Evander Kane - What’s the Issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
His passing and shooting have taken a hit from his injury. He also looks to be a little slower, whether that's age or effort related remains to be seen. When he decided that he's going to assert his will on a game physically he's still a useful player regardless of points.

Reactions: Chet Manley

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Do you have all day?
I’m retired. So, uh, yes.

Look, the dude has been long documented as being edgy, moody, and tough in the room. He was signed in Edmonton knowing all that, because in addition to what I just said, he’s also a combination of grit, FAAFO, scoring, physicality that few possess in today’s game. He’s had an up and down season, but in the past few weeks he’s been coming around. The addition of TDL players has caused the lines to be a mishmash and EK clearly wants to play with skilled offensive players (top 6) and with Edmonton’s depth situation, he’s probably a tweener, playing top 6 and at times lower, depending on who is producing and who the opponent is. Most Oiler fans aren’t too worried at this point.

As for EK, the player and public person, he has been a model player in his time in Edmonton and that is well documented. Anyone that suggests otherwise is just trying to stir shit up based on previous history versus actual behaviour In the community.

Reactions: Voight and UpHere

redandyellowcametobe

Jan 4, 2019
Man if you’re still defining him from shit from over 6 year ago then I don’t know what to say. Dude has kept his head down and kept himself out of the headlines. It’s just unfortunate that age coupled with his physicality has slowed his game down significantly.
He’s kept his head down for like two years. Big deal.

Do we not remember his antics leaving San Jose? Do we not remember his own teammates wanting him gone?

This was a sure fire 30 goal scorer that was the leading scorer on his team at the time.

Multiple hockey wives of respected veterans have written letters to the court talking about Evanders antics.

Sabers, Jets and San Jose fans all have the same story. He keeps his head down and do right by the team for a couple years… then it all goes the same way.

it is and ALWAYS was a character issue with Evander. That’s not going to go away.

I’m retired. So, uh, yes.

Look, the dude has been long documented as being edgy, moody, and tough in the room. He was signed in Edmonton knowing all that, because in addition to what I just said, he’s also a combination of grit, FAAFO, scoring, physicality that few possess in today’s game. He’s had an up and down season, but in the past few weeks he’s been coming around. The addition of TDL players has caused the lines to be a mishmash and EK clearly wants to play with skilled offensive players (top 6) and with Edmonton’s depth situation, he’s probably a tweener, playing top 6 and at times lower, depending on who is producing and who the opponent is. Most Oiler fans aren’t too worried at this point.

As for EK, the player and public person, he has been a model player in his time in Edmonton and that is well documented. Anyone that suggests otherwise is just trying to stir shit up based on previous history versus actual behaviour In the community.
Lol. “Edgy”

cupface52

Jan 12, 2008
Burlington, On
Kane is, 32, turning 33 later this year. Generally at around(31-36) this age, skills begin to deteriorate, especially when dependent on athleticism.

Last year he also had major surgery on his wrist. Before injury/surgery last year he had 5g 13p in 14 games. After coming back, 11g 15p in 27 games. From a 75p to 45p pace.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Some brilliant logic on display in this thread.
Indeed. No logic has been applied. You have only stated something. I am asking for how you could possibly know. Otherwise, you’re making an allegation you cannot defend.

Citing a persons behaviour from their past does not tell you what’s going on now.

Internet reports are not a great source of information. Kane is playing okay hockey just not scoring.

He has made a few brain dead mistakes on the ice that cost the team. Highly competitive athletes will argue on the bench.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Just Evander Kane continuing to do Evander Kane things, big reason why no other team had any interest in him. His production is still in line with where he usually is, it’s just the attitude issues coming out again.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
It's so abundantly clear half the posters in this thread haven't seen or followed him since he got to Edmonton.

This coming from a guy who hated the signing when it happened.
We have all seen this pissing matches with the coach and arguing with Leon.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
His passing and shooting have taken a hit from his injury. He also looks to be a little slower, whether that's age or effort related remains to be seen. When he decided that he's going to assert his will on a game physically he's still a useful player regardless of points.
Passing and shooting seemed fine for the first 20 games.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
i can't believe there wasn't more scrutiny over the sharks terminating his contract. just kinda happened and no one really cared enough to argue about it.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Oilers fans please fill us in. He came into Edmonton 2 years ago and absolutely lit it up in the playoffs. He has barely replicated anything similar since. What’s the issue?

He’s had some injury problems, one very serious, has a ton of personal problems that are probably on his mind and he’s getting up there in age.

Seems pretty straight forward to me?

Nogatco Rd

Owner & Operator, HFBoards LLC
Apr 3, 2021
We can continue to define him with this as he's shown time and time again he wears out his welcome on every team he's been on with off ice drama which then translates to his play on the ice and his standing among his teammates.
Hm can you give us some examples of the “off-ice drama” that’s causing him issues in edmonton?

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Just Evander Kane continuing to do Evander Kane things, big reason why no other team had any interest in him. His production is still in line with where he usually is, it’s just the attitude issues coming out again.
Well, apparently 15-20 teams expressed interest when he signed in Edmonton.

According to hockey insiders back in 2022

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Nothing has even happened - I don’t understand how people are whining about his attitude…when nothing has happened.

As expected, he will continue to deteriorate as a player as he ages and as injuries, like the cut wrist, catch up to him.

Bunch of whiners in this thread.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Man if you’re still defining him from shit from over 6 year ago then I don’t know what to say. Dude has kept his head down and kept himself out of the headlines. It’s just unfortunate that age coupled with his physicality has slowed his game down significantly.

I hate resentful assholes who hold people accountable for stuff that doesn't even matter from 5+ years ago. What has Evander Kane done to make your life worse? Who even cares. Embarassing to still be a shadow racist in 2024.
He submitted a a fake COVID-19 vaccination card 3 years ago. The guy is a moron.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
I hate resentful assholes who hold people accountable for stuff that doesn't even matter from 5+ years ago. What has Evander Kane done to make your life worse? Who even cares. Embarassing to still be a shadow racist in 2024.
And how exactly have these people you “hate” made your life worse? What have they ever done to make your life worse? You’re right, let’s not hold people accountable rather claim those that try to as racists.

How has your statement been any less accusatory than those you’re mad about?

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Hopefully he adds another gear for the playoffs. He brings a lot to the table when the game gets more physical.

But he's older and the skilled guys prefer guys that play a style more to their liking. Drai needs guys that play low risk and a style that is more conducive to keeping possession. Kane is a volume shooter.

Easy to see him moved to a rebuilding team looking for a low risk depth scorer instead of scouring the UFA market.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Kane has certainly earned skepticism based on substantive issues and bad judgement in his past. He got an essentially third strike opportunity in Edmonton and has been a solid citizen off and on the ice. His potentially fatal wrist injury has clearly hampered fine motor skills which has challenged his finishing ability though the guy is a 21 goal scorer with 19 at even strength. Kane's been shuffled around the lineup which is creating some adversity as he struggles to score and contribute. It's ultimately a test of his character - does this person slip back into old, familiar negative patterns or can he rise above his personal circumstances to be a good teammate on a good team?

I'm an Oilers fan and hope for the team's success. But I also cheer for redemption stories and hope that Kane will manage his way through adversity to conquer old demons. It's his choice to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad