Everything Avs...3 day break edition

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Oh I'm not advocating for playing games with Landeskog's contract. I'm just saying that in general it's good to appreciate the bigger picture instead of having tunnel vision. It's the right decision to resign him, but that doesn't mean that you can't look at the alternatives to make sure you're making the right decision.

Realistically, what alternatives on less than an 8m per deal could replace Landeskog and all that he brings to the team?

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Is Girard injured? He wasn't listed on Sunday's practice lineup

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
This and Seattle gets an early negotiation period on top of it. They could easily pay Landy 10-11m per. This is not a game worth playing.
My goodness. Let Landy go if he’ll cost that much or remotely near it. That is a contract we don’t want any part off. I’d run away from Landy at $9mm AAV so $10-11mm AAV would be dodging a bullet.

Why do some of you guys seem comfortable with Landy on a lousy deal when better Avs like Makar, Mack, Rants and perhaps Byram or Newhook will be in their primes as Landy leaves his. The Avs should have a long window of contention. Makar is 22, Sam 22, Rants 23, Byram and Newhook 19. Why sacrifice part of the window to pay a real good but not great player in Landy an above market salary for several seasons.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
We see a very clear difference consistently when Landy is not on the top line. Hoffman/Saad/Tata/Foligno etc are all a significant drop in quality compared to Landy. Just get Landy signed to a reasonable deal now and don't mess with a good thing.
That line looked good when Donskoi was on it. There are about 200 NHL forwards that would put up great numbers playing with Rants and Mack. There are alternatives to Landy both on and off the roster if he’s going to demand a big pay raise. Those two lift Landy much more than he lifts them. He’d be foolish to assume the Avs need to give him a huge raise to keep that line intact. He’s easily the most replaceable forward on the first line and first PP unit.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Points wise, there are several alternatives. Like Hall for example. But I agree with @Northern Avs Fan that there are other intangibles that aren't easily replaceable, if at all.

That is really the point, and points wise I'm not sure it could be replaced. I think Hall is going to cost more than 9-10m this next go round. He's going to be PPG+ this year next to Eichel and prove the doubts on him 'wrong.' I put that in quotes because I think the real questions will still be there as much as ever. It is just easy to cover up when he puts up offense.

My goodness. Let Landy go if he’ll cost that much or remotely near it. That is a contract we don’t want any part off. I’d run away from Landy at $9mm AAV so $10-11mm AAV would be dodging a bullet.

Why do some of you guys seem comfortable with Landy on a lousy deal when better Avs like Makar, Mack, Rants and perhaps Byram or Newhook will be in their primes as Landy leaves his. The Avs should have a long window of contention. Makar is 22, Sam 22, Rants 23, Byram and Newhook 19. Why sacrifice part of the window to pay a real good but not great player in Landy an above market salary for several seasons.

The Avs won't and can't get to 10-11m. The point of the statement is if Landy can negotiate with Seattle, they can go to a level where he is almost certainly gone. The Avs couldn't match it and Seattle would go all in to set their culture right away. The Avs have to re-sign Landy prior to avoid that situation.

Contention windows almost always end earlier than people expect. We heard for years that Winnipeg had a long window and would be contenders for all of the near futures, so they could delay moves and keep building depth. They delayed to a point where they had to make some late moves and could never get over the top. The Avs needs to continue to build on the team and should not voluntarily get worse over the next few seasons. The MacK contract is going to cause a small reset no matter what. His raise alone is going to cause depth issues and could close the window for a few years (if not longer). The idea that window is guaranteed to be open for a long time is misguided. It could end much earlier. Landy leaving would play a large role in closing the window.

That line looked good when Donskoi was on it. There are about 200 NHL forwards that would put up great numbers playing with Rants and Mack. There are alternatives to Landy both on and off the roster if he’s going to demand a big pay raise. Those two lift Landy much more than he lifts them. He’d be foolish to assume the Avs need to give him a huge raise to keep that line intact. He’s easily the most replaceable forward on the first line and first PP unit.

We've seen over and over again that the first line is less effective without Landy. Not sure how many more times we need to see it for it to really sink in...

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I mean Mack looked good with Dong and Calvert for a small sample size, I don't think that means we should be putting those guys with Mack. When those 3 are playing together the only line that is a better unit is the Boston line. We're going as far as the top line and Makar will take us.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
But we will get a full rundown on the quality of his shitty AirBNB
:laugh:

I forgot about the whole Airbnb thing. Once he got locked out. Another time he rented a room (not the entire place) and stayed with a bunch of other random people. Oh man that guy is a concert.

Reactions: Avsboy

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
When Landy is on the top line, we have arguably the best line in the league. I don’t know why they keep trying to put him on the second line. I get the idea but it almost never works
True but its not like Jared commits to those changes very long either. One game is all it took for him to reunite the three. Landeskog is our best option at the spot right now. Best line in hockey is still Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
:laugh:

I forgot about the whole Airbnb thing. Once he got locked out. Another time he rented a room (not the entire place) and stayed with a bunch of other random people. Oh man that guy is a concert.
The last one in Edmonton had bed bugs and he had to leave during the day because pest control was coming :laugh:

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Yes there is. Bura is a damn good hockey player. Graves has been as well. You don’t let guys like this walk out the door for nothing as if they don’t matter at all. Especially Bura for goodness sakes. That’s awful asset management and your team will suffer for it. I suppose you think we should protect UFAs like Grubs and Saad too? Maybe Calvert?

It makes zero sense. Zero sense for an expansion team to take a UFA. So Avs should use that to their advantage. Dont waste precious slots on UFAs. Don’t waste one on EJ either. If he won’t waive. You retain a million or two over the last two years of his deal and trade him.

it’s surprising to me that many of you don’t seem to haven’t thought this thru with our UFAs. As if the idea hadn’t occurred yet. Well let it wash over you. Think about it before irrationally lashing out.

you keep beating this drum. In no world does the chance of losing one of the best left wings in the league and captain of this team for the last 8 seasons outweigh the difference between losing a solid nhl player from the roster for a different solid nhl player from the roster.

The avs are going to lose a roster player. Accept that and move on.

The only reason the avs didn’t lose a solid roster player last x draft was because their roster had no depth.

every team is going to lose a player, and the better deeper teams will lose good players. Just the way the cookie crumbles.

the instant a player walks to ufa the team loses that players rights and verbal agreement or not, that player and his agent are going to make a decision in the best interest of the player, not a decision in the best interest of the players most recent team.

this is not a video game. If a team wants to pay landeskog more money on a longer contract than the avs can give him, he’s going to think long and hard about it. If the avs sign him while he’s still under contract that variable of uncertainty can’t exist.

Reactions: LTC Pain

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
If Landy is willing to listen to offers like Tavares and Petro did then he's as good as gone.

That said, Sakic said that he'll stay so we have to believe him. He won't make it to UFA.

You seem to be the most staunch believer in this and constantly arguing as if this is fact when everything points to the contrary. Idk, I just don't think it's as big of a deal as you're making it out to be.

I am in no way suggesting the route of not protecting him and re-signing him as a free agent, nor do I think it will get to that point.

Personally, no point in rehashing all of this. Let's get back to this week's schedule!

Last edited:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Potentially, yeah... but Seattle could pay that with ease and get a very marketable young(ish) captain to set the culture on the very ground floor. That would be worth the weight in gold to them and they could far out bid anybody else in the league. If you let it become a bidding war with Seattle, the Avs simply can't match it... which is why this should be done way prior to the expansion draft.

My assumption is Hall is still going to be Seattle's franchise player until he signs somewhere else. I only see Seattle dishing out one mega contract (7 x 10-11 mil), and Hall plays a more exciting, marketable game than Landy. If I had to choose I would still take Hall over Landy in a vacuum. On the Avs I wouldn't but starting a franchise from scratch and everything else being is equal, i'd take Hall.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Seattle can select a pending UFA and would own that players rights until July 1st, and that player counts as their selection from that team.
Not the right days. The expansion draft is circa 7/21/2021. The draft is 7/23 and free agency is 7/28. So there is one week between the expansion draft and free agency.

if the Avs had Landy drafted by Seattle and he elected to resign with the Avs. They literally lose no one to the expansion draft. Don’t trade any picks to Seattle to protect anyone exposes. Would be an unbelievably ideal scenario.

what really happens is we probably lose Graves or Jost to Seattle if we’re unlucky and someone like JTC or Donskoi if we’re lucky.

Reactions: Belgican

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
My assumption is Hall is still going to be Seattle's franchise player until he signs somewhere else. I only see Seattle dishing out one mega contract (7 x 10-11 mil), and Hall plays a more exciting, marketable game than Landy. If I had to choose I would still take Hall over Landy in a vacuum. On the Avs I wouldn't but starting a franchise from scratch and everything else being is equal, i'd take Hall.

Personally don't see Hall signing up with Seattle. He went to Buffalo on the notion he could test the contenders again next year with less teams facing cap issues... and that Buffalo might take a step forward. I'm sure Seattle would love to grab Hall and would pay a pretty penny for him. Given the chance, I'm sure they'd love to scoop up both Landy and Hall. There are plenty of worse ways to start a brand new team than either or both of them. Without a doubt, Seattle is the single team who can offer any free agent the most money next year. With a good enough plan, they could really recruit some talent to set them on the right track immediately.

One thing with Seattle is they have unlimited flexibility on contracts. Teams will want to dump contracts on them, but they don't have to take them. They could pay 10m per to 3 players then fill with depth instead of taking on the bad contracts around the league. Say 10m each to Hall, Landy and Hamilton.. they still have over 50m to fill out the rest of the roster while having 3 1st line/pairing players on the team to start.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
you keep beating this drum. In no world does the chance of losing one of the best left wings in the league and captain of this team for the last 8 seasons outweigh the difference between losing a solid nhl player from the roster for a different solid nhl player from the roster.

The avs are going to lose a roster player. Accept that and move on.

The only reason the avs didn’t lose a solid roster player last x draft was because their roster had no depth.

every team is going to lose a player, and the better deeper teams will lose good players. Just the way the cookie crumbles.

the instant a player walks to ufa the team loses that players rights and verbal agreement or not, that player and his agent are going to make a decision in the best interest of the player, not a decision in the best interest of the players most recent team.

this is not a video game. If a team wants to pay landeskog more money on a longer contract than the avs can give him, he’s going to think long and hard about it. If the avs sign him while he’s still under contract that variable of uncertainty can’t exist.

this one assumption keeps getting made here is simply isn’t accurate. Landy isn’t one of the best left wings in the NHL. He’s just a real good player at the tail end of his prime. He’s not uniquely gifted in any way. He’s not an elite skater, not elite size or strength, he’s not an elite passer, shooter or stick handler. He’s not elite defensively and we don’t have him on the PK for reasons I don’t understand. He’s got a solid 200 foot game. Hes consistent, usually healthy, plays pretty tough. I’d offer him something like $8mm aav for six years and give him a full NTC. Any more and I say. Good luck and expose him to Seattle. You don’t go above $8mm aav unless you get something like only 5 years. And you don’t go to 8 years period. Seven years only if they aav starts with a $7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad