Evander Kane contract termination/ bankruptcy omnithread

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
EK’s exploits hasn’t hurt the demand for his services.

Gord Miller on Twitter thinks Kane will be signed by another team by the end of the week.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
He is a really talented player that i am sure there is another NHL team willing to take the chance on him. I am sure the team going after him can also get him at a massive bargain.

No team in the NHL is going to offer him more than league minimum.

And it's not about taking a chance on him... Whomever signs him is hoping for enough goals and offensive help to make the playoffs and have some success this season and hopefully before having him on the team ends up destroying any chemistry the team has.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States

And it's not about taking a chance on him... Whomever signs him is hoping for enough goals and offensive help to make the playoffs and have some success this season and hopefully before having him on the team ends up destroying any chemistry the team has.

It's going to be a massive gamble for any team. I agree, i can't see him getting an offer much more that league minimum.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
It's going to be a massive gamble for any team. I agree, i can't see him getting an offer much more that league minimum.

I think he'll able to get at least the amount that can be buried without a cap hit, which is $1.125M, that is league minimum ($750K) + $375K. Although, if there is a bidding war, it could go above that -- it depends on how much cap a team is willing to risk. I'm not sure it will go above $2M. If I was a GM who was interested in what he could bring to my team, I think I'd feel out the players about it before I entered any kind of negotiations.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004

Wanna bet on that?

At the very least he'll get the $1,075,000 that a team would be able to hide in the AHL without affecting their salary cap.

If I were an NHL GM I would potentially offer him a lot more, but on a two way deal. If he doesn't behave he'll be demoted and get peanuts in the AHL - I believe the salary minimum there is $51,000.

He could also be a great low risk deadline flip. Sign him for $4m (pro-rated) on a two way contract, then eat 50% at the deadline. If he doesn't behave before then or it doesn't look like he'll generate a quality asset it would be easy to demote him at any time.

The acquiring team could also minimize their risk by handing over a conditional pick.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Well that didn’t take long.

c9480b408c6aa89aa15cb87391adcf9d.jpg

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I want to see him sign with the Jets just for the lulz.

I mean - he won't. The Jets have zero salary cap room to begin with, never mind the ill will on both sides. But if would be funny.

Reactions: Pandemonia

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Wait what?

so, if Kane wins his grievance vs SJ then what happens to that old contract?

He gets paid and continues on in the NHL?

like the sharks are forced into a buyout situation and they take a dead cap hit of what a buyout would be?

that seems to be the only logical conclusion if they are going to allow Kane to sign a new contract.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Wait what?

so, if Kane wins his grievance vs SJ then what happens to that old contract?

He gets paid and continues on in the NHL?

like the sharks are forced into a buyout situation and they take a dead cap hit of what a buyout would be?

that seems to be the only logical conclusion if they are going to allow Kane to sign a new contract.

NHL and NHLPA have to come to agreement that if there's a settlement or Sharks lose grievance old contract won't be resurrected.

Grievance isn't resolved/settled/arbitrated. Unknown outcome. Unknown cap impact.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Would the NHLPA's grievance on behalf of Kane be mooted if Kane signs with another team? Maybe not if he's taking a pay cut.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Kane signing with another team wouldn't eliminate the PA's grievance rights.

only thing it would really do is limit some of what the person taking the case can do if kane signs let say a 3-4 year deal with another team (doubtful). He can't exactly reinstate the contract but only make sharks pay the difference.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Kane signing with another team wouldn't eliminate the PA's grievance rights.

Kane can sign with another team but would the league accept it while the player already has a valid contract?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Kane can sign with another team but would the league accept it while the player already has a valid contract?

Kane's contract with the sharks probably won't be reinstated though its just a matter of how much of that contract does sharks give kane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad