a very stifling, trapping system. It's not really conducive to highlighting individual talent either. I made the tongue in cheek comment about him being the Swedish Barry Trotz but that may in truth not be far off. He forces all 4 lines to play the same way.

Would sound like a great hire.

Who dares to sign an European!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad