Post-Game Talk: Everyone Was Off-Topic, A Predictable Result At The End Of The Day... (Preds 4-1 Habs)

POTG (05/01/2019)

• Total voters

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Since they returned from the west coast trip in Nov, they have faced teams that are in the playoffs as of today in 10 games, 2 wins, 8 losses.

In order of games from Nov 19th on (Caps - L, Buf - L, Bos - L, SJ- L, Bos - L, Col - L, Vegas - W, TB- L, Dal - W, Nas - L)

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Here's what I find hard to understand. Instead of giving Habs credit for winning those games, people take it away from them by saying the other team was bad at the time or they weren't in the playoffs at the time of the game.

If they won tonight, what would it be? They beat a playoff team or they beat a team that lost 7 of their last 9 games?

And by the way:

Pittsburgh won 6 of their first 10 games. Their struggles started in November. When Habs played them twice at the start of October, Pittsburgh was not into their struggles yet.

When Habs beat Bruins, there were no injuries. If anything, the real omission from that game is Weber.

The first game against Vegas, sure they weren't in the playoffs at the time. Habs were down 2-0 after one period and still found a way to win it. And even if at that moment, Vegas was below the playoff line, they're still a playoff team.

The Islanders aren't a playoff team now, but when Habs mounted the comeback and beat them in the shootout, they were a playoff team. Does that count?

Also, Vancouver isn't in the playoffs now, but when Montreal beat them in Vancouver, they were in the playoffs.

There are other examples for sure. But what matters more? The team is a playoff team overall in the season even if they're not in a playoff spot at the time of the game? Or it only matters if a team is a playoff team at the time of the game even if they're not in a playoff spot at this very moment?
Actually yes, if you really want to breakdown performance and standings, everything should be looked at. It's just very annoying and long, people also just assume over the stretch of a season, things even out.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Here's what I find hard to understand. Instead of giving Habs credit for winning those games, people take it away from them by saying the other team was bad at the time or they weren't in the playoffs at the time of the game.

If they won tonight, what would it be? They beat a playoff team or they beat a team that lost 7 of their last 9 games?

And by the way:

Pittsburgh won 6 of their first 10 games. Their struggles started in November. When Habs played them twice at the start of October, Pittsburgh was not into their struggles yet.

When Habs beat Bruins, there were no injuries. If anything, the real omission from that game is Weber.

The first game against Vegas, sure they weren't in the playoffs at the time. Habs were down 2-0 after one period and still found a way to win it. And even if at that moment, Vegas was below the playoff line, they're still a playoff team.

The Islanders aren't a playoff team now, but when Habs mounted the comeback and beat them in the shootout, they were a playoff team. Does that count?

Also, Vancouver isn't in the playoffs now, but when Montreal beat them in Vancouver, they were in the playoffs.

There are other examples for sure. But what matters more? The team is a playoff team overall in the season even if they're not in a playoff spot at the time of the game? Or it only matters if a team is a playoff team at the time of the game even if they're not in a playoff spot at this very moment?

They are 7 games over 500 and its obvious they are rebuilding. I was hoping they would win but not surprised based on where this team is at. Hopefully, at the trade deadline they continue to acquire prospects/picks. They way I see it, this team for the last 15 years been stuck in the middle with decent regular seasons but not being an upper echelon team (minus a couple of collapses). If they continue on the path of adding prospects there will be some more pain before we turn the corner. IMHO - TO rebuilt, LA has done it, and so has Boston and look at them now.

I'm not surprised by the negativity but this loss should not have come as totally out of left field. They need to keep moving forward and call this what it is a rebuild. Hopefully, many of the WJC prospects pan out.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
What a pathetic game. Imagine paying for that.

Also, Habs crowd has to be the most overrated in all of sports. They sit on their hands, they're on their phone and only make noise when the huge ass screen tells them. Basically, they're a louder crowd because it's the biggest damn arena in the league.

Come out to Vancouver for a game and I'll show you a worse crowd.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
They are 7 games over 500 and its obvious they are rebuilding. I was hoping they would win but not surprised based on where this team is at. Hopefully, at the trade deadline they continue to acquire prospects/picks. They way I see it, this team for the last 15 years been stuck in the middle with decent regular seasons but not being an upper echelon team (minus a couple of collapses). If they continue on the path of adding prospects there will be some more pain before we turn the corner. IMHO - TO rebuilt, LA has done it, and so has Boston and look at them now.

I'm not surprised by the negativity but this loss should not have come as totally out of left field. They need to keep moving forward and call this what it is a rebuild. Hopefully, many of the WJC prospects pan out.

Boston in particular is a team that turned it around without really tanking. They missed the playoffs two seasons in a row, but finishing as the top team that didn't make the playoffs, finishing 9th both years they missed. They didn't pick Top-10, but turned it around with the emergence of someone like McAvoy (who was picked 14th) and especially the emergence of Pastrnak and Marchand taking his game to another level.

In fact, Bruins are one of MB's favorite examples of a team that didn't need to tank, actually fight for a playoff spot, and even if they missed it, turned it around.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
What a pathetic game. Imagine paying for that.

Also, Habs crowd has to be the most overrated in all of sports. They sit on their hands, they're on their phone and only make noise when the huge ass screen tells them. Basically, they're a louder crowd because it's the biggest damn arena in the league.

Games at the BC used to be electric. Not so much anymore.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Boston in particular is a team that turned it around without really tanking. They missed the playoffs two seasons in a row, but finishing as the top team that didn't make the playoffs, finishing 9th both years they missed. They didn't pick Top-10, but turned it around with the emergence of someone like McAvoy (who was picked 14th) and especially the emergence of Pastrnak and Marchand taking his game to another level.

In fact, Bruins are one of MB's favorite examples of a team that didn't need to tank, actually fight for a playoff spot, and even if they missed it, turned it around.

They traded popular and still back when the trade was made good players for picks and kids though. Something according to most fan we should not do this year (imo we should 100% do it). They traded away Lucic and Hamilton for picks (1st and two 2nd for Hamilton and two 1st and Miller+Kuraly For Lucic). This is like us trading Petry and Byron. Not happening. We just don't have the guts to do it.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
They traded popular and still back when the trade was made good players for picks and kids though. Something according to most fan we should not do this year. They traded away Lucic and Hamilton for picks (1st and two 2nd for Hamilton and two 1st and Miller+Kuraly For Lucic). This is like us trading Petry and Byron. Not happening. We just don't have the guts to do it.

Thing is, Boston was in the middle of trying to change their identity. And Lucic and Hamilton didn't fit it. Also, it was a new GM, so moving those players wasn't as hard. Whereas Petry and Byron actually fit what Montreal is trying to accomplish, being quicker and more mobile. They may be older than most players in the team, but they do fit the identity the team wants to have. Would a new GM come in, I'm sure they'd be willing to move them.

psychonaut

Sep 4, 2003
Since they returned from the west coast trip in Nov, they have faced teams that are in the playoffs as of today in 10 games, 2 wins, 8 losses.

In order of games from Nov 19th on (Caps - L, Buf - L, Bos - L, SJ- L, Bos - L, Col - L, Vegas - W, TB- L, Dal - W, Nas - L)

Ouch, are the 2nd part of the season might not be as good as I was thinking it will be.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Thing is, Boston was in the middle of trying to change their identity. And Lucic and Hamilton didn't fit it. Also, it was a new GM, so moving those players wasn't as hard. Whereas Petry and Byron actually fit what Montreal is trying to accomplish, being quicker and more mobile. They may be older than most players in the team, but they do fit the identity the team wants to have. Would a new GM come in, I'm sure they'd be willing to move them.
Hamilton was skilled and probably a little soff. But the big thing was that he was due for a paycheck and Boston decided he wasn't worth the room.
Lucic was also moved for the money, and to be proactive because he was getting old and benefitted from Krejci.
But changing their identity is just moral BS made by a guy who doesn't understand the CAP dominates moves like those above all else.

But if you seriously expect to land two supberb centers with two second round picks like Bergeron and Krejci, you'll be waiting for a long time. Has there been any other teams built that way? You don't go chasing for statistical outliers like that.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native

The year they landed Kessel at #5 was also the year they landed Lucic and Marchand. Finishing lower in the standings likely means Marchand goes somewhere else.

It also requires very good scouting to find diamonds in the rough like those, and bad scouting from other teams.

They didn't tank from 1999-2004(part of the period where they picked Krejci and Bergerons) because they had some first overall pick named Joe Thornton f***ing that up.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
This loss was so predictable that I (rightly) chose to take out the missus for a soirée instead of staying in to watch us lose. Smart of me, I know.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
This loss was so predictable that I (rightly) chose to take out the missus for a soirée instead of staying in to watch us lose. Smart of me, I know.
Been doing that on Saturdays since 016

(Caught the third period of the WJC though)

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
There’s a difference between an on paper evaluation before the year starts and how you evaluate the team after half a season of seeing them play. Where they were “suppose” to be on paper in August/September means nothing.
Notice some Hab fans do that now. Look for success in comparing the team to last years team. ( last years team always sucks)

and the bar lowers yet again

Last edited:

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Been doing that on Saturdays since 016

(Caught the third period of the WJC though)

A pretty good life policy, but I like bein' unpredictable on weekends, it keeps the missus guessing and comfortably uncomfortable, just as she likes it.

Sometimes I take her out for the whole day while recording the games to watch later, other times I snuggle with her on the couch and watch the games while she watches TV series on her laptop.

EDIT: One shouldn't underestimate a wife's cuddliness, nor the fun one gets while messing with her while she intently watches her favorite series.

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
A pretty good life policy, but I like bein' unpredictable on weekends, it keeps the missus guessing and comfortably uncomfortable, just as she likes it.

Sometimes I take her out for the whole day while recording the games to watch later, other times I snuggle with her on the couch and watch the games while she watches TV series on her laptop.
Ha!
Yes we do dinner and movie. Plays. Concerts. Friends place. What ever. She has been pretty happy since MB and Therrien took over and ruined the organization. For decades I rarely missed a period let alone a game. Those days are long gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
Too bad we lost... onto the next.
Glad I didnt watch tonight :)

Was it a collective fail from the team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad