Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Vaccines won’t be available to people like you and me 2022

14 million Ontario’s
Enough for 1.2 by April

next Christmas we will still be wearing masks and social distance
Yes. Trudeau has plead with us to “just hold on for a few more weeks, a few more months” when scientists have said that a vaccine will help but we will still be dealing with the virus for the next few years.

Hopefully the vaccine can help minimize hospitalization and ICU capacity to the point that people and businesses can function somewhat normally.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Yes. Trudeau has plead with us to “just hold on for a few more weeks, a few more months” when scientists have said that a vaccine will help but we will still be dealing with the virus for the next few years.

Hopefully the vaccine can help minimize hospitalization and ICU capacity to the point that people and businesses can function somewhat normally.

Of course we will be dealing with it for years. We are still dealing with SARs. Remember that? When you get your flu shot it contains the vaccination for SARs in it too. It is an added thing we will need to deal with for rest of our lives, the point is once we can vaccinate people the numbers of people that get sick and die from it will drop dramatically to the point it becomes normal like the flu.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Of course we will be dealing with it for years. We are still dealing with SARs. Remember that? When you get your flu shot it contains the vaccination for SARs in it too. It is an added thing we will need to deal with for rest of our lives, the point is once we can vaccinate people the numbers of people that get sick and die from it will drop dramatically to the point it becomes normal like the flu.
“We” (as in the average person) are not dealing with SARS. It may be in our flu vaccine, but we don’t have to wear masks, socially distance, or run our businesses at 50% like we do with Covid.

The vaccine could also make things worse in the short term. People will probably listen to the rules less once a vaccine arrives, and a lot of people who won’t get the vaccine will get sick, making our hospitals and ICUs more full.

I’m not trying to be argumentative or say vaccines are bad. I believe they will bring an end to this nightmare. I just keep hearing from so many people that they can’t wait for 2020 to be over when 2021 will likely be just as bad (hopefully just the first half of 2021).

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018

With the efficacy rates we are seeing, provided high enough % of public accepts vaccination, we would probably almost eliminate COVID.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Posters are reminded to keep their posts on topic and refrain from personal attacks. If you feel someone is breaking forum rules with their post, do not reply in retaliation, instead report the post in question or you may find youself infracted as well.

Any further OT posts may result in an infraction.

Reactions: variable26

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I just watched Ford and Elliott... vaccine distribution before next Fall is a dream

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
The ford government destroyed small business right before Christmas

riots are going to be nuts imo

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Dr. Yaffe just vaguely threatened Police force if people don’t listen

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
“We” (as in the average person) are not dealing with SARS. It may be in our flu vaccine, but we don’t have to wear masks, socially distance, or run our businesses at 50% like we do with Covid.

The vaccine could also make things worse in the short term. People will probably listen to the rules less once a vaccine arrives, and a lot of people who won’t get the vaccine will get sick, making our hospitals and ICUs more full.

I’m not trying to be argumentative or say vaccines are bad. I believe they will bring an end to this nightmare. I just keep hearing from so many people that they can’t wait for 2020 to be over when 2021 will likely be just as bad (hopefully just the first half of 2021).

I hope the governments will really insist on explaining that we need to stay disciplined as we will need an adjustment period after the vaccines start being administered. Do as much "normal business" as possible but keep social distancing and masks in public spaces. Not everyone might have the chance to get a vaccine for months. Plus a lot of people are anti-vaxxers and/or conspiracy theorists so we are not "in control" yet.

Can't afford to flood the health systems, if only due to possible collateral deaths.

One of my friends lost his 70 y/o father this week. I'm actually wondering if things could have been different if they could have found out earlier if they weren't so busy with covid cases. He's actually the brother of one of my best friends who died 2.5 years ago. Now he lost his brother and father in a short period of time.

Hopefully, we'll be back to "normalcy" or very close by next winter.

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Dr. Yaffe just said they can’t contract trace 1/3 of cases so they just cut off small business because

wtf is that about?

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I hope the governments will really insist on explaining that we need to stay disciplined as we will need an adjustment period after the vaccines start being administered. Do as much "normal business" as possible but keep social distancing and masks in public spaces. Not everyone might have the chance to get a vaccine for months. Plus a lot of people are anti-vaxxers and/or conspiracy theorists so we are not "in control" yet.

Can't afford to flood the health systems, if only due to possible collateral deaths.

One of my friends lost his 70 y/o father this week. I'm actually wondering if things could have been different if they could have found out earlier if they weren't so busy with covid cases. He's actually the brother of one of my best friends who died 2.5 years ago. Now he lost his brother and father in a short period of time.

Hopefully, we'll be back to "normalcy" or very close by next winter.
Well said. I’m a little bit nervous when I hear Trudeau telling people to hold on for a few more weeks, a few more months. This isn’t going away as soon as 2020 ends.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Dr. Yaffe just said they can’t contract trace 1/3 of cases so they just cut off small business because

wtf is that about?
August: “the virus is going to be here for a while, we are going to have to live with it”

Small Business Owner- “ok, I spent a lot of money to follow the rules and keep people safe, and it’s working in my establishment!”

Mid November- Boom, start shutting small business down, everyone please go to Wal Mart.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Its going to be July before they can get it first rolling out to the most vulnerable
Makes sense. Hopefully we see the benefits of the vulnerable population getting it first and keeping hospitalizations and deaths down.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I just watched Ford and Elliott... vaccine distribution before next Fall is a dream

Ford says COVID-19 vaccine will be available in early January, announces task force - CityNews Toronto

Premier Doug Ford says a COVID-19 vaccine will be available to Ontarians in early January, 2021.
In his daily briefing on Monday, Ford said the vaccine rollout will be a huge logistical undertaking and will require military precision.
He announced the creation of a vaccine distribution task force and said General Rick Hillier will head the unit.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ford says COVID-19 vaccine will be available in early January, announces task force - CityNews Toronto

Premier Doug Ford says a COVID-19 vaccine will be available to Ontarians in early January, 2021.
In his daily briefing on Monday, Ford said the vaccine rollout will be a huge logistical undertaking and will require military precision.
He announced the creation of a vaccine distribution task force and said General Rick Hillier will head the unit.

Wierd, Elliott said the province is still waiting to hear exactly when it will start receiving vaccines, but it is expected that Ontario's most vulnerable and healthcare workers would start getting them before March.

I guess technically speaking, Jan 2021 is before March, so both can be true...

Sens

Jan 7, 2016

Christine Elliott was talking July before we see anything

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
August: “the virus is going to be here for a while, we are going to have to live with it”

Small Business Owner- “ok, I spent a lot of money to follow the rules and keep people safe, and it’s working in my establishment!”

Mid November- Boom, start shutting small business down, everyone please go to Wal Mart.

Unless the small business owners are doing COVID testing, I have no idea how they could know if it is spreading in their establishment or not.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
And in like anything, people respecting the "rules" will also have to pay for people not respecting them. Ex : bars, or car insurance

I wish they would find a way to manage it differently but probably just too complicated logistically. How do you do that? Have a special covid team in every store for every business hour making sure the establishment is following all procedures? Or to just "trust" people? Unfortunately, too many have proven you can't just do that.

Hopefully they find a way. I have lost a decent amount of money and some opportunities myself. Now I'm wondering how long do I have to postpone my projects.

Well said. I’m a little bit nervous when I hear Trudeau telling people to hold on for a few more weeks, a few more months. This isn’t going away as soon as 2020 ends.

I think some people have just decided to bury their head in the sand with this. That you like it or not, we are absolutely all in this together. You just can't avoid the consequences of a global pandemic, that you BELIEVE IT OR NOT. That's why it's kinda discouraging to see so many people having selfish/incredulous actions/speeches

Any virological outbreak like this will affect every single soul on the planet, it could be health, it could be financially, socially, etc. Even if you're invincible, the fact that not everyone is will make big societal changes around you.

It's not because we accept what the "authorities" ask that we are white sheep looking to be controlled, or that we don't firmly wish things would be very different. There's just no human way to avoid it, not on a small planet with 7.2 billions people.

Last edited:

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I'm a fairly young, healthy person and I'd be happy to wait to get a vaccine if it meant they prioritized the most vulnerable people first. Get them all immunized and you can pretty much re-open everything - business as usual. Doesn't take a genius to figure it out. You roll the dice on the people who have proven to be very resilient to the most harmful effects of the disease and let them wait until later in the year when more vaccines can be distributed.

If we don't get the most vulnerable people to the front of the line and immunized we're never going to get out of this f***ing mess. So now the question becomes: how many people in Canada need to be part of the first wave of immunizations? And in what timeline can we accomplish that?

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville

Well, some of the Small Business Owner's frustration should be directed at his colleagues who didn't follow the rules. After all, the lockdowns and shutdowns only occur because people don't follow the rules. It's not like the government (provincial or federal or municipal; doesn't matter) are doing this out of masochistic enjoyment.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Well, some of the Small Business Owner's frustration should be directed at his colleagues who didn't follow the rules. After all, the lockdowns and shutdowns only occur because people don't follow the rules. It's not like the government (provincial or federal or municipal; doesn't matter) are doing this out of masochistic enjoyment.
Ya, I agree, I'm just venting and am frustrated with the rules that are crushing small business.

It's frustrating to see a small business not be allowed to sell something while a company like amazon, wal mart, or PC Superstore can.

I fully believe that the government is not doing this because they want to and are looking after the publics best interest. It just really sucks for small business.

Reactions: DrEasy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad