Post-Game Talk: Every Game Should Be Against Tampa!

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Still leading the team in goals with Hagelin.

I love Nash but his presence here makes people want to turn Gaborik into him, for some reason. Were the Thrashers fans this way about Kovalchuk and Heatley?

I just don't see a reason to have a 7.5 million dollar winger who doesn't have a constant effect on the game. I get scoring goals is important, but if the Rangers are investing THAT much towards the cap the player has to be a difference maker every night even if he doesn't score. Nash has just shown many people the light of what that type of player actually looks like.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I just don't see a reason to have a 7.5 million dollar winger who doesn't have a constant effect on the game. I get scoring goals is important, but if the Rangers are investing THAT much towards the cap the player has to be a difference maker every night even if he doesn't score. Nash has just shown many people the light of what that type of player actually looks like.

For the most part this is correct... But Nash CREATES... Gabby is like a ghost who takes advantage of opportunities. Last night he had a few good chances but didn't cash in. As a ghost, he otherwise isn't noticeable. That doesn't mean he isn't getting chances but when he's not... He's MIA.

No doubt Nash had a monster game and was very noticeable... If Gabby were to have a monster game he'd pot 2-5 goals but he'd still be unnoticeable the rest of the time.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Some great things for the Rangers in this game:

• This is a completely different team offensively with Nash (and Powe) in the lineup. Rolling 4 lines confidently and having Gaborik on the 3rd was very balanced.

• Pyatt has been one of the most consistent forwards this season. You know what you are going to ge tout of him every night. Solid board play.

• If this was an 82 game season, Hagelin would be on pace for 30 goals. He has really taken the next step, for a guy who is so fast he is learning how to slow the game down for himself at the right time and it is opening up a ton of offensive opportunities for him and his linemates.

• Its borderline impossible that Nash continues to get around 10 shots per game, half of them being glorious chances and none of them go in, maybe one late - like we've seen. If he consistently plays like this they will start going in the net, in bunches.

• Richards looked better. A lot more energized. Won a TON of faceoffs.

• Lundqvist stood tall after a bad game.

• Staal is very quietly building himself back into a #1.

• Stepan continues to play well and is starting to finish plays.

• The Rangers have games in hand on 11 out of the other 14 in teams in the conference. Pitt and NJ are coming back to earth, and teams are finding it difficult to separate themselves from the pack, especially the bubble teams. Nows the time to start getting points. Build on this.

-------

The negatives

• Gabby oh Gabby where art thou?

• Eminger didn't take full advantage of an opportunity to keep himself in the lineup.

• The Lightning admittedly played like garbage for the first third of the game. Give the Rangers credit for taking advantage, but they need to bury more goals on teams early and take them out of it. Form that killer instinct.

• Allowed a team to build momentum in the third again. Granted, its TB who have scored the most goals in the NHL, but they need to keep the pedal down with a 2 goal lead. I thought they had decent moments of forcing the play at times but it wasnt enough to lock it up completely.

TheRedViper

Dec 12, 2008
Niagara

I love Nash but his presence here makes people want to turn Gaborik into him, for some reason. Were the Thrashers fans this way about Kovalchuk and Heatley?

He's recorded a point in 1/3 of the games played... I'll take Hags and his 7 goals, vs Gaborik and his 7 goals.

Bardof425*

Being centered by Boyle. lol. I always gave Boyle the benefit of the doubt but he is nothing more than a 4th line center. Good guy to have defensively and on the pk but not centering your all star winger.

Last night the PK worked this way:

Step Cally
Halp Powe

and the third pair

was Boyle and Hags

If Boyle is not going to be a prominent pk player he is a waste of a roster spot. Not sure what Torts is doing here.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
We don't have to "take" one or the other. Hagelin didn't score a triple overtime winner in a crucial playoff game with a separated shoulder.

Nash, Gaborik, Callahan, and Hagelin are a set of four wingers most teams would love to have.

Vickers8

• Eminger didn't take full advantage of an opportunity to keep himself in the lineup.

Eminger 4:20, 1 penalty, didn't see the ice in the 3rd period, however he seems to get his shot on net, creating scoring chances..too slow

Mickaleen

May 8, 2012
Upstate NY

Awesome post, my sentiments exactly.

TheRedViper

Dec 12, 2008
Niagara
We don't have to "take" one or the other. Hagelin didn't score a triple overtime winner in a crucial playoff game with a separated shoulder.

Nash, Gaborik, Callahan, and Hagelin are a set of four wingers most teams would love to have.
Except Gaborik has been relegated to the third line because of his play. If he's not scoring, he's not doing much of anything, which is fine IF he's scoring. This year, he's not doing too much of that. Paying a guy 7.5m to be held of the score sheet in 2/3 games is a waste of money. He eats up close to 20 minutes of ice time a night, and isn't doing anything with it.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Yeah, he hasn't been great 19 games into a season where we're gunning for the cup.

If you guys want to go into the postseason without Gaborik, rather than with him, then you've lost me.

Jan 8, 2012
NY

Sure. I'd love to have a team of Nash's.

Last edited:

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
Gaborik looks completely lost out there. I don't know if he's burnt out or what. He's too scared to play tough on the boards like the rest of the team. He is the odd man out, and when he's not scoring or looking dangerous offensively he just flat out doesn't belong on this team.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Yeah, he hasn't been great 19 games into a season where we're gunning for the cup.

If you guys want to go into the postseason without Gaborik, rather than with him, then you've lost me.

i wouldnt trade him this year, but if we get to july around the draft and we get a solid offer for him which improves the team i'd deal him. hes not gotten a point in 13 out of the teams 19 games this season.

Heyoooo*

Wasnt one of the drawing points of acquiring Nash that on any given night, one of the three big forwards could have an on night while the other two have an off night? Next game could be Richards' game. Next game after that could be Gaboriks'. Then Nash, etc.

Gaborik will be fine. I have complete confidence he will get going again because hes done it twice here in 3 seasons.

You fellas gotta give it time. Nash, Richards and Gaborik have played what, 15 games together? ****ing 15?

Are we all that ****ing surprised a player who wasted away 9 years on one of the league's worst franchises is playing his heart out on a much better team to prove himself? Im certainly not. Its not a revelation. Hes embracing this opportunity.

HankyPanky30

Feb 12, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
All I have to say is Carl Hagelin. That is all. Fell in love with this kid the day he got called up and potted one against the Flyers. Lighting quick, amazing on the puck, and he is fast. O by the way, did I mention that he was fast? :yo:

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
All I have to say is Carl Hagelin. That is all. Fell in love with this kid the day he got called up and potted one against the Flyers. Lighting quick, amazing on the puck, and he is fast. O by the way, did I mention that he was fast? :yo:

I think it's fair to say this kid has already surpassed all "potential" he had be credited with. Who knows how good this kid will continue to get? It's very exciting.

Dorado*

Some great things for the Rangers in this game:

• This is a completely different team offensively with Nash (and Powe) in the lineup. Rolling 4 lines confidently and having Gaborik on the 3rd was very balanced.

• Pyatt has been one of the most consistent forwards this season. You know what you are going to ge tout of him every night. Solid board play.

• If this was an 82 game season, Hagelin would be on pace for 30 goals. He has really taken the next step, for a guy who is so fast he is learning how to slow the game down for himself at the right time and it is opening up a ton of offensive opportunities for him and his linemates.

• Its borderline impossible that Nash continues to get around 10 shots per game, half of them being glorious chances and none of them go in, maybe one late - like we've seen. If he consistently plays like this they will start going in the net, in bunches.

• Richards looked better. A lot more energized. Won a TON of faceoffs.

• Lundqvist stood tall after a bad game.

• Staal is very quietly building himself back into a #1.

• Stepan continues to play well and is starting to finish plays.

• The Rangers have games in hand on 11 out of the other 14 in teams in the conference. Pitt and NJ are coming back to earth, and teams are finding it difficult to separate themselves from the pack, especially the bubble teams. Nows the time to start getting points. Build on this.

-------

The negatives

• Gabby oh Gabby where art thou?

• The Lightning admittedly played like garbage for the first third of the game. Give the Rangers credit for taking advantage, but they need to bury more goals on teams early and take them out of it. Form that killer instinct.

• Allowed a team to build momentum in the third again. Granted, its TB who have scored the most goals in the NHL, but they need to keep the pedal down with a 2 goal lead. I thought they had decent moments of forcing the play at times but it wasnt enough to lock it up completely.

Wait NYR aren't a bubble team ? I'm confused 10 th place isn't that below the bubble ?

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
In a perfect world Hank would be running away with 2nd place in the poll.

Yeah Nash had a great game, deserves all the accolades, 1st star(wth was with the dopes who picked Cally 1st?).

But Cally and Hags above Hank last night? No way. Stole the game for us while facing few shots. That's alot harder than you think, especially while facing the guy who makes every shot of his count in this league.

That Tampa defense outside Hedman is a trainwreck. Aulie falls down ! Classic NYR Ice....

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Gaborik looks completely lost out there. I don't know if he's burnt out or what. He's too scared to play tough on the boards like the rest of the team. He is the odd man out, and when he's not scoring or looking dangerous offensively he just flat out doesn't belong on this team.

That's been his MO his whole career! The guy's a perimeter player, he doesn't like getting his hands dirty. I'm tired of all this ******** on here about how he's a ghost and a kung fu ninja and he's like Chuck Norris whispering in the ****ing wind and opposing teams don't see it coming. Gimme a break.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

It's really exciting to see him score on a rocket like he did last game and almost did against Price (I think it was him, sound was off). He's going to get goals just by busting his ass. If he can get a semi-consistent shot watch out. I wouldn't be shocked to see him pot 30 at some point.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Wait NYR aren't a bubble team ? I'm confused 10 th place isn't that below the bubble ?

Hate to be positive because of one mediocre team we own, but we're 6 behind the Pens with 2 games in hand and 4 behind the Devils. We can realistically still win the division.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
That's been his MO his whole career! The guy's a perimeter player, he doesn't like getting his hands dirty. I'm tired of all this ******** on here about how he's a ghost and a kung fu ninja and he's like Chuck Norris whispering in the ****ing wind and opposing teams don't see it coming. Gimme a break.

I'm not very happy with him this year, or 2 years ago. Still, I remember people complaining about how most of his goals were rebounds in empty nets, then you read this.

BTW, how many dirty goals does Stamkos get? You don't need to get goals around the net if you're scoring from the outside. The problem is Gabby hasn't been.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad