Evander Kane goes off on DoPS

TheGooooch

Mar 29, 2008
San Francisco
He's one of the cancers on the Sharks, but he does have a point. The issue is there will always be some sort of interpretation. You have to deal with it. Unfortunately, that's one of Kane's issues. He doesn't deal with things like in a good way.

He isn’t a cancer on the Sharks.

Should he have sent a private letter to the DOPS? Something they can ignore and not point out the blatant inconsistencies with their ruling? Wrong. He did just as he should imo.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
"Charles Manson tees off on U.S. Justice System."

He's not wrong but he's one of the worst possible messengers with some of the worst possible timing to boot.

Reactions: Samus44

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
He isn’t a cancer on the Sharks.

Should he have sent a private letter to the DOPS? Something they can ignore and not point out the blatant inconsistencies with their ruling? Wrong. He did just as he should imo.

Him and a few other players have completely altered that dressing room makeup and attitude, and it's a big reason why the Sharks are so bad. The lack of character in their leadership group is outstanding, considering what it once was. The only reason it wasn't as bad before while Kane was there was because there were more respected voices in the room, but now that they are gone, the inmates run the asylum.

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
Perceived inconsistency is an inevitability. Not only because the rulebook is not written in a tight way and thus a whole range of decisions can be justified for any one incident, but also because just about everyone who analyzes DoPS decisions isn't evaluating them for fairness and logic, but rather is comparing them to their own personal first impression when they see an incident.

This kind of perceived inconsistency is much more likely to be a result of how hastily people jump to conclusions, how little introspective analysis is done in those conclusions, and thus how much inconsistency there is in those first impressions. This statement by Kane is equally hasty and without due consideration. Unlike most fans, the DoPS analyzes plays critically and breaks down all factors. When players, fans and media do the same, then they can have a conversation about consistency. When you have people saying [incident 1] is 'literally identical to' [incident 2] when there are significant differences between them, that conversation is pointless and goes nowhere.

Kane is absolutely right when he said that very few people in the NHL understand the rules and how they lead to decisions. I think it's about time they start paying attention.

Ty for this!

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
I agree with everything he said completely. That being said he does deserve the suspension, the DOPS needs to be more consistent. It's time to dump Parros. Don't put a former player on it.

TheGooooch

Mar 29, 2008
San Francisco
Him and a few other players have completely altered that dressing room makeup and attitude, and it's a big reason why the Sharks are so bad. The lack of character in their leadership group is outstanding, considering what it once was. The only reason it wasn't as bad before while Kane was there was because there were more respected voices in the room, but now that they are gone, the inmates run the asylum.

Please present your source on this. I’ll wait.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I don’t have a problem with anything that Kane had to say as an isolated statement, but my issue here is that he isn’t taking accountability for his own actions.

In order to take a stand on this issue, Kane had to do it BEFORE he elbowed another player in the head. All he accomplished here is to throw another player(s) under the bus. Kane is upset that Chara, in his opinion, got away with a suspendable action and Kane himself didn't.

It must also be noted that supplementary discipline is individual and based on players past actions. It's entirely possible and potentially correct that Chara and Kane would receive different punishments for exact same action.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
He's not wrong. Unless you're a Bruins fan, you are not happy with the DoPS.

How Chara avoided a suspension for a crosscheck to the throat is ridiculous...and if you say it's because of history, there are plenty of guys that have never gotten suspended that have gotten suspended for the same or less this season alone.

They pick and choose who to go after. George Parros is a total failure in the role.

No, we are not happy with elbow to the head on McAvoy, Crouse should be suspended, that should be clear as day.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
In what way is he dodging responsibility with this statement. In no way does he indicate that he is undeserving of a suspension, only that the system is inherently flawed and arbitrary

In a way that he didn't make a peep about it prior to elbowing another player in the head and facing his own supplementary discipline.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I agree with everything he said completely. That being said he does deserve the suspension, the DOPS needs to be more consistent. It's time to dump Parros. Don't put a former player on it.
This. The Department of "Player Safety" has been a joke for years now, and it's not getting any better. No matter who's been in charge, punishment has been arbitrary and it takes a really severe incident to finally get the Do"PS" to throw the book at someone when it should have been done years prior. The constant parade of former players through there has given it even less credibility - especially guys who routinely crossed the line in their playing days now somehow wielding the power to decide when players should get suspended.

It's time someone independent get installed there. I don't know that there should be a chart saying "X action earns Y games" because it's not always as clear-cut as people want to think, but I do think the criteria for deciding when a suspension can be warranted / isn't warranted needs to be more clearly established and more rigorously enforced.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach

Pete you really gotta stop. You got fired for being a bad coach not cuz of the locker room. We all see through you trying to save face at your new job in Vegas

Reactions: greasysnapper

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
If kane wanted this to be an effective statement, he would wait till after the season or not post as a response to being rightfully suspended himself. Even though he has made some points, it comes across as a serial abuser/whiner knowingly abusing the rules and whining about getting punished. This doesn't help his team.... rightly or wrongly it will most likely attract the jaundiced glare of the officials. I feel bad for his teammates.

If he actively pushes to try and make a change I take my opinion back.... how ever I'm pretty confident it doesn't go past the " why me" stage.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Crouse deserved to be suspended.
Kane deserved to be suspended.

Crouse escaping punishment does not mean Kane should get off too.
Where did he say he should get off? I’ve seen numerous Sharks fans say he should be suspended. We all know he should be f***ing suspended, but this is about consistency.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Where did he say he should get off? I’ve seen numerous Sharks fans say he should be suspended. We all know he should be ****ing suspended, but this is about consistency.

Evander's entire argument is just whataboutism. He got off, why am I getting punished.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad