Everything Avs...3 day break edition

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
this one assumption keeps getting made here is simply isn’t accurate. Landy isn’t one of the best left wings in the NHL. He’s just a real good player at the tail end of his prime. He’s not uniquely gifted in any way. He’s not an elite skater, not elite size or strength, he’s not an elite passer, shooter or stick handler. He’s not elite defensively and we don’t have him on the PK for reasons I don’t understand. He’s got a solid 200 foot game. Hes consistent, usually healthy, plays pretty tough. I’d offer him something like $8mm aav for six years and give him a full NTC. Any more and I say. Good luck and expose him to Seattle.

Landeskog is 10th amongst LWs since 17-18 in points, 10th in goals, and 7th in points per game during that stretch. He is an important faceoff guy, even as a wing... his win percentage is way higher than any left wing and stands top 50 in the league (he was downright elite on faceoffs last year). He is as physical as you really want a top line guy to be... he is in a comparable range as Benn and Cheese. Blocked shots are not always a great stat to have, but he is top 10 amongst LWs in that area. He is also a top 10 takeaway guy. His advanced stats defensively are very good. He gets Selke votes in a time where wings are getting less and less love in that area. In nearly every measure he is a top 10 LW in the game or close to it. He isn't elite like Marchand or Bread, but he is one of the best top line LWs in the game.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
this one assumption keeps getting made here is simply isn’t accurate. Landy isn’t one of the best left wings in the NHL. He’s just a real good player at the tail end of his prime. He’s not uniquely gifted in any way. He’s not an elite skater, not elite size or strength, he’s not an elite passer, shooter or stick handler. He’s not elite defensively and we don’t have him on the PK for reasons I don’t understand. He’s got a solid 200 foot game. Hes consistent, usually healthy, plays pretty tough. I’d offer him something like $8mm aav for six years and give him a full NTC. Any more and I say. Good luck and expose him to Seattle. You don’t go above $8mm aav unless you get something like only 5 years. And you don’t go to 8 years period. Seven years only if they aav starts with a $7.
I'm glad you aren't the GM. What a horrible way to treat your captain.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If I were Landy, I would propose Sakic to sign after the XD, so that he can protect one extra valuable player
Then he gets seriously hurt in the playoffs which ends up costing him ~40M and Seattle picks Graves, the same player they'd have picked if he didn't do that.

Brillant strategy. :dunce:

Reactions: McMetal

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
Then he gets seriously hurt in the playoffs which ends up costing him ~40M and Seattle picks Graves, the same player they'd have picked if he didn't do that.

Brillant strategy. :dunce:

what’s your point, lots of UFA’s chose the free agency route every year, are they all crazy to take that risk of injury too instead of re-signing with their team ??

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
what’s your point, lots of UFA’s chose the free agency route every year, are they all crazy to take that risk of injury too instead of re-signing with their team ??

It's a calculated risk/reward.

If the reward is to get a much better contract from another team, or to go play in a different city that you like better it's worth the risk for the player.

If the reward is for your team to protect one more player in the expansion draft, not so much.

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
Maybe it’s worth the risk for Landy. Anyway, I’m quite sure he would accept a handshake deal if asked, he’s fully dedicated to the Avs, and Sakic already openly said that the signing could very well come after the season, looks like Sakic and Landy are on the same page here, they are not in a hurry at all

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Personally don't see Hall signing up with Seattle. He went to Buffalo on the notion he could test the contenders again next year with less teams facing cap issues... and that Buffalo might take a step forward. I'm sure Seattle would love to grab Hall and would pay a pretty penny for him. Given the chance, I'm sure they'd love to scoop up both Landy and Hall. There are plenty of worse ways to start a brand new team than either or both of them. Without a doubt, Seattle is the single team who can offer any free agent the most money next year. With a good enough plan, they could really recruit some talent to set them on the right track immediately.

One thing with Seattle is they have unlimited flexibility on contracts. Teams will want to dump contracts on them, but they don't have to take them. They could pay 10m per to 3 players then fill with depth instead of taking on the bad contracts around the league. Say 10m each to Hall, Landy and Hamilton.. they still have over 50m to fill out the rest of the roster while having 3 1st line/pairing players on the team to start.

I thought Hall signed in Buffalo because of a few reasons - one reason was that no contender was willing to pay him enough so he went with plan B - Buffalo. He signed with Buffalo, but if he was true to his word about wanting to play for a contender then I believe that's where the NMC comes to play. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a handshake deal that if Buffalo is out of a playoff spot come the TDL, Hall will get his choice where he wants to be traded to. It would be a win-win as Buffalo is able to convince Hall to sign with them , as I don't think Hall would've signed if he wasn't promised to be traded or be allowed a say in his destination. On Hall's side he still gets paid, sets him up to have a great year playing beside Eichel, and gets to play for a contender come playoffs.

But anyways, I don't see any contenders able to afford Hall's $10-11 mil contract that Seattle is able to give him. You do make a decent point about being able to offer multiple players $10 mil contracts though.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I thought Hall signed in Buffalo because of a few reasons - one reason was that no contender was willing to pay him enough so he went with plan B - Buffalo. He signed with Buffalo, but if he was true to his word about wanting to play for a contender then I believe that's where the NMC comes to play. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a handshake deal that if Buffalo is out of a playoff spot come the TDL, Hall will get his choice where he wants to be traded to. It would be a win-win as Buffalo is able to convince Hall to sign with them , as I don't think Hall would've signed if he wasn't promised to be traded or be allowed a say in his destination. On Hall's side he still gets paid, sets him up to have a great year playing beside Eichel, and gets to play for a contender come playoffs.

But anyways, I don't see any contenders able to afford Hall's $10-11 mil contract that Seattle is able to give him. You do make a decent point about being able to offer multiple players $10 mil contracts though.

The plan in Buffalo is clearly to pull a Jeff Skinner. I won't be surprised if the result is similar, too.

Great season leading to a huge contract that will turn out to be a bad value for the team (Buffalo again?) from day 1.

Skinner started the 2nd season of his 8 year contract on the 4th line. He's making 9M a year. That's unbelievable.

The worst part is Buffalo will have a ton of pressure to re-sign Hall if he has a good season because of the urge to please Eichel. That's what happened with Skinner.

Last edited:

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Reactions: AvsFan29 and Avs

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
The plan in Buffalo is clearly to pull a Jeff Skinner. I won't be surprised if the result is similar, too.

Great season leading to a huge contract that will turn out to be a bad value for the team (Buffalo again?) from day 1.

Skinner started the 2nd season of his 8 year contract on the 4th line. He's making 9M a year. That's unbelievable.

The worst part is Buffalo will have a ton of pressure to re-sign Hall if he has a good season because of the urge to please Eichel. That's what happened with Skinner.

I don't see Hall signing with Buffalo, I could very well be wrong but this is most likely a pit stop for Hall to show that he can still produce. I don't think Hall is chasing max $ where he will sign with the highest bidder, rather more like Tavares where he still wants to get paid while playing competitive hockey. Seattle or a contender will be his destination, but my money is on Seattle as I can see them having a pretty decent team right off the bat.

OxfordAvs

May 12, 2019
“Bura is a damn good hockey player. Graves has been as well. You don’t let guys like this walk out the door for nothing as if they don’t matter at all
This is pretty ridiculous to read when the entire argument is that the Avalanche should risk leaving Landeskog exposed to the expansion draft/to UFA, literally allowing him to walk out the door for nothing as if they don’t matter at all.
Even if Landeskog honored this “handshake agreement” him and Sakic might supposedly agree to, allowing other teams to make offers to him allows them to also set his market value. It’s hard to imagine the price to resign Landeskog wouldn’t go up if he reached UFA as well.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I've been to 107th in Edmonton... it isn't that bad. You Canadians are just soft. :nod:

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I grew up in Millhoods. No where near as awful as north east Edmonton. Clareview station anyone?

Quick Google search shows that it's an area filled with drug addicts and prostitutes. What's not to like?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->