Evander Kane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
History on retaining salary shows that those with term seem to max out around 1.5 million. I can't imagine the team going more than that in any situation. With Calgary, I'm thinking that they'd want to send Lucic back and so I'd expect it to be something like Kane with 1.5 mil retained for Lucic and a 2nd.

Thanks for replying, I just thought that since the circumstances re: Kane are somewhat, um unique that Wilson might have to make a larger concession to risk having to pay him in full for him not to play. I'd say that's a pretty fair proposal, even though I'd hate to part with Looch lmao

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Thanks for replying, I just thought that since the circumstances re: Kane are somewhat, um unique that Wilson might have to make a larger concession to risk having to pay him in full for him not to play. I'd say that's a pretty fair proposal, even though I'd hate to part with Looch lmao

According to reports from one of our beat guys, it was going to take two 1st round draft picks at least to dump Martin Jones at 5.75 mil when he was very bad. Kane is similar in terms of teams just not wanting him so I just don't see how a trade is to their benefit here. If they have to retain anywhere from 2 to 3.5 mil and pay or take back a bad contract just to get rid of him, as a team in transition, they're likely better off buying him out.

I'd have to see what kind of proposals would be thrown out there to make something work here but I have my doubts just because of how toxic Kane was even before becoming a Shark. There was nobody else that wanted him from Buffalo. I can't imagine anyone has changed their minds.

Reactions: Darth Vladar

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
According to reports from one of our beat guys, it was going to take two 1st round draft picks at least to dump Martin Jones at 5.75 mil when he was very bad. Kane is similar in terms of teams just not wanting him so I just don't see how a trade is to their benefit here. If they have to retain anywhere from 2 to 3.5 mil and pay or take back a bad contract just to get rid of him, as a team in transition, they're likely better off buying him out.

I'd have to see what kind of proposals would be thrown out there to make something work here but I have my doubts just because of how toxic Kane was even before becoming a Shark. There was nobody else that wanted him from Buffalo. I can't imagine anyone has changed their minds.

I mean, he was still arguably the Sharks' best player last season. It's a bit different from Jones' case where there was simply no value there. Kane has played relatively well everywhere he's been. I'm trying to think of another time that a player's "negative" value had nothing to do with his actual play, what he actually gets paid to do. I just think he has potential to really flourish as a player and a person given the right environment. It's too bad. Sometimes people just take a while to figure it out. It doesn't sound like his circumstances are anything team or hockey related, but what do I know? Maybe things just need to cool down a bit.

Reactions: Alwalys

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I mean, he was still arguably the Sharks' best player last season. It's a bit different from Jones' case where there was simply no value there. Kane has played relatively well everywhere he's been. I'm trying to think of another time that a player's "negative" value had nothing to do with his actual play, what he actually gets paid to do. I just think he has potential to really flourish as a player and a person given the right environment. It's too bad. Sometimes people just take a while to figure it out. It doesn't sound like his circumstances are anything team or hockey related, but what do I know? Maybe things just need to cool down a bit.

Yes he's clearly a better player but everything that surrounds him is why he is on a lot of team's do-not-acquire list. To get people to consider someone like that is going to be costly no matter how good he is. His circumstances have reportedly worn the team out on wanting him there so it is team/hockey-related and that's the big reason why he's on their do-not-acquire list. Because players all over know what he's about and don't want to deal with him. That will kill his value as if he was an overpaid shit player.

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
Yes he's clearly a better player but everything that surrounds him is why he is on a lot of team's do-not-acquire list. To get people to consider someone like that is going to be costly no matter how good he is. His circumstances have reportedly worn the team out on wanting him there so it is team/hockey-related and that's the big reason why he's on their do-not-acquire list. Because players all over know what he's about and don't want to deal with him. That will kill his value as if he was an overpaid shit player.

That's kind of the thing that bugs me about it. I don't know the truth about why he may or may not be on any team's do-not-acquire list, I only have speculation, gossip, hearsay and overblown media reports to go on. Sure, he has a bad rep, but he was ultimately cleared by the league of the gambling accusations that plagued him for weeks, then it was suddenly something else, just before the start of camp. You'd think if the issue was anything related to last season that they would have dealt with it months ago, and not let the media get a hold of it to basically tell the world to hate this guy. I dunno, there is something seemingly extracurricular about it all, but again, that's just a complete outsider's perspective. I'm just not inclined to form judgement until I have all the facts.

Reactions: Alwalys

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
He has improved a lot defensively but there are fundamentals to playing defense that he still doesn't grasp. It's not his fault, he played forward for the first 19 years of his life, but at no point have I ever felt Burns could be a bona fide #1 defenseman on a Cup team. 2021 was the first time Burns ever played shutdown minutes and that was out of necessity.
Karlsson at his prime wasn't a defensive powerhouse either, but no one would say that he wasn't a top-tier d-man. Burns was putting up PPG seasons as a d-man and playing insane minutes. The fact that he wasn't prime Vlasic doesn't take away from that, imo.

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
Jesus Christ. What else can come from this guy?

Next thing we will hear about how he regularly heads to shopping malls during Christmas to scream that Santa isn't real to all the children.
I wouldn’t mind he go Sprewell on Wilson. Will be a win/win and would probably set us free to terminate his contract for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad