Post-Game Talk: Everyone Was Off-Topic, A Predictable Result At The End Of The Day... (Preds 4-1 Habs)

POTG (05/01/2019)

• Total voters

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
What a pathetic game. Imagine paying for that.

Also, Habs crowd has to be the most overrated in all of sports. They sit on their hands, they're on their phone and only make noise when the huge ass screen tells them. Basically, they're a louder crowd because it's the biggest damn arena in the league.

Watch other teams. Every NHL crowd sucks. Honestly, in games where the crowd has a reason to cheer the BC is decent.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
DapperAllFairybluebird-max-1mb.gif

when the Habs lose and you've been holding the cherry picked stats in all week and can finally let loose.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
A few guys were decent, Weber, Benn had a few good ****s (kills me to say that), lots of guys going through the motions.

Something is wrong with Gallagher though, looks really odd out there.

Jordie at one point was behind the net making moves my drunk eyes had never seen him make before. Hilarious.

Reactions: Habs

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
What a pathetic game. Imagine paying for that.

Also, Habs crowd has to be the most overrated in all of sports. They sit on their hands, they're on their phone and only make noise when the huge ass screen tells them. Basically, they're a louder crowd because it's the biggest damn arena in the league.
I was there and honestly couldn't disagree more. The crowd there reacts to stuff actually happening in a way only a few other places will because they are watching the game and know what they are watching. Also tonight I met a Canadian legend and icon:
20190105_205733.jpg

Bring back the Expos!!!
20190105_210422.jpg

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Is this real -- was the game a bobblehead night for Plekanec?

Capture-d%E2%80%99%C3%A9cran-2019-01-05-%C3%A0-10.42.42.png

Awk-ward.

In real life, when the Habs ditched Plekanec, they turned turned him into a head that didn't bobble all that much ...

Njf2jrj.gif

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Gat damn it i used to love SUBBAN so freaking much but i haye the fact that i hate the predz and PK so ****ing much now. My life’s upside down...and ive been drunk 3 times tbis week. Damnnn
Come in and sit down and tell us what happened to cause all of this, get it off your chest man.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Boston in particular is a team that turned it around without really tanking. They missed the playoffs two seasons in a row, but finishing as the top team that didn't make the playoffs, finishing 9th both years they missed. They didn't pick Top-10, but turned it around with the emergence of someone like McAvoy (who was picked 14th) and especially the emergence of Pastrnak and Marchand taking his game to another level.

In fact, Bruins are one of MB's favorite examples of a team that didn't need to tank, actually fight for a playoff spot, and even if they missed it, turned it around.
Boston didn't tank? Well lets try good asset management. They sold the farm on almost everything to get 3 first round and 3 second picks in one year. Bye Lucy, bye Dougie. Only Debrusk has been great from 2015. Pasternak was 25th overall in 2014 and McAvoy was 14th in 2016.

Now we had a pretty good one in Sergechev, but thats another can of worms.

Its not tanking, its better scouting and managing your assets. Like selling petry would be this year. A litmus test I doubt we pass. Now some will argue we have poor scouting. 24 teams passed on pasternak. We picked Sergechev before McAvoy. Not that it matters because we went all in and then decided to trade a couple of aces for 2 new cards that happen to be a 3 of spades and an 8 of dunce.

Now that we have established that the bruins moved assets for more picks(ie TANK). Only 1 out of 3 of the 1st rounder panning out. Do we then move to the argument that MAYBE it might be our development. They have 3 solid 1st rounders out of 5 in 3 years. They picked in the middle but had 2 complete busts. Pasternak is an outlier like Gallagher(though gally a LOT more so) . So out of 4 draft picks in the 13-15 rang in 2 years the bruins had 2 good picks and 2 busts. But that is more of a rebuild than we have done and it was intentional unlike us finishing poorly AND winning the lotto to move up a slot, even if people forget we did.

Sorry this post is not very focused.
1 Bruins did tank and had 4 draft picks in the middle area in those 2 years (along with 3 seconds with those 3 firsts in 2015)
2 They had 2 work out and 2 bust
3 SO is it their drafting, or development. How does this relate to ours.

Even if you have good scouting, as one would have to assume because of pasternak at 25th and McAvoy at 14th. That means that they failed 5 times with Six top 52 picks and succeeded with One in the 2015 draft.

So how is a team with one of the worst development records(habs) in the last 7 years going to do better? Question needs to be asked, what was the previous requirement on scouting. We know Big Mac and Tinordi were priorities for MB. We have seen that that was some bad direction from our GM. But even if drafting improves we can see from the bruins that even with lots of picks you still don't have a sure bet.

We need to make sure we have the best position to draft this year and hopefully with enough draft picks to beat the odds. So a tank isn't a tank-its asset management and making sure you get the best bang for your picks. We need to do a properly rebuild, not a retool, not a reset. That means selling assets so we don't win as many games and adding as many picks as possible, not trading picks for the likes of TDL Ott King Martinsen and Benn(the jordie variety) for a first round drubbing. Even if we draft 8the its better than 18th. Maybe we still get that 18th or 29th from trading a petry, or we do this a few years ago when we should have instead of holding onto assets till they have no value while struggling to make the playoffs.

We know one thing, our speed is not going to work well for us in the playoffs. Small and fast (not highly skilled) and our poor special teams will make things even harder. We don't need to be huge but this team is not rugged enough to make a deep run, despite man mountain.

Do we really need to look at buffalo and toronto?

Last edited:

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
When Habs beat Bruins, there were no injuries. If anything, the real omission from that game is Weber.

The bruins have had a massive amount of injuries this year. HUGE. We always say our guys aren't back to 100% when they come back from injury. Is it not true for other teams?

And its the bruins. How rarely do the habs not get up for a game against the bruins. And if my memory serves we have a fairly large edge in victories against them even when we are terrible and they are not. The one year we lost all our games is not the norm.

Lets not pretend we are in their league. We aren't. We just always play well against the bruins.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
A pretty good life policy, but I like bein' unpredictable on weekends, it keeps the missus guessing and comfortably uncomfortable, just as she likes it.

Sometimes I take her out for the whole day while recording the games to watch later, other times I snuggle with her on the couch and watch the games while she watches TV series on her laptop.

EDIT: One shouldn't underestimate a wife's cuddliness, nor the fun one gets while messing with her while she intently watches her favorite series.
My wife has been watching the series Nashville on netlfix, I love to riff on it. I find the show nothing but a bad country themed soap opera with all the bulletpoints hit. I knew I would watch another boring soap opera if i watched the other nashville tonight. Only caught a few highlights .

Reactions: Rapala

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
A few guys were decent, Weber, Benn had a few good ****s (kills me to say that), lots of guys going through the motions.

Something is wrong with Gallagher though, looks really odd out there.

Both Gally and Byron have been struggling, could be something wrong with both of them.

Roke

Jul 21, 2003
Winnipeg
So, how did the debut for the Habs' puppy go?

(When they announced they were fostering it this was the game it was supposed to debut in).

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Watch other teams. Every NHL crowd sucks. Honestly, in games where the crowd has a reason to cheer the BC is decent.
Yeah, but Montreal used to have the best fans (at least the loudest anyway) in the league. It's kinda sad to see what's become of the Bell center.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The bruins have had a massive amount of injuries this year. HUGE. We always say our guys aren't back to 100% when they come back from injury. Is it not true for other teams?

And its the bruins. How rarely do the habs not get up for a game against the bruins. And if my memory serves we have a fairly large edge in victories against them even when we are terrible and they are not. The one year we lost all our games is not the norm.

Lets not pretend we are in their league. We aren't. We just always play well against the bruins.
Not anymore.... they've cleaned our clock the last year or so when we've played them.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

When the Habs beat the Bruins in October in Boston, they weren't injured yet. Their injuries came in November, long after that game. Which was the argument I was making that Habs can't beat playoff teams. They can and they have. They lose to them, too. They also beat and lose to non-playoff teams, as well.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Boston didn't tank? Well lets try good asset management. They sold the farm on almost everything to get 3 first round and 3 second picks in one year. Bye Lucy, bye Dougie. Only Debrusk has been great from 2015. Pasternak was 25th overall in 2014 and McAvoy was 14th in 2016.

Its not tanking, its better scouting and managing your assets. Like selling petry would be this year. A litmus test I doubt we pass. Now some will argue we have poor scouting. 24 teams passed on pasternak. We picked Sergechev before McAvoy. Not that it matters because we went all in and then decided to trade a couple of aces for 2 new cards that happen to be a 3 of spades and an 8 of dunce.

Now that we have established that the bruins moved assets for more picks(ie TANK). Only 1 out of 3 of the 1st rounder panning out. Do we then move to the argument that MAYBE it might be our development. They have 3 solid 1st rounders out of 5 in 3 years. They picked in the middle but had 2 complete busts. Pasternak is an outlier like Gallagher(though gally a LOT more so) . So out of 4 draft picks in the 13-15 rang in 2 years the bruins had 2 good picks and 2 busts. But that is more of a rebuild than we have done and it was intentional unlike us finishing poorly AND winning the lotto to move up a slot, even if people forget we did.

1 Bruins did tank and had 4 draft picks in the middle area in those 2 years (along with 3 seconds with those 3 firsts in 2015)

Even if you have good scouting, as one would have to assume because of pasternak at 25th and McAvoy at 14th. That means that they failed 5 times with Six top 52 picks and succeeded with One in the 2015 draft.

So how is a team with one of the worst development records(habs) in the last 7 years going to do better? Question needs to be asked, what was the previous requirement on scouting. We know Big Mac and Tinordi were priorities for MB. We have seen that that was some bad direction from our GM. But even if drafting improves we can see from the bruins that even with lots of picks you still don't have a sure bet.

We need to make sure we have the best position to draft this year and hopefully with enough draft picks to beat the odds. So a tank isn't a tank-its asset management and making sure you get the best bang for your picks. We need to do a properly rebuild, not a retool, not a reset. That means selling assets so we don't win as many games and adding as many picks as possible, not trading picks for the likes of TDL Ott King Martinsen and Benn(the jordie variety) for a first round drubbing. Even if we draft 8the its better than 18th. Maybe we still get that 18th or 29th from trading a petry, or we do this a few years ago when we should have instead of holding onto assets till they have no value while struggling to make the playoffs.

We know one thing, our speed is not going to work well for us in the playoffs. Small and fast (not highly skilled) and our poor special teams will make things even harder. We don't need to be huge but this team is not rugged enough to make a deep run, despite man mountain.

Bruins trading Jumbo Joe opened the door to their Cup. Assets they got were nothing special, but the money freed helped them nab Chara, would be critical in knocking out a pre-emasculated Pacioretty and weakening us so they could survive to the next round. But who the f*** is going to let a simliar Dman just go to UFA now?

Boston Bruins: Still Feeling Effects From Joe Thornton Trade

Bruins f***ed up 2015 and there was criticism before hindsight had a chance to sink in. Barzal, Connor, and Chabot were the projected picks, but they chose otherwise. Now hindsight is here, and Barzal, Connor, and especially Chabot are all doing very well. So, even the better Bruins can f*** up a draft. I would not trust Marc Bergevin to not f*** up something. Nor would would I expect him to find real solid Dmen like Andrew Ference or Dennis Seidenberg. The guy loves f***ing pylons. We don't need pylons. f***, it would be to drag Kaberle back and watch him suck defensively while contributing some offense than watch just-as-inept pylons suck defensively with no offense.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Should move this post to the Bergevin thread so it doesn't get buried. :thumbu:
Ah what the heck some folks around here are good at ignoring the obvious. :laugh:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

On the tanking or not tanking argument, I'm fine with either case. I don't oppose selling off assets to get more picks. But Boston didn't tank. And all they did was trade two players (Lucic and Hamilton). They kept Bergeron, Chara, Marchand, Krejci, and Rask. And they made those moves at the draft, not the trade deadline, where they could have used what was left of the season to improve their chances at a better pick. That tells me that they weren't even interested in tanking. They just made some moves to get more picks. Lucic, btw, had one year left on his deal. So they decided that he wasn't part of their new identity and moved him. And Lucic was already on the decline.

It was asset management. Credit to Sweeney on those moves. But let's remember, this was Sweeney's first move as a GM. He was hired a month before the draft. So it's easier for a new GM to come in and make these moves.

And yet, the next two seasons, they fought to make the playoffs. They missed them, but their aim was not to miss them. That isn't what I'm saying Montreal needs to do. What I'm saying is that management sees that as an example of a team who competes for a playoff spot and in the meantime, turned it around quickly.

Also, I don't know how much credit you can give their scouting staff for having Barzal, Boeser, and Chabot available to them with those three consecutive picks and all they could claim from those picks is DeBrusk.

As for drafting and developing, I think Montreal has put the right people in place. I'm not one who thinks Timmins is bad at scouting and drafting. But I think on the development area of the organization, steps were taken this past off-season that will bear fruit in the coming years. Habs prospects had to go from Lefebvre to Therrien. Now they have to go through Bouchard to Julien/Ducharme. I feel a lot more comfortable with that idea. Bouchard and Ducharme haven't proven anything at the pro level, but watching Laval games, you can see the difference already. Evans, Vejdemo, Fleury, and Alain are first year pros who are looking better as the season progresses. Even McCarron is in beast mode the last month and a half (injured now). Audette's playing the best hockey he's ever played since jumping in the pros. All this to say that Habs look to have addressed that area and there is more hope for these prospects than before.

And for what it's worth, I think the 2017 and 2018 drafts in particular will change the fortunes for the future of this franchise.

As for Pastrnak, Habs didn't miss out on him, though. He was selected right before they could make their pick.

And a correction on Tinordi, he wasn't an MB priority, as he was selected in 2010, two years before MB was GM.

Also on asset management, Bergevin has made his share of mistakes. But what he was able to get for Pacioretty despite the very public divorce is good asset management. He got a player for the present (Tatar), a player for the very near future (Suzuki), and a player for the longer view (draft pick). You can also say it was good asset management to trade for Armia, two draft picks, Steve Mason for only an AHL defenseman in Simon Bourque (who is now in U-Sports). And then using the available cap space to buy Mason out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aldo Montoya

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
You can also say it was good asset management to trade for Armia, two draft picks, Steve Mason for only an AHL defenseman in Simon Bourque (who is now in U-Sports). And then using the available cap space to buy Mason out.
A monkey would've made that move.

Jul 6, 2016
Both Gally and Byron have been struggling, could be something wrong with both of them.

Smaller guys being injured, maybe ? Byron does not belong on a line with Domi and Drouin, anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad