Post-Game Talk: EVERYBODY PANIC (or not), Hawks lose in Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Surely, it must be a coincidence that Q is struggling to find someone for the 3rd line, and that Bickell looks more than ever like an overpaid slug. The truth is he can't do it himself. Q doesn't like Morin there. Who will be next? Mills, Beach, Hayes ... or just leave Brookbank there?

Versteeg, when we are healthy.

SLarmer28*

No they don't, they miss Frolik and Bolland.
Dave Bolland will miss the vast majority of the 2013-14 NHL Season with a lacerated Achilles tendon. Last season, Dave Bolland posted the worst +/- and Corsi rating by any forward on the Chicago Blackhawks was a failure as the team's second line center.

The Chicago Blackhawks miss Ray Emery more than Stalberg, Carcillo, Mayers combined.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
@ xX Hot Fuss:

We’re in the strongest division in the NHL. It’s not even debatable and there’s a real chance that a very decent team maybe two are going to miss the post season in the West this season. It shouldn’t be us, no, but nothing should be taken for granted. Coasting is a very risky option for any team in the West until a spot is clinched.
Is it time to panic? Of course not, but the obscene hockey that we have witnessed in Nashville and Colorado can’t simply be ignored, hoping it will go away. Q has some work to do, and should be on the verge of reading the riot act. A good start will be to balance out the top six. With a full line-up or without Hossa, the combo 23-37-88 won’t work. This is the last time I’m going to say it, promise, and if Q insists on playing them together, I hope I’m wrong, but they scare me every shift when they lose possession.

It's very much debatable. So far the pacific division has looked better than the central, imo. The disparity between the two divisions in the West is not as great as the disparity between the two in the East, with the metro being atrocious, but I really think you're exaggerating how strong central is...especially since I doubt Colorado will hold up all season.

Bring Back GLR

Commit to the Indian
Nov 8, 2006
Blackhawkville
The Pacific has 5 teams that could all win it. Really more like 3 though as Vancouver is sliding and Phoenix will wear out soon. Central has only 3, us St.Louis and Colorado.

Even with our recent struggles If the Hawks were to play anyone in the West in a 7 game series right now we would win. There is too much experience and too many horses that have been there and done that on our side.

SLarmer28*

Bollig in last 4 games has 8 PIMs(all leading to PPs I think) and a -2. Yet for some God known reason he played more than Marcus Kruger? I mean shouldn't Morin get a spanking since Bollig has been so bad?
Brandon Bollig is still a better hockey player than John Scott.

Or would you rather have Coach Q yank Andrew Brunette from the couch?

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
I understand how some would say we miss Emery, and we do a bit. But if our defenders and forwards were playing this sloppy in our own end Emery would be letting in more goals than Crow. Crow is way better than Emery, no comparison. Emery's save % this year is under .90. Yes, he is on a lousy team but we are playing poorly in our own end and have for much of the year. Our goal scoring has bailed us put many times.

Razor and Crow both played well last year, but alot of that was also a product of the puck possession game of ours and the solid play in our own end. This year we still dominate the puck possession, but we give teams so many odd man rushes and stupid plays in our own end it has really hurt at times. We did this in 2011/2012 season a lot. Crawford is not on the level of a Quick, Smith, or even a Raask. He is not a brick wall most nights and if the team plays sloppy in our own end he doesn't make all the stops to cover up mistakes.

The sloppy play in our end and the PK is the only real concern I have. Could give a rats arse who plays 3w or 4th line, we need to see the sloppy careless play fixed very soon. That is the top priority.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I understand how some would say we miss Emery, and we do a bit. But if our defenders and forwards were playing this sloppy in our own end Emery would be letting in more goals than Crow. Crow is way better than Emery, no comparison. Emery's save % this year is under .90. Yes, he is on a lousy team but we are playing poorly in our own end and have for much of the year. Our goal scoring has bailed us put many times.

Razor and Crow both played well last year, but alot of that was also a product of the puck possession game of ours and the solid play in our own end. This year we still dominate the puck possession, but we give teams so many odd man rushes and stupid plays in our own end it has really hurt at times. We did this in 2011/2012 season a lot. Crawford is not on the level of a Quick, Smith, or even a Raask. He is not a brick wall most nights and if the team plays sloppy in our own end he doesn't make all the stops to cover up mistakes.

The sloppy play in our end and the PK is the only real concern I have. Could give a rats arse who plays 3w or 4th line, we need to see the sloppy careless play fixed very soon. That is the top priority.

Hmmmm … One of the contributors to such a successful campaign last season was the fact that offense was not limited to the top 6. Goals came from elsewhere. VS opened up some ice for BB and they worked well together resulting in some timely goals. This season our dmen are (still) getting involved offensively which takes a bit of pressure off the top 6, but I’d like to see more from the 3rd line as a genuine threat to ops. Hopefully Versteeg will help that out once Hossa gets healthy (and won’t hurt us defensively), but right now BB is not nearly the factor he was last season. Seldom does he get a chance to use his potent wrist shot, for example. Shaw does have his moments but it seems to me to be those moments are when he gets the odd PP or time with the top 6.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Coldsteel said it best [paraphrase] "I don't pay attention to the playoff race until 50 games in".

Even if the Central is the best division in the NHL, it'd be the best division in the NHL...in November. i.e. meaningless

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
The Av's are for real.

Yeah they're stacked at forward and Varlamov/Giguere have been unreal. But they don't really have any depth at D, which could cost them in the playoffs

Colorado is a fun team to watch, especially when Duchene is playing.

Last edited:

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Hmmmm … One of the contributors to such a successful campaign last season was the fact that offense was not limited to the top 6. Goals came from elsewhere. VS opened up some ice for BB and they worked well together resulting in some timely goals. This season our dmen are (still) getting involved offensively which takes a bit of pressure off the top 6, but I’d like to see more from the 3rd line as a genuine threat to ops. Hopefully Versteeg will help that out once Hossa gets healthy (and won’t hurt us defensively), but right now BB is not nearly the factor he was last season. Seldom does he get a chance to use his potent wrist shot, for example. Shaw does have his moments but it seems to me to be those moments are when he gets the odd PP or time with the top 6.

We lead the NHL is goals per game. We are also giving up almost a goal more per game this season compared to last. Our PK was 3rd in the league last season and we also led the league in fewest PIM. This year we are second to last on the PK. Our defense and PK are the biggest problems by far in my mind. 3rd and 4th line offense is not hurting us too much if we lead the NHL is scoring. They could be much better of course.

As well we have potentially a great 3rd line in Shaw, Bicks, and Steegr. With Hoss out and now Bicks we cant see what that line can do. Morin or whoever else comes from Rockford is not going to make the third line magical at the moment with the injuries, we may just need our last 2 lines to hold the opposition and ride our top 2 lines until healthy.

I would love to win some 2-1 games, really love it. I think we actually need a few low scoring wins to get some confidence in the goaltending and play in our zone. Our offense is fine now and will be graeat when everyone is healthy.

Bring Back GLR

Commit to the Indian
Nov 8, 2006
Blackhawkville
Hawks know they can score goals in bunches, I say they really try to lock it down a bit more. Tighten up, the GA stat is on fire right now. Some 2-1s or maybe even a shutout for once would be nice.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Yeah, when people just deal with wins and loses, it makes the slant seem much smaller. Factor the regulation ties and it's a very different story.

No, I don't agree with that.

The other thing you have to keep in mind is the presence of outliers. 8 of the Pacific division's loses have come at the hands of Edmonton and Calgary. That's the same number of loses that 5 other teams have combined for (including OT losses).

In any event, I don't know simply comparing the record of two divisions against each other is the best way of determining which is best. By that count, the Metropolitan and the Atlantic have identical records against each other (21-16-5) - does that mean both divisions are equally good? From what I have seen this season so far, I would not agree with that statement.

Top to bottom I think the Pacific is better as well.

I think it's more top loaded. It's got more very good (or, at least, pretty competitive) teams than the central...but it also has the two worst teams in the conference.

I think that by the end of the season, 5 of the WC playoff teams will be from the Pacific and 3 will be from the Central (i.e. both wild card teams will be from the Pacific).

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The usual suspects will never, ever admit this ... but this team misses Stalberg. Shaw and especially Bickel are in a black hole offensively without him.

Stalberg ,, Missed :biglaugh:

Stalberg was an absolute joke who missed the playoffs (As usual) and has been so damn good in Nashville that a team starving for offense has scratched him multiple times and put him back in his usual role on 4th line

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Stalberg ,, Missed :biglaugh:

Stalberg was an absolute joke who missed the playoffs (As usual) and has been so damn good in Nashville that a team starving for offense has scratched him multiple times and put him back in his usual role on 4th line

Broken record response as I expected. VS had 19 shifts and 14:10 of ice last night and got an assist in a 2 - 0 win over Wings. Also scored the back breaker goal the game before against us. Once he gets Trotz system, that ice time will increase. Salary cap not included I'll take him over Versteeg every time. He's more versatile, plays bigger and opens up more ice than Kris will ever do.... but why bother typing this. Your mind closed years ago... as did others. I suppose you say or type something often enough and the naiive will take it as fact.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
We lead the NHL is goals per game. We are also giving up almost a goal more per game this season compared to last. Our PK was 3rd in the league last season and we also led the league in fewest PIM. This year we are second to last on the PK. Our defense and PK are the biggest problems by far in my mind. 3rd and 4th line offense is not hurting us too much if we lead the NHL is scoring. They could be much better of course.

As well we have potentially a great 3rd line in Shaw, Bicks, and Steegr. With Hoss out and now Bicks we cant see what that line can do. Morin or whoever else comes from Rockford is not going to make the third line magical at the moment with the injuries, we may just need our last 2 lines to hold the opposition and ride our top 2 lines until healthy.

I would love to win some 2-1 games, really love it. I think we actually need a few low scoring wins to get some confidence in the goaltending and play in our zone. Our offense is fine now and will be graeat when everyone is healthy.

It's not how many goals we score, it's when we score them, and quite often who scores them. At crunch time it can be the bottom 6 that get key goals when needed most. If you think this team can rely strictly on our top 6 to score all year and in the PO's, you're mistaken. We need a guy like BB to be playing confident hockey, not getting frustrated playing with slugs... and for the ops to be aware that he is a threat. As I said earlier, hopefully Versteeg can fill some of that void and will gain some good chemistry with BB and Shaw. We will need it.

Last edited:

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Broken record response as I expected. VS had 19 shifts and 14:10 of ice last night and got an assist in a 2 - 0 win over Wings. Also scored the back breaker goal the game before against us. Once he gets Trotz system, that ice time will increase. Salary cap not included I'll take him over Versteeg every time. He's more versatile, plays bigger and opens up more ice than Kris will ever do.... but why bother typing this. Your mind closed years ago... as did others. I suppose you say or type something often enough and the naiive will take it as fact.

And if he never gets Trotz's system, I'm sure that will somehow be on Trotz (just like Q before him) instead of Stalberg for not being a very good hockey player.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
And if he never gets Trotz's system, I'm sure that will somehow be on Trotz (just like Q before him) instead of Stalberg for not being a very good hockey player.

It's NEVER Stalberg's fault. It's always everyone else for not using him properly.

You have to remember the guy you are talking to once blamed Toews and Kane for not properly using Stalberg as their winger. The Stalbergites left logical thinking regarding him behind a long time ago, and they are so upset about it, they would rather hope for him to do well than the Hawks, should the choice come up, or any Hawk that he is unfavorably compared to (which is basically all of them given his performance this season).

Stalberg is a bad hockey player. They need to move on. The verdict is already reached and the jury has gone home.

:shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad