Evander Kane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Teams that have won since DW's first full season:

Tampa, Carolina, Anaheim, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Boston, LA, Washington, St Louis. 10 teams in 17 seasons. Using the "no rings" argument fails to recognize how few teams, players, executive staff actually win. It's fair to criticize his bad deals the last 5 years, but to dismiss his ability to win a cup when so few teams have won is picking spoiled, low-hanging fruit.

For the record, I've been pretty disappointed with the moves he has made since the Kane trade. That said, I also think he has handcuffed himself with and to the team, meaning that he can't make any drastic moves and that anyone replacing him won't be able to do better. That also means that constantly complaining about DW and his moves while offering no substantial solutions has grown incredibly tiresome to sift through on this site.

How many other teams had two Hall of Fame forwards for their entire primes and still failed to win a championship during DW's tenure with the Sharks?

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
How many other teams had two Hall of Fame forwards for their entire primes and still failed to win a championship during DW's tenure with the Sharks?

Totally forgot 2 players and a GM are the only ingredients to winning in the cap era. Thanks for reminding me. But the Canucks come to mind.

Also, Marleau is only getting into the hall because of the Games Played record. Let's not pretend he was ever on the same caliber as other #2 forwards on cup winning teams. (Zetterberg, Perry, Malkin, Toews, Point).

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
Jumbo picked up Kane at the airport.
Jumbo leaves and now everyone hates Kane.
Did Jumbo keep him in check?

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Totally forgot 2 players and a GM are the only ingredients to winning in the cap era. Thanks for reminding me. But the Canucks come to mind.

Also, Marleau is only getting into the hall because of the Games Played record. Let's not pretend he was ever on the same caliber as other #2 forwards on cup winning teams. (Zetterberg, Perry, Malkin, Toews, Point).
Also thinking of Edmonton who has cycled through 3 different Hart Trophy winners in the past decade and won like 1 playoff series. Have two of the top 5 players in the entire league and still aren’t anywhere close to being a contender.

Washington finally got theirs, but their getting 2 games further in the season doesn’t really differentiate them much in terms of the job that the GM did in assembling the team. I.e. in a macro sense DW has put great teams out there for most of two decades. At some point it falls on the players to get it over the hump. Some teams were flawed, but almost every team not named Tampa Bay that wins a Cup has flaws and the players band together and get it done.

Outside of Yzerman, not many guys out there that I’m pointing to and saying that guy is a clear upgrade over DW. Change for the sake of change in that sort of position rarely works out.

Reactions: Alwalys

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Remember when Babcock left Detroit and everyone thought he was the missing link in Toronto? Yeah, it’s not so easy finding consistency.

polmaniac932

Mar 25, 2006
San Jose
www.youtube.com
While I’m not sure I want Kane on the team, you have zero basis for this. You going use stats from 8 years ago to prove last season was a fluke? He’s been a top 6 forward at worst with the Sharks and a team MVP at best.

ZERO basis? Are you suggesting it’s hard to find a scoring forward declining in his 30s?

Plus, you can use stats from 1-2 years ago to prove his point.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Also thinking of Edmonton who has cycled through 3 different Hart Trophy winners in the past decade and won like 1 playoff series. Have two of the top 5 players in the entire league and still aren’t anywhere close to being a contender.

Washington finally got theirs, but their getting 2 games further in the season doesn’t really differentiate them much in terms of the job that the GM did in assembling the team. I.e. in a macro sense DW has put great teams out there for most of two decades. At some point it falls on the players to get it over the hump. Some teams were flawed, but almost every team not named Tampa Bay that wins a Cup has flaws and the players band together and get it done.

Outside of Yzerman, not many guys out there that I’m pointing to and saying that guy is a clear upgrade over DW. Change for the sake of change in that sort of position rarely works out.

Right, and after the TDL, really not much the GM can do.

If there were a better GM available who could somehow get the Sharks out this jam, i'd say go for it. But there isn't.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
Jumbo picked up Kane at the airport.
Jumbo leaves and now everyone hates Kane.
Did Jumbo keep him in check?
not unusual for a group of people to have one glue person who can form a connection with everyone in the group, tends to organize the meetups, be a mediator, etc.

but if they’re not around, the dynamics change and it becomes apparent that everyone there is cool with each other, but they’re not THAT cool

who knows what goes on in the locker room, but it would not surprise me if Jumbo and Pavs were those glue guys, but Couture/Burns/Hertl/EK65/etc are not

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Plus he became a pretty good passer and he seemed to have his temper under control. This whole ordeal couldn’t have come at a worse time for him or the team.

Plus he's an excellent penalty killer. It definitely came at a bad time and will ultimately put a lot of pressure on young guys to score.

My guess is that if Kane doesnt play, this team starts playing like the 19/20 Blue Jackets. Low scoring, defense-first games.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
My guess is that if Kane doesnt play, this team starts playing like the 19/20 Blue Jackets. Low scoring, defense-first games.

With our coaching staff and defensive corps?

Oof.

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
While I wouldn't blame DW for all this drama, however, at this point, even if the investigation shows that Kane has not been gambling on his own games (which I likely think is the case) if Kane is still a Shark by the start of the season I'd jump on the fire DW train.

Clearly there is something sour in this locker room, and with as many players voicing their displeasure over Kane, I can't see how a responsible GM keeps the status quo.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I think Kane could potentially fix this situation if, a. The gambling allegations are false and b. He goes on an apology tour and genuinely tries to do better. I’m doubtful but it’s possible.

I do 100% think Joe and Pavs kept him and the lock room in check. Kane hung out with Joe and I think there’s no world where Kane would be late to practice when Joe Thornton is on the team to tear him apart in front of everyone. With Joe and Pavs gone, who is left? Karlsson still feels new. Burns is kind of a goofball. Couture seems like a more introverted dude who wouldn’t want to confront Kane. Who is left? Hertl? Meier? I can’t picture it.

But also Kane needs to grow the hell up.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Pashelka speculated in Merc today that the Sharks COULD buy Kane out this summer. (As Hill has elected arbitration, the team has a 48 hour window after that contract is settled or arbitration award announced, to buy a player out.)

However, with four years remaining under contract, there would be dead cap space for EIGHT years!!!

(Arbitration hearings scheduled between August 11 and 26, IIRC.)

And the timing may be such that the Sharks do not know the results of the NHL investigation by that time. (It could be that the NHL could ban Kane if the allegations are found to be true, and eliminate any residual impact from his contract. There also may be a way to terminate contract for cause if allegations true.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad